Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Corner technique (Deion's style vs. Champ's)

smoked

Okay, after the rumor on the Mooch thread and bringing Deion over to coach DBs, I thought I'd start my first thread by asking a question regarding a statement I heard Deion make on NFLN a few weeks back.

I caught the tail end of Deion criticizing a coverage technique, I believe it was Coverage Two and the CB he was criticizing was copying the way Champ Bailey plays. Apparently Champ started a trend in this technique and Deion said he "hated" it. BUT, I don't know what he was talking about? Was it hip turn? Opening to the inside versus toward the receiver? Funnelling? The trail technique? Anyone catch this clip?

As I remember, Deion was notorious for baiting qb's into throwing his direction before picking them off whereas Champ is more of your no nonsense shut down corner. Not sure those were the specifics you were looking for but take them for what they are.

And to respond to a previous poster...I'd take Deion over Champ any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Okay, after the rumor on the Mooch thread and bringing Deion over to coach DBs, I thought I'd start my first thread by asking a question regarding a statement I heard Deion make on NFLN a few weeks back.

I caught the tail end of Deion criticizing a coverage technique, I believe it was Coverage Two and the CB he was criticizing was copying the way Champ Bailey plays. Apparently Champ started a trend in this technique and Deion said he "hated" it. BUT, I don't know what he was talking about? Was it hip turn? Opening to the inside versus toward the receiver? Funnelling? The trail technique? Anyone catch this clip?

I remember that comment as well, it was while watching the Skins/Cowboys game highlights. Moss did a double move on whichever CB was covering him and Collins hit him for the TD...and when they showed the play from a different angle with Rich asking "HOW did Moss get so open?", you can hear Deion comment "I HATE that (something) that Champ Bailey starterd..."...never knew what exactly he was referring to, though...

That's ludicrous. Champ couldn't hold Deion's $-covered boxers.

Champ's coverage > Deion

Deion's PR and KR skills > Champ

Deion's ability to return an INT for 6 > Champ

Champ's tackle ability > Deion (all day, everyday, even in his sleep)

Deion couldn't tackle a 5th grade girl standing in a closet...

Tom Cruise....come out of the closet.....OH MY GOD!!!

2.jpg

That was it Califan. Meek, I agree with your assessment especially given Deion's quickness and closing speed.

Next time, I'll use a catchier thread title, but 7 replies out of 8 views is pretty good. Maybe this bump back to the top will be get a few more views.

Thanks for the replies folks.

That was it Califan. Meek, I agree with your assessment especially given Deion's quickness and closing speed.

Next time, I'll use a catchier thread title, but 7 replies out of 8 views is pretty good. Maybe this bump back to the top will be get a few more views.

Thanks for the replies folks.

No more people are going to post in your silly thread... damn it. :doh:

This thread actually made me think of what Darrell Green is doing and why he isn't coaching? I heard him on the Doc Walker show the other day, and he made a comment about how awful a lot of corners' techniques are coming out of college. He sounded like he does a lot of free coaching anyway.

Champ's coverage > Deion

2.jpg

PR/KR skills

Deion >

Champ

INT FOR TD

Deion > Champ

Tackling ability

Champ > Deion

Ability to Scare a QB from even attempting to pass his way....

Deion > Champ

In his prime....(When he was actually PRIME TIME) Deion was the best that ever did it hands down....!!!

Where does Darrell Green fit into this equation?

TS mention Deion and coaching DBs +Darrell Green was on Doc Walker show the other day = would be cool if DG coached DBs here. That's how I came up with that thought, since you and I don't think alike.

Champ>Deion.

Thats crazy, Champ is not even near the same level as Deon was, Deon is probably the best CB ever to play football. What ever he knows about technique, I would listen to him. I Was just watching NFL NEtwork and they asked Mooch if was was talking to the Skins and he didnt really answer but he said if the right job came up then it would be a family decision and he did mention something about Deion coming with him. I now Snyder would have to swallow alot of pride to have Deion on this staff after what he did to the team in the past. I think Mooch is a great players coach and dont put a lot of stock in what happened in Detroit, their problems go deeper than him and I dont believe he had the talent to win. To me it should be Mooch, or someone from the Dungy or Belichek camps.

Focus fellas....I don't give a hoot who is better. Besides, do Blount, Haynes, or Brown ring a bell? Deion's tackling inability alone is an insult to greatness. I don't think Champ has missed a tackle in 3 years. Coverage, yes, Deion. Full package, see names above.

Oh, hell, I guess I got what what I paid for...:D

Champ's coverage > Deion

:laugh: That's awesome dude. Deion was a good corner, but they are both great in their own respects.

Actually that's ludicrous. They are pretty close, Champ just isn't a show boat pr machine.

They're "NOT" close at all bro, Deion is WAAAYYYY better than Champ Bailey bro. Deion was the best cover corner in the league "HANDS DOWN".

RED06

I can only say that I find it funny people think Deion is the "greatest ever". If you think that, you never saw a complete package CB play football and are more interested in highsteps returning INTs for TDs rather than a solid open field tackle. What's even more hilarious are those of you who believe Champ is > Deion. Are you the same people who still believe Betts > Portis???:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yikes...

Good change of pace though. I am tierd of all the coaching rumor threads. :doh:

That's ludicrous. Champ couldn't hold Deion's $-covered boxers.

actually with the no touch after 5 yards rule ill pick champ over deion anyday.champ has proven that he can still be a shutdown DB with the new rule while i remember deion always having his hands on the receivers throughout the play. i remember last year(06) when the broncos were playing seattle on monday night FB, hassleback never threw to champs side almost the whole game except for one play, and guess what happened. and what was even more impressive was the fact that champ caught the ball like he was the receiver runnung the route.

Are you guys insane?

Hate him or not, Deion Sanders is by far the best corner ever to play the game. He changed gameplans. IMO, DG is # 2 on that list, but there is a significant gap between Deion and our beloved Green, let alone Champ ****ing Bailey.

Archived