Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else hope we dont resign Suisham?

ItaliaMuscle

Really...you want to replace Suisham? You'd rather have Crosby or Vinatieri.

Got news for you. Suisham was 29 of 35 this year, 83%. That's 5 out of every 6 field goals made. What more do you want out of the guy? His 29 made field goals were tied for 6th most in the NFL, and only one person ahead of him had fewer attempts.

Crosby was 31 of 39, only 79.5%

Vinatieri was 23 of 29, only 79.3%

Suisham had a better season than either of them, percentages wise. Sure he didn't have as many field goals or extra points as Crosby, but that's a function of our offense and his lack of opportunities, not him. He made more out of his opportunities than Crosby did.

Suisham is fine; folks need to stop worrying about him and concentrate on our real problems. He's the best kicker we've had here in a long time.

:applause: :cheers:

In that Seattle game, Suisham's missed kicked seemed to change the momentum of the game. It was very disappointing.

On the other hand, that is how things go in NFL.

You cannot fire a player each time the player makes a mistake. I don't see people calling for Campbell's head just because he threw an interception in the Dallas game ...

Yuore right, but i dont have confidence in him when he goes out there to make a kick

Meh, I have more confidence in him than I did Novak or Hall...lets give him another year, see how he does.

Let him plateau before we say we need another kicker...if only we had used that logic with David Akers.

If we had 32 first round picks, yeah, I'd probably suggest we draft a kicker. But we don't.

In the draft you look for personnel with things you can't teach like speed, size and youth. And theoretically, if you got the brain God gave a goose, you draft someone you need. If your analysis says that Suisham is terrible, then add him to the list of positions we need to fill. Hopefully, you've already crossed off QB, RB and TE. Maybe even WR. That leaves centers, guards, offensive tackles, defensive tackles, defensive ends, cornerbacks, safeties, linebackers and punters. With your analysis, we add in a kicker.

Now, we have 6 draft picks in the first 7 rounds. #'s 21, 53, 85, 149, 181 and 213 assuming none of them slide because of compensatory picks (maybe we even get one for Dockery!). Now as I've said ad nauseum, I hope to high heaven they draft a couple of offensive linemen, because you can't teach youth, speed, or size. We lost 3 games last year because we couldn't score from inside the 5. I know Thomas and Jansen will be back, but veteran lineman over 5 years seldom make it a full season.

But you want to draft a kicker. Historically, anyone we draft past the 3rd round is gone by the end of camp, Golston and Montgomery being notable exceptions. Where do you want us to spend that draft pick? Is there a game-changijng kicker out there that would justify giving up #21 or #53? If so, who?

Me, I'd keep him. We have seen much worse. At least he can make it from 45 yards out. He missed some, true. But at this point I think youth is good in this position and I wouldn't waste a pick on a kicker.

I just read an article displaying all of our free agents for the off season and there was his name. I forgot about him till now... and I really don't like this guy as our kicker. When he goes to kick I have little to no confidence in him. He looks timid and you can tell that his nerves really get to him. I really wish we had a Longwell or Vinatieri. Our guy doesn't cut it for me. And yes I also blame a good portion of the Wildcard lose on him... my cousin in HS can nail those distances... argh.

I wouldn't say he had a solid full season with us either....

Shaun Suisham, K

Suisham was solid in his first full season as an NFL kicker. He kicked two game-winners, both in overtime. But in the Redskins' Wild Card playoff game at Seattle, he missed a critical 30-yarder. For the season, Suisham was 29-of-35 on field goal

i say re-sign him, he did a very good job this season, certainly didn't cost us the wild card game, it was one of several plays that contributed to the loss;

you perhaps have unrealistic expectations, there is no such thing as a 100% kicker...& he's hit several gamewinners.

Suisham is the least worry so keep him. More to the point is who is going to be evaluating talent for the next version of the Washington Redskins? Washington's horses suffered many injuries and worse which to me kept the Skins away from a deep playoff run.

Washington needs skilled durable football players so my question is who is going to get them here?

Suisam needs a time to be a good kicker as all other kickers. Blame him for our wildcard loos or not, but check out other kickers who missed field goals in a crunch time. And what about his couple wining field goals? Give a guy a break. We finally have a young kicker who can grow in a very good if not great kicker. I'd say resign him. He will get more experience and will get better.

There is no reason not to resign this guy. So he missed a 30 yard FG. The Offense moved the ball 2 yards on three plays right before that. Maybe fire dump the entire offense while we are at it. He was a 80+% FG Kicker this year and that is top5-10 material. Now, if I have any problem with him it would be his inconsistent kickoffs. There, if you said his problem is kickoffs, you may have a point. I too would like to see more consistent kickoffs from him but I would still keep him here.

And for those who think Vinatieri is all that much better kicking field goals. He didn't hit ONE over 40 yards all season long.

Beyond 30 yards Crosby was 22 of 30 - Beyond 40 was 12 of 19

Beyond 30 yards Suisham was 19 of 25 - Beyond 40 was 11 of 15

yeah he lost us the game because the score would have been 35-17. suisham has kicked better than any other kicker lately. we could develop him a little more or we could kick him to the curb and waste a bunch of money and draft picks for vinateri or draft and take a chance with a college kicker that could be a bust when we have bigger needs on the team.

Suisham was money in the windy NY game and we wouldn't have won the NY Jets game without him. It's not his fault we lost to Seattle, we got beat by 21, not 3.

My thoughts exatly. Wasn't that field goal in NY a 50 yarder? He hit a LONG field goal not only in the wind but it was COLD. Like kicking a rock 50 yards. I was sold on him in that game. He's a keeper.

Suishi might not be a long yarder kicker like say from 57 feet but he hasn't missed many. I am not even going to blame that kick in the playoffs on him. The O should have never put him in that situation. Now that he has missed that kick he is now that much better in future playoff games.

He has been pretty good - God that kick in the Giants game that was totaly sick! - not bad for a 1st year start!!!!

I just read an article displaying all of our free agents for the off season and there was his name. I forgot about him till now... and I really don't like this guy as our kicker. When he goes to kick I have little to no confidence in him. He looks timid and you can tell that his nerves really get to him. I really wish we had a Longwell or Vinatieri. Our guy doesn't cut it for me. And yes I also blame a good portion of the Wildcard lose on him... my cousin in HS can nail those distances... argh.

I wouldn't say he had a solid full season with us either....

Shaun Suisham, K

Suisham was solid in his first full season as an NFL kicker. He kicked two game-winners, both in overtime. But in the Redskins' Wild Card playoff game at Seattle, he missed a critical 30-yarder. For the season, Suisham was 29-of-35 on field goal

I'm sure you didn't like David Akers either. We ran him out of town and sure have missed his services ever since (1998)... :rolleyes:

Archived