Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone else hope we dont resign Suisham?

ItaliaMuscle

I just read an article displaying all of our free agents for the off season and there was his name. I forgot about him till now... and I really don't like this guy as our kicker. When he goes to kick I have little to no confidence in him. He looks timid and you can tell that his nerves really get to him. I really wish we had a Longwell or Vinatieri. Our guy doesn't cut it for me. And yes I also blame a good portion of the Wildcard lose on him... my cousin in HS can nail those distances... argh.

I wouldn't say he had a solid full season with us either....

Shaun Suisham, K

Suisham was solid in his first full season as an NFL kicker. He kicked two game-winners, both in overtime. But in the Redskins' Wild Card playoff game at Seattle, he missed a critical 30-yarder. For the season, Suisham was 29-of-35 on field goal

My hand is raised. Why not draft a kicker. Last year what's his name (crosby?) from Colorado didn't go 'til late.

Hmm, this is an option, but I think we should keep Suisham around for a little while before we draft a kicker.

Kickers in the draft are a crapshoot though, you never really know what you'll get, but you could luck out with a Mason Crosby or Nick Folk.

I say keep him. If I'm not mistaken he's from Canada...if he lived there and learned to kick the ball there, I'm sure bad weather don't bother him. He did kick some clutch FGs...why you want him gone...the miss last Saturday? He didn't lose the game...Seattle drove the field and scored...score would've been 21-17 btw.

Crosby was a sixth round pick?

Jesus. That's the kind of thing that makes you go "huh?" because there are certain needs for our team and it seems like we kind of ignore the 'easy' late picks sometimes. I mean, seriously, anyone think Dallas Sartz was off-the-chain?

Its been a while ive been as set on a kicker as I am on Suisham.

First, lets remember Suisham is very young. Last year was his first full season kicking. They dont call it experience for nothing. Second, he was 29-35 last year. When was the last time we had a kicker that reliable who ALSO wasnt injured all the time? He hit 83% of his field goals(better than 4 out of 5), and that includes the one he missed against Seattle, and the one bad game he had where he missed a couple. You always take out someones best and worst games to get a real feel for how good they are, because every person and every team has a bad game.

As for crucifying him because he missed a 30 yarder, in a key game earlier in the season versus the Chargers, Vinateri missed a game winning 29 yarder wide. Do you have any problems with him?

Lets consider the last 7 years of Redskins kickers... Only once before Suisham did we have a year with 80+% FG(at 81%). Our average? In the low 70% range. Lets face it, hes our best kicker this millenium.

Vinatieri and Longwell both started somewhere.

So did David Akers (here). :mad:

I'm more concerned his kickoff distances seemed to drop off over the season. I'm wondering if Danny Smith does something to wear down kickers (see: Hall, John--ohhh, my aching dual quadriceps injuries).

Don't discard the kicker until a better replacement is found. I know I'm not the only one who remembers "The Case of the White Van loaded with [sucko] Kickers" episode that played out at Redskin Park... I'm not looking for a sequel to that, thanks.

My hand is raised. Why not draft a kicker. Last year what's his name (crosby?) from Colorado didn't go 'til late.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Suisham had a better year. Everybody brings up Crosby for some reason...because they show him on highlights occasionally idk?

Archived