Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants are realistic about their chances...

doncherry

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/giants_we_almost_beat_the_patriots?utm_source=slate_rss_1

NEW YORK—As they come closer to their Super Bowl clash with the formidable Patriots—the team they nearly defeated in late December—the Giants are confident that they can come close to beating the undefeated AFC champions on football's biggest stage.

"This team has already tasted victory against the Patriots," head coach Tom Coughlin said Monday. "By which I mean we were so close to victory that we could taste it. True, we did not actually experience that victory, but we came as close to beating them as anyone else has this season. That's the kind of team we believe we are, and I think the Super Bowl will prove that."

Couglin and his assistant coaches have been painstakingly breaking down game films from their Week 17 meeting with New England, analyzing every vital, near-victorious second for anything that might help them come that tantalizingly close to winning for the second time in as many months. They acknowledge that the Patriots are very good indeed, but the Giants believe they can draw on the experience of that near-victory, the confidence they discovered in barely losing to undefeated New England, and the lessons learned in forcing Bill Belichick's juggernaut to come from 12 points behind and beat them in the final minutes.

"This team really believes they can come close to winning the Super Bowl—very, very close," Giants quarterback Eli Manning said Tuesday after spending the morning watching film of his Dec. 29 home loss, film that laid bare the crucial interception he threw to Pats corner Ellis Hobbs. "We can come so close to beating them, so very, heartbreakingly close, that every player here will take it to their graves."

"This will be one to tell my kids about, that's for sure," Michael Strahan said. "If we can pull it off and almost beat these guys, they'll be showing those highlights until the end of time. When I die and come before those Pearly Gates, St. Peter himself will look down at me and say 'So, Michael, what was it like to be an eyelash away from winning that Super Bowl against those Patriots?' And Heaven itself will hold its breath while I tell them how we almost did it."

Meanwhile, in Foxborough, the Patriots are being careful not to give the Giants any bulletin-board material.

"Yeah, they good, they good," wideout Randy Moss said when told of the Giants attitude. "They got a good team. I guess we can't get too upset if they think they can nearly pull it off. Plus, hey, you got to admit, it ain't bragging if it's true. And they did nearly almost come close to practically beating us, come to think of it."

"Didn't, though," Moss added. "18 and oh, baby!"

Still, the Giants refuse to be completely intimidated.

"We stood up to them once, hit 'em in the mouth, and made them beat us," Coughlin said, noting that in the previous meeting, the Giants defense put the Patriots in the challenging position of having to score three times over the last 20 minutes of the game, which the Patriots naturally did with time to spare and without apparent effort. "And mark my words, that's what we're going to do in the Super Bowl—meet their strengths with ours, play as hard and as fast as we can, and force them to eventually beat us."

"Oh, crap," Coughlin added. "Crap. We're going to lose the Super Bowl."

Win or lose the New York Giants are still Champions

By Brandon Buchanan | January 24th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

We all know the New York Giants have defied all odds, and are headed to the biggest game on the year. We also know that they have become a team while battling a fractured locker room, an embattled head coach, and a “skitzy” franchise quarterback. With all the turmoil this team has been through, and all the adversity they have overcome, you should also know one thing: Win or lose on February 3rd, this team will still be a champion.

Obviously, they will always be the 2007 NFC Champions, but beyond that this team has exemplified characteristics of a champion throughout the better part of the season, without any recognition, and have achieved “elite” status within a matter of three weeks. Who else has done that? Who else has reeled off 10 straight road wins? Who else has had the confidence exuded by the Men of the Meadowlands? There answer is no one. Not one team has come close to accomplishing what the Giants have done this season, and not one team has exceeded expectations as have the G-Men. How can this be explained? One definition of a champion is a person who fights for or defends any person or cause, and that is exactly what the Giants have done this season. They have fought for their coach, their locker room, their quarterback, and most importantly, themselves. Many members of the online media counted the Giants out before the season started, and you know they wish they had the foresight to see the great things this team had to offer. Unfortunately, many were unable to see the championship qualities of this team.

