Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When was the last time this team was truly rebuilt?

BurgundyBooger

I'm not referring to minor cuts that had to be made to get under the cap but a complete personnel/player/philosophical overhaul? Does anyone recall:

1.) The exact year it happened?

2.) How many core players were cut?

3.) How much cap space the 'Skins saved?

4.) What the team record was the following year?

Thanks.

I would say it was rebuilt the wrong way the year after we make the playoffs in 1999 by bringing in overpaid, past their prime vets in Carrier, Sanders, Smith, and Jeff George.

It was the 99 season when Dannyboy bought the team and started the rebuilding process from the Norval area.

Since then, it's only been at most a half rebuild at any one point.

Two rebuildings. The Marty purge and the Gibbs purge.

How many players are left from the Spurrier Years. Four years out and there are very few. That's a rebuilding. Now, it was rebuilt used using parts (Free agents), but Gibbs redesigned the whole team over his first two years basically.

Two rebuildings. The Marty purge and the Gibbs purge.

How many players are left from the Spurrier Years. Four years out and there are very few. That's a rebuilding. Now, it was rebuilt used using parts (Free agents), but Gibbs redesigned the whole team over his first two years basically.

On offense, just Samuels and Jansen.

On Defense, Smoot is return player he may be the only one. No LB's from Spurrier, No DL from Spurrier, and no CB from Spurrier starting. Good point.

On offense, just Samuels and Jansen.

On Defense, Smoot is return player he may be the only one. No LB's from Spurrier, No DL from Spurrier, and no CB from Spurrier starting. Good point.

Thomas and Rock too on offense, but I really can't think of many others.

I'd say the first two years of Gibbs II traded Champ Bailey for Clinton Portis. Drafted two pro bowlers in Chris Cooley and Sean Taylor. Signed Shawn Springs, Griffin, Washington. We drafted Jason Campbell, Carlos Rogers, and we traded Coles for Moss. Plus we let go of players like Trung, Kenny Watson, Patrick Ramsey, Lavar, taylor jacobs the numerous other x-gators. If you look at how many players started for Spurrier his last year, few hung on until half way through Gibb II.

Norv's first year, during the 1994 offseason

Lots of older vets cut, and a lot of draft picks and young guys in the lineup

Nothing like that has happened here since then

Exactly...good post.

To add, in all honesty, we made progress under Norv too. He just couldn't get us over the hump.

We went from 3-13 to 6-10 to 9-7 in his first 3 years. Very impressive. He just plateaued at that point.

When Gibbs came out of retirement.

It was just rebuilt incorrectly.

With an old QB, Brunell, rather than a young one, 3-4 wasted years.

From the secondary forward, instead of DL backward, 3 1st round DB picks, no 1st day DL picks.

On O, through the glamorous positions, WR, TE, RB, rather than trenches. We have the GNP of a small country spent on Portis, Betts, Moss, ARE, Lloyd, but have devoted no 1st day picks to OL, and have no young OL either signed or being developed, excepting Heyer, and an unproven SF OT.

Watch what Parcells does in Miami.

If they don't take a franchise QB, they'll trade down repeatedly from #1 spot, in a draft several rounds deep, and take multiple DL/OL players. Within 2 years, the DL and OL of Miami will be stocked with young talent, just like Dallas, Green Bay, etc. They'll choose the glamour positions selectively, and build from the trenches.

We'll keep signig corners and DBs, and have no pass rush, they'll get to the QB and win with average DBs. We'll go with our Jurassic OL, they'll have above average receivers, and mid-round pick RBs that flourish because their OL opens holes, and gives the QB time.

While we start all 30+ OL and gripe about injury bug when 1-2 OL go down again next year, they'll start 23-27 year olds across the board, maybe selecting one old veteran starter and one back-up.

A better question is when the next time this team will be rebuilt. While Snyder is owner, I'm not holding my breath.

Exactly...good post.

To add, in all honesty, we made progress under Norv too. He just couldn't get us over the hump.

We went from 3-13 to 6-10 to 9-7 in his first 3 years. Very impressive. He just plateaued at that point.

Plateaued, or had the mountain cut out from under him by the owner?

When Gibbs came out of retirement.

It was just rebuilt incorrectly.

With an old QB, Brunell, rather than a young one, 3-4 wasted years.

From the secondary forward, instead of DL backward, 3 1st round DB picks, no 1st day DL picks.

On O, through the glamorous positions, WR, TE, RB, rather than trenches. We have the GNP of a small country spent on Portis, Betts, Moss, ARE, Lloyd, but have devoted no 1st day picks to OL, and have no young OL either signed or being developed, excepting Heyer, and an unproven SF OT.

I would have to agree with you on most of this, but I do think we're still within the Gibbs rebuilding process simply because (I hope) we understand now that it starts with the draft. Once we realize who our franchise players are, I'm not even sure myself at this point then we'll be able to say that we have a winning SYSTEM in place.

Marty restructured the team. He jettisoned many of the expensive over the hill veterans that Danny has foolishly acquired. He was left with few players with talent but all of his draft picks and huge cap room. After going 8:8 and a good winning streak Danny canned him.

Watch what Parcells does in Miami.

If they don't take a franchise QB, they'll trade down repeatedly from #1 spot, in a draft several rounds deep, and take multiple DL/OL players. Within 2 years, the DL and OL of Miami will be stocked with young talent, just like Dallas, Green Bay, etc. They'll choose the glamour positions selectively, and build from the trenches.

We'll keep signig corners and DBs, and have no pass rush, they'll get to the QB and win with average DBs. We'll go with our Jurassic OL, they'll have above average receivers, and mid-round pick RBs that flourish because their OL opens holes, and gives the QB time.

While we start all 30+ OL and gripe about injury bug when 1-2 OL go down again next year, they'll start 23-27 year olds across the board, maybe selecting one old veteran starter and one back-up.

A better question is when the next time this team will be rebuilt. While Snyder is owner, I'm not holding my breath.

It makes me want to cry.

Archived