Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is everyone hung on Cowher?

skinsfan4l1fe

He won one super bowl in 15 seasons. He has won a lot of games but in the AFC Central/North. He played the sorry Bengals, Browns, and Houston twice a year. Cowher's legacy is in Pittsburgh not in DC. I could not have imagined Gibbs coaching somewhere other than Washington? I can't go thru the season of the media saying “Redskins have the losing Cowher 2.0 not the winning one." Bettis every Sunday on CBS telling the world how this is not the same coach he played for Snyder must be holding him back. We should continue with what we have or blow it up and get a new young HUNGRY coach. One that wants to be in Washington because he loves it and they gave him his first chance not some recycled coach that will only come here if we pay him $10 million and give him full control and let him do it his way. That’s to much for an outsider to have and that’s what Cowher would be a Steelers coaching the skins.

He won one super bowl in 15 seasons. He has won a lot of games but in the AFC Central/North. He played the sorry Bengals, Browns, and Houston twice a year. Cowher's legacy is in Pittsburgh not in DC. I could not have imagined Gibbs coaching somewhere other than Washington? I can't go thru the season of the media saying “Redskins have the losing Cowher 2.0 not the winning one." Bettis every Sunday on CBS telling the world how this is not the same coach he played for Snyder must be holding him back. We should continue with what we have or blow it up and get a new young HUNGRY coach. One that wants to be in Washington because he loves it and they gave him his first chance not some recycled coach that will only come here if we pay him $10 million and give him full control and let him do it his way. That’s to much for an outsider to have and that’s what Cowher would be a Steelers coaching the skins.

what did we do in those 15 season? hes had a crappy team and was consistent. when he finally got a good team, he got the job done

Darn you are negative. We COULD be saying the same things about GW 2.0 in a year or two also...

Cowher is a good coach, that could be spectacular if he had a good organization that is willing to spend behind him. Take it or leave it.

I don't doubt Cowher is a good coach but I agree with those who say he would necessarily be the panacea for the problems the team has.

Will the defense play any better with him at the helm than any other candidate?

Offense?

Special teams?

Will players play harder under him than Gibbs? Was effort ever a concern (even if execution clearly was)?

what makes you think GW is more fit?

He's been under Gibbs (maybe Gibbs' good qualities brushed off on him), he knows the players and the players know him, he has a system in place, he knows the staff and the staff knows him, continuity, he deserves a shot with the Skins, Saunders will most likely get full control of the offense, so no more vanilla redzone, Saunders will most likely bring his own staff in, and in my opinion, we will become a defense based team with a capable and proven Saunders offense.

He's been under Gibbs (maybe Gibbs' good qualities brushed off on him), he knows the players and the players know him, he has a system in place, he knows the staff and the staff knows him, continuity, he deserves a shot with the Skins, Saunders will most likely get full control of the offense, so no more vanilla redzone, Saunders will most likely bring his own staff in, and in my opinion, we will become a defense based team with a capable and proven Saunders offense.

from what Ive read alot of players don't like him.

He was learning from Gibbs II which isn't saying much. This is a different NFL that Joe wasn't really familiar with. He has had a chance at being HC and didn't do anything with it. I'm pretty sure Belichick has more wins this season than GW has had

There are three types of coaches available for hire: (1) HC coaches recently fired, (2) coordinators that you really know nothing about and (3) coaches who left on their own terms. Cowher is about the only successful coach in group (3), so everyone thinks he can be their savior.

(4) College Coaches.

I have little doubt that Cowher would be a winner in D.C., however it would take him a few years to get the personel that he would need to play his type of football.

However, we're a good enough team that we can be good now. We need someone who'll keep moving us in the same direction that Gibbs, Williams, and Saunders have for the past 4 years(well, saunders only 2). Hiring from within is only logical, because it keeps the group together. Cowher should only be brought to a team that needs to be completely rebuilt from the ground up, or who already has the personel to run a 3-4 defense, and a big running back for all his old school offensive leanings.

I don't know that Williams is the best decision, he could easily be Norv Turner, unsuccessful with one team, unsuccessful with another team. Or he could be Bill Belicheck. But hindsight is the one that's 20-20 not foresight, and from where I'm sitting he seems like the logical choice.

I guess Dan Snyder has to feel like he's rocking the world every time he hires a coach though.

(4) College Coaches.

Good catch - I think that the failures of Cam Cameron, Bobby Petrino and Spurrier have soured the NFL on most college coaches. Maybe Pete Carroll has a shot, although he failed in the NFL before success in college.

I still think Cowher is the easy pick for Snyder. Maybe not the best pick though. Hard to criticize someone for hiring Cowher.

Archived