Let’s take a look at some 2007 Season Previews written by “experts’ of the NFL.

James Alder

About.com

Record: 5-11 and Fourth in the NFC East

“I believe the Giants defense is going to have its struggles again this year, and Eli, once again, will remind no one of older brother Peyton, especially in the leadership department. Look for last year’s late-season struggles to continue into this season and for the Giants to slip even further in the standings.”

FootballLOCKS.com

“Everyone knows the story. The New York Giants lost Tiki Barber to retirement, and the tandem of Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns will attempt to replace his production. Meanwhile Luke Petitgout and LaVar Arrington were let go. The Giants need Umenyiora and Strahan to stay healthy, otherwise the offenses of the Eagles and Cowboys will be tough to stop in 2007. A look at the Giants 2007 schedule reveals a fair share of winnable games thanks to lining up against the NFC North. However, there are more than enough tough opponents as well. Overall we’re predicting a (9-7) finish, as we expect improved play from Manning, now possessing a few of years of NFL play under his belt.”

Jeffri Chadiha

Espn.com/Scouts.INC

Division Finish: 4th Place

“You knew this was going to be an interesting year for the New York Giants as soon as defensive end Michael Strahan didn’t show for training camp. The Giants already were dealing with replacing one star player, running back Tiki Barber. Now Strahan has spent the past month contemplating whether he should end his 15-year career. It’s simply hard to imagine this team making the playoffs for a third consecutive season. Plenty is riding on the progress of QB Eli Manning, who has been far too inconsistent throughout his four-year career. The defense also is a mystery, as the unit features two new outside linebackers, including converted defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka, and a mediocre secondary. If the smash-mouth backfield combination of Brandon Jacobs and Reuben Droughns can’t help the Giants control the clock, it will be hard for this team to win consistently. If all that isn’t enough, there still is the question of how much longer coach Tom Coughlin will be with the team. Rumors of his impending dismissal dogged him last season, as the Giants finished 8-8 and lost in the first round of the playoffs. This year, those same whispers will follow him from the very first week. This is a team with a major leadership void, which could make for a long, frustrating season.”

David Syvertsen, Columnist

Screaming Sports

Season Record: 7-9

“I know many of you want to approach this season with a sense of optimism that will allow you to talk to your peers about the G-Men playing in Arizona come February. But this team is in a transition year, not a rebuilding year, but a transition year. Jerry Reese came in with a plan and stuck to his word; get this team younger, faster, and healthier. Look no further than the roster cuts and additions to realize that Reese has a vision for the Giants. This team was not capable of going under a quick, one year fix that would put us in the running for a Super Bowl.”

As you all know, there were many writers who were not on the bandwagon from day one, but certainly found a seat now that the Giants have turned the corner and clinched a Super Bowl berth. This team fought like champions to conquer the issues of void of leadership, lack of a quality left tackle, youth and inexperience, and an unproven running attack. When you are passionate about a team, you must stay absolute in your resolve, and always dream the impossible. The Giants are passionate, and have dreamed their way to Gelndale. Now, they simply need to bring home the trophy.

Experts, sorry, but you all got this wrong this year. A losing record? Try, getting to the Super Bowl. Who would have guessed? Champions made this dream happen. The Giants are and will forever be champions.

For all of the accolades going towards the Giants for their resiliency (only the second wildcard team to win 3 road games in the playoffs), don't forget about the Patriots and the resiliency they have shown all year.

If there ever was a team that could pull off the upset, it would be the Giants. They do present some matchup problems. But, at the end of the day, I don't think the Giants secondary is going to be able to keep the big plays from happening.

Pats 38

Giants 17

I honestly dont believe the Giants have it in them to win this game. They beat a Cowpuke team that they see 2 times a year every year, a Packers team that never really showed up and are now expected to hang with the Pats?

The Pats have beaten every team theyve faced, and because of being undefeated all teams have shown up ready to battle and bringing their A game.

Pats 35

Gnats 17

Win or lose, still champions?

