Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Corner technique (Deion's style vs. Champ's)

smoked

Here's another question for some, IF Deion was so bad why do so many players now train with him in the offseason, he must be teaching them something however miniscule it may be, that includes WR's to, they want to know how to beat the best and the best he was.

anybody remember how he used to train by running in the sand in florida, I don't think he was the best hitter or tackler, but don't make it sound like he never came up in run support or nothing either, but ill agree it wasn't his "strong point". I also never saw too many people trying to wear champ's number as opposed to players who played corner wanting to wear Deion's number, even do this day when you first see a player wearing 21 playing corner you can't tell me you don't think of Deion

I think deion is a better corner as far as coverage goes, but in today's nfl it's much harder to be a cb. In the prime of deion's career they didn't call the games like they do now so he could be more physical at the line of scrimmage and the open field without fear of being called for a penalty. Like previous people said the difference between them is that deion baited the qb into thinking the wr was open. Champ was more so try to jump the route or make a play on the ball while it's in the air. Of course I think deion's style was better just because he made so many qb's look foolish, and then they wouldn't even throw his way. The corner position is much harder than it used to be.

I don't really think so! The best wr and qb's played during deion's era! Here are some examples, Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Steve Young, Warren Moon , Jim Kelly and so on and so fourth! As for reciever's Jerry Rice, Art Monk , Chris Carter, Tim Brown, Michael Irvin, Andre Reed, and many other greats! Yeah the league has turned into a more passing league but what is that telling you about the db's in the nfl. What that tells me is that there really isn't that many great db's coming out college so teams are taking advantage of it by having 3 or more good reciever's on the field. Football is like chess or any or the game! People are always looking for advantages any way they can get it!

Here's another thing Deion does hit!!! Deion stopped hitting people when he came into Dallas! It was because by this point his ego became even bigger when he got there! But before he came to Dallas when he was a Falcon and Niner he did it all!

Very true.. Deion is one of the all time best CB.. But he was not an elite CB at every aspect of the CB position. He was SCARED to hit.. People talking about how teams wouldn't throw his way that is true, but they sure loved running it at him.

:cheers:

Very true.. Deion is one of the all time best CB.. But he was not an elite CB at every aspect of the CB position. He was SCARED to hit.. People talking about how teams wouldn't throw his way that is true, but they sure loved running it at him.

:cheers:

Oh course! Any back that wieght's more than 200 lbs can truck him! All db's get run all over including Champ!

Thanks to ForOldDC, SpringfieldSkins, Radagast, Forbidden and estrella (and other previously mentioned) for your input. All your points contributed.

jschuck, you need to apply your brakes and study a little before you open your suck regarding the play of older generation players. Blount, just so you can learn something, was one of those GREAT players "responsible" for the 1978 rules change regarding bump and run and the five yard rule. You don't need to have watched them every Sunday to know their contributions to CB play. A little modesty will get you further than the jackassery you posted.

champ tackles, deon avoids tackles.....(diving in front of people in hopes of tripping them up doesnt count)

tackling is a crucial element of the game of football.

I hope you know that what you just said is absolutely STUPID. If Deion is diving AT them EVEN in hopes of tripping them up as you say don't count, is that not even considered an attempt. Avoiding would mean to try and get out of the way, its sad that becuz he was not that great at it people mistake that for not wanting to.

Deion was a better corner than Champ and throw in the fact that teams throw on Champs side on a regular basis proves that therory.

Who owns Champ? Jerry Porter, Armani Toomer, and TO. No one owned Sanders.

Champ didnt go up againts guys like John Elway and the Steve Youngs. He didnt cover Jerry Rice. For guys that say Champ is better your being extremely silly.

BTW Champ and Smoots stats were are more comparable.

http://www.nfl.com/players/fredsmoot/profile?id=SMO486349

http://www.nfl.com/players/champbailey/profile?id=BAI582194

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/589/career

Oh course! Any back that wieght's more than 200 lbs can truck him! All db's get run all over including Champ!

No the difference is being SCARED.. I never brought up Champ, but since you mentioned him: Champ is definitely not SCARED to try to make a tackle, and further more I have seen Champ lay some bigger RB on their arse.

:dallasuck

Deion was a better corner than Champ and throw in the fact that teams throw on Champs side on a regular basis proves that therory.

Who owns Champ? Jerry Porter, Armani Toomer, and TO. No one owned Sanders.

Champ didnt go up againts guys like John Elway and the Steve Youngs. He didnt cover Jerry Rice. For guys that say Champ is better your being extremely silly.

BTW Champ and Smoots stats were are more comparable.

http://www.nfl.com/players/fredsmoot/profile?id=SMO486349

http://www.nfl.com/players/champbailey/profile?id=BAI582194

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/589/career

Some very good points but Jerry Rice did OWN Sanders.. That is why Jerry Rice is the all time greatest just a lil bit ahead of My Man Art Monk.

Some very good points but Jerry Rice did OWN Sanders.. That is why Jerry Rice is the all time greatest just a lil bit ahead of My Man Art Monk.

No he didn't, because Monk didn't throw to himself. That was up the the QB.

They moved Monk around and usually in the slot where Deion didn't want to play.

