Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything to do in Harrisonburg, VA area?

Larry Brown #43

My wife and I are driving down to Harrisonburg today to see George Mason play JMU in basketball and we're wondering if there is anything to see or do in the area on a Saturday.

The game isn't 'til 8:00 tonight, so we figured we'd drive down beforehand and spend part of the day in the area.

Are there any quaint historic towns nearby that are nice to walk around in, with some good places to eat for example? I know Lexington is supposed to be pretty nice, but that's about an hour past Harrisonburg, and we don't feel like driving that far today.

I know Luray Caverns is nearby, but we basically just want to find a cool place to walk around, grab a bite, etc.

Thanks in advance and GO MASON. :)

If you were thinking of going to a cavern then Endless caverns is right outside of New Market right off Route 11 about 20 minutes north of Harrisonburg. Also the exit North of New Market is Shenandoah Caverns also abut 20 to 25 minutes north of Harrisonburg.

http://www.harrisonburgtourism.com/

http://www.shenandoahcaverns.com/

http://www.endlesscaverns.com/

Don't know of any restaurants in Harrisonburg (good local places) When I was running around there our idea of a good time was bar hopping

I post more when my memory jogs

Lived there for 2 years. Boring place I'm sorry to say. It's mostly scenery. If you like antique shopping, there's a few good places. Cafe Jako behind the mall has the best sushi I've had in a long time. Kyoto's sushi isn't very good so don't go there unless you want to get a steak or something. There's a really good Thai place sort of around where Kyoto is but I don't remember exactly how to get there. There's a Buffalo Wild Wings, a Panera, a Qdoba and a couple of the basic restaurants like Ruby Tuesdays and Applebees. Calhouns downtown is pretty good too (they changed the name to Cally's). Dave's Taverna is pretty good too. Honestly, the only thing I ever did there for fun was go out to eat or see a movie. The mall sucks.

Lets see, for food:

Dave's Taverna

Calhouns (also a microbrewery)

Taste of Thai

Calhoun's is very nice and in the heart of downtown (all 2 blocks of it, haha).

Taste of Thai isn't downtown, but it's really good and has a nice atmosphere inside. I go there everytime I visit JMU.

There are typical chain restaurants as well, but yeh.

To see, the caverns are there as mentioned. If you like play, take the 20 mile trip down to Staunton. Staunton has won awards for their downtown historic renovation. There are a ton of local restaurants there of all sorts of food. There is also the Blackfriars Theater, if you are interested in theater. It's basically trying to be a replica model of the Shakespeare Globe Theatre and they put on a very good play.

Their downtown is far more lively than Harrisonburg's is.

I guess if you are married, no. The best thing about JMU is the coeds.......lots and lots of coeds. :)

pretty much, a 32 year old person like yourself will probably not enjoy the party scene as much. That's pretty much all there is at JMU. Hot girls and great parties.

Yeh, I definitely loved going to Staunton, while it's not a big downtown, it's still worth checking out. Quaint little area and it's not far from the interstate at all (likee maybe 2 miles). There is free parking as well in a garage there.

If you havent been to Luray Caverns, you should really check them out. They are very large - and really beautiful. Last time I went a couple years ago, they also had a giant maze next to it, if you're up for a walk :) Definitely would be a great 'time killer' trip.

Taste of Thai isn't downtown, but it's really good and has a nice atmosphere inside. I go there everytime I visit JMU.

There is a better Thai restaurant there than this one, but again I can't remember exactly where it is. It's somewhat close to the King Photo if you can find that.

Staunton has won awards for their downtown historic renovation.

I highly recommend Staunton (prounounced Stanton), Baja Bean has excellent mexican. It's borderline tex mex and very delicious.

My wife and I are driving down to Harrisonburg today to see George Mason play JMU in basketball and we're wondering if there is anything to see or do in the area on a Saturday.

The game isn't 'til 8:00 tonight, so we figured we'd drive down beforehand and spend part of the day in the area.

Are there any quaint historic towns nearby that are nice to walk around in, with some good places to eat for example? I know Lexington is supposed to be pretty nice, but that's about an hour past Harrisonburg, and we don't feel like driving that far today.

I know Luray Caverns is nearby, but we basically just want to find a cool place to walk around, grab a bite, etc.

Thanks in advance and GO MASON. :)

When you mentioned "wife" in your first sentence, my ideas on things to do may not work. :D

Harrisonburg is a great place for a single or straying man. :doh:

Women in that town are very, very friendly.

JMU is essentially the Paris Hilton Academy.

That's the way I like it, ritzy and free. :cheers:

Unlike Paris Hilton the women are smart, but they are so horny. It reminds me of high school.

If you haven't been there yet I would advise you go. You wouldn't believe it. :cheers:

(In no order) Ashby, The Commons, South View, Sunchase, Foxhills, Forest Hills, Forest Hills Manor, etc.

One of my buddies told me Skyline Drive is nice. There isn't a ton to do, but it's a beautiful town. I love it here. :)

BTW..who supports the losing team? I'm actually considering going to the game.

(In no order) Ashby, The Commons, South View, Sunchase, Foxhills, Forest Hills, Forest Hills Manor, etc.

One of my buddies told me Skyline Drive is nice. There isn't a ton to do, but it's a beautiful town. I love it here. :)

BTW..who supports the losing team? I'm actually considering going to the game.

Ahhh come on man I haven't even been graduated a year yet and you are making me feel old as hell. Lived in the Commons for 3 years and had some times at JMU that only another JMU student would understand.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

:cheers:

Ahhh come on man I haven't even been graduated a year yet and you are making me feel old as hell. Lived in the Commons for 3 years and had some times at JMU that only another JMU student would understand.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

:cheers:

Oh I'm trying. It's so great here.

And yeah, I left in the 2nd period. Smith had 31 points at that point. Kid is ridiculous.

Archived