Better pray they win, because we all know how well the Super Bowl loser does the following season.

A loss would be devastating because this is the closest they'll get with Eli at QB. Too bad it's the same season the Pats will be perfect.

Pfft...champions of the NFC, maybe. Compared to the AFC, that's about as good as being champion of a pee-wee league conference. I love how the article makes it sound as if the Giants overcame ridiculous amounts of adversity and hardship to get their 13-6 record. Seriously, it's over. Crap, they are going to lose the super bowl.

And we all know how well super bowl losers do the following season. :)

For all of the accolades going towards the Giants for their resiliency (only the second wildcard team to win 3 road games in the playoffs), don't forget about the Patriots and the resiliency they have shown all year.
I have to give it to the Giants resiliency this season damn it.

Where have the Pat's shown more resiliency than many of the other teams? They were rightfully crowned AFCE Champs before the season began, they had no major injury concerns(yes I know they lost a backup player early), they had the best off season of any team in the NFL in personnel additions, have much of their core still intact from prior SB seasons and they were busted for cheating.

Pfft...champions of the NFC, maybe. Compared to the AFC, that's about as good as being champion of a pee-wee league conference. I love how the article makes it sound as if the Giants overcame ridiculous amounts of adversity and hardship to get their 13-6 record. Seriously, it's over. Crap, they are going to lose the super bowl.

And we all know how well super bowl losers do the following season. :)

Win or lose, still champions?

Better pray they win, because we all know how well the Super Bowl loser does the following season.

A loss would be devastating because this is the closest they'll get with Eli at QB. Too bad it's the same season the Pats will be perfect.

Whatever helps you both sleep better at night. :)

Whatever helps you both sleep better at night. :)

I'm sleeping fine knowing the Patriots will win going away.

What irks me is that the NFC is so bad that a team like the Giants can represent the conference. Man the NFC is bad. Dallas, Green Bay, Washington included.

We all stink. Dallas put up 76 points in 2 regular season games against the 2007 NFC Champions. What a mess.

I'm sleeping fine knowing the Patriots will win going away.

What irks me is that the NFC is so bad that a team like the Giants can represent the conference. Man the NFC is bad. Dallas, Green Bay, Washington included.

We all stink. Dallas put up 76 points in 2 regular season games against the 2007 NFC Champions. What a mess.

Oh well, boo-hoo.

The #1 seed 13-3 Dallas Cowboys and the #2 seed 13-3 Green Bay Packers had a full 2 weeks to prepare for a Giants team who was still at war with the NFC South division winning Buccaneers. A full 2 weeks to prepare for a 60 minute game against and I quote an "inferior Giants team"

Fact of the matter is, after all the hooting and hollering from the Craytons of the world, when it came down to crunch time the Giants went in to their house and spanked that a**!

This was no accident. The Giants were the better team, now get over it.

Oh well, boo-hoo.

The #1 seed 13-3 Dallas Cowboys and the #2 seed 13-3 Green Bay Packers had a full 2 weeks to prepare for a Giants team who was still at war with the NFC South division winning Buccaneers. A full 2 weeks to prepare for a 60 minute game against and I quote an "inferior Giants team"

Fact of the matter is, after all the hooting and hollering from the Craytons of the world, when it came down to crunch time the Giants went in to their house and spanked that a**!

This was no accident. The Giants were the better team, now get over it.

Wow! They beat that unstoppable 9-7 Tampa Bay team? How impressive!

Fact of the matter is the Giants needed a perfect mistake-free game vs. Dallas and a mistake filled game by Dallas to eek out a 4 point win where they still had a chances to win in the end.

They were better that day, sure. But Dallas stunk the last month of the season and no one was surprised they lost that game except Giant fans.

The same Giants' fans that wanted Eli cut, Coughlin fired, etc. after so many disappointing games this season.

The fact remains that the NFC is just plain bad. Everyone knows it. You're just as surprised as the rest of the NFL that Eli has been able to not mess up for 3 straight weeks.

But reality will set in and the Giants will be brought back to earth next week.