You mean they moved Rice to the Slot that year becuz Deion OWNED Rice on the outside, they even talked about how Rice hated practice that year in 94 becuz he had to go against him in practice, even tho it made both of them better.

Deion did not cover in the slot until he was really with the Ravens up until then he was mainly on that island

You mean they moved Rice to the Slot that year becuz Deion OWNED Rice on the outside, they even talked about how Rice hated practice that year in 94 becuz he had to go against him in practice, even tho it made both of them better.

Deion did not cover in the slot until he was really with the Ravens up until then he was mainly on that island

:applause: Exactly, you watch Sports Century? ;)

Deion came to the Raven and played the slot, a few dummies wanted to test him and guess what happened?? :notworthy

me flashbacks to the one year I played football in high school. Man, I was a bad CB... I never blocked a single pass. But I never got beat for a TD, either (always made the tackle). I guess that's a plus. Oh god, I'm reliving my childhood...

Just blame it on your d-line. :D

Actually that's ludicrous. They are pretty close, Champ just isn't a show boat pr machine.

Thank you. To say Deion is that far better than Champ is hating. Champ could've easily been voted defensice player of the year last year. Since he's been at Denver, he has like 24 int's with like 3 or 4 returns for TD's.

pls offer some advice to when Deion got beat as "CONSITENTLY" as Champ did, Deion made his name at FSU then backed it up when he got to ATL. Nobody is sayin he never got beat, but not to the extent that Champ has.

Deion has faced off against Moss, against the greatest show on Turf and again when he went up against the 3 that Indy threw out there, and I do believe he was on the winning side of those battles. Remember thats the House that Deion built, or u can better yet ask Andre Rison, lol

I am a big skins fan but I remember him distinctly running back a kick-off right after Desmond Howard did it,(punt) because as he was on the side-lines and putting on his helmet he muttered the words "now watch me show them how its really done" AND DID IT

Thanks to ForOldDC, SpringfieldSkins, Radagast, Forbidden and estrella (and other previously mentioned) for your input. All your points contributed.

jschuck, you need to apply your brakes and study a little before you open your suck regarding the play of older generation players. Blount, just so you can learn something, was one of those GREAT players "responsible" for the 1978 rules change regarding bump and run and the five yard rule. You don't need to have watched them every Sunday to know their contributions to CB play. A little modesty will get you further than the jackassery you posted.

Think what you want, you know damn well you didnt watch Blount play during his whole career like you did Deion, Sometimes I feel like people just post recycled comments from others. Your quote was "Deion's tackling inability alone is an insult to greatness", this shows that you are either a hater or a JAckass yourself because they basically had the same exact stats and they played the same amount of years, maybe they had different styles but the end result is superbowl victories and the Hall. You can pull up statistics for tackles on Deion but I couldnt find it for Blount. Deion is a first ballot hall of famer and to say anything he did was an insult to greatness is a joke. When you listen to older players talk about the players of today 90% of them(besides the 72 Dolphins) will admit the game is more Dynamic than it was back then. Also I agree with the earlier post that Deion went up against better competition as his era had many Hall of fame QB's. I'm not trying to be an Ass but there are such silly bold statements made like the one above and I have to state my views. If you are on the defensive then I am sorry. Also you said "modesty will get me furthur", furthur where, will I get a deduction on my tax return, please explain!

Think what you want, you know damn well you didnt watch Blount play during his whole career like you did Deion, Sometimes I feel like people just post recycled comments from others. Your quote was "Deion's tackling inability alone is an insult to greatness", this shows that you are either a hater or a JAckass yourself because they basically had the same exact stats and they played the same amount of years, maybe they had different styles but the end result is superbowl victories and the Hall. You can pull up statistics for tackles on Deion but I couldnt find it for Blount. Deion is a first ballot hall of famer and to say anything he did was an insult to greatness is a joke. When you listen to older players talk about the players of today 90% of them(besides the 72 Dolphins) will admit the game is more Dynamic than it was back then. Also I agree with the earlier post that Deion went up against better competition as his era had many Hall of fame QB's. I'm not trying to be an Ass but there are such silly bold statements made like the one above and I have to state my views. If you are on the defensive then I am sorry. Also you said "modesty will get me furthur", furthur where, will I get a deduction on my tax return, please explain!

I'm not sure how to address this verbal masturbation, but I appreciate you allowing me to think what I want. Since you draw first blood with "jackass", I'll joust. Apparently, Google doesn't search on your PC. If it had, you'd find that Blount didn't allow a single TD in an entire season. Try a yahoo and see if Deion ever had the same success. Let me know what you find. You're either too stupid or young to formulate your own opinion, so I'm not expecting much of a response from you. You also seem to lack respect for not only other opinions but also former football greats. BTW, does the fact I didn't witness Blount play every Sunday remove the fact that he didn't allow a single touchdown? You're right, it doesn't. See logic can prevail. You also seem to be a natural at being an ass regardless whether you're trying. Lastly, you haven't demonstrated enough intellect or football knowledge to put me on the defensive, but, if you wish, I can continue kicking your uninformed ass.

Also, what part of my posts are recycled?

Don't call me a jackass again.

Archived