Thank goodness.

Wow! They beat that unstoppable 9-7 Tampa Bay team? How impressive!

Fact of the matter is the Giants needed a perfect mistake-free game vs. Dallas and a mistake filled game by Dallas to eek out a 4 point win where they still had a chances to win in the end.

They were better that day, sure. But Dallas stunk the last month of the season and no one was surprised they lost that game except Giant fans.

The same Giants' fans that wanted Eli cut, Coughlin fired, etc. after so many disappointing games this season.

The fact remains that the NFC is just plain bad. Everyone knows it. You're just as surprised as the rest of the NFL that Eli has been able to not mess up for 3 straight weeks.

But reality will set in and the Giants will be brought back to earth next week.

Thank goodness.

Negative, Nancy.

I'm one of the real Giant fans that knew this Giants team had the talent to win a Championship. Unlike your lucky and lovable losers, this Giant team has been graced with bad luck and the unfortunate reality of the ball not bouncing their way the last few years. All while they were picked to go 6-10 I laughed at the ignorance duringthe pre-season. Anyone who knows the x's and o's of football couldn't have possibly ruled this team out.

I've heard all year, how so so talented and unstoppable this 2007 Cowboy's team was, yada, yada, yada. How no one can stop them and their ticket to face the Patriots in the SuperBowl was already printed and layed in the top shelf of everyone's locker.....oops!!

***Screech***

Stop the record.

The New Yawk mo'fn Giants just showed up. And ain't a damn thing T.O., Roy Williams, Spears, Ware, Newman, can do about it. Oh by the way, see ya Favre and your platoon of the NFL's best unstoppable receivers:applause:

HeHateMe....tsk tsk tsk....Now you are forced to hold your breath for 2 weeks with the hope's that the other team (who also beat you), can do what your team couldn't do in the biggest game of the year. :laugh:

Negative, Nancy.

I'm one of the real Giant fans that knew this Giants team had the talent to win a Championship. Unlike your lucky and lovable losers, this Giant team has been graced with bad luck and the unfortunate reality of the ball not bouncing their way the last few years. All while they were picked to go 6-10 I laughed at the ignorance duringthe pre-season. Anyone who knows the x's and o's of football couldn't have possibly ruled this team out.

I've heard all year, how so so talented and unstoppable this 2007 Cowboy's team was, yada, yada, yada. How no one can stop them and their ticket to face the Patriots in the SuperBowl was already printed and layed in the top shelf of everyone's locker.....oops!!

***Screech***

Stop the record.

The New Yawk mo'fn Giants just showed up. And ain't a damn thing T.O., Roy Williams, Spears, Ware, Newman, can do about it. Oh by the way, see ya Favre and your platoon of the NFL's best unstoppable receivers:applause:

HeHateMe....tsk tsk tsk....Now you are forced to hold your breath for 2 weeks with the hope's that the other team (who also beat you), can do what your team couldn't do in the biggest game of the year. :laugh:

I live in NY and not one fan stayed loyal to this team all season.

Period.

I have no worries with the Super Bowl. You're the one sweating right now since you've talked so much.

But low and behold, you have an out when they do get stomped next Sunday. They werent supposed to win anyway, let alone be there.

Bottom line is that when the Giants lose, no one will care or remember this "magical" season theyve put together. Just like the 2000 Giants.

I live in NY and not one fan stayed loyal to this team all season.
Damn straight, they were all down on the team and especially Eli.

I spent week 12 at a local sports bar with some fellow ES'ers watching the Redskin/Tampa game. We live in a strong Giant fane base area so there were a bunch of Giant fans in attendance watching the Giant/Viking game. It was f-bomb city and they were all aimed at Eli or the coaching/ownership for keeping him in the game (or even on the team). There wasn't a Giant fan in the bar, the area or the country who had anything good to say about Eli that day.

This differs from other teams because if Romo sits to pee or Campbell throw a stinker the fan base still backs them. Eli was thrown under the bus, kind of like the way Philly fans have treated McNabb.

Archived