Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we could have them back...

Gart Monk

Who did we let go last off season that would have made a difference?

Obviously losing Dockery was crucial and that alone could have changed everything but I think TJ Duckett was our biggest loss.

There seems to be no plan in place for short yardage situations. Duckett behind Sellers would have been unstoppable.

Hindsight is an exact science!

Whatever happened to a lead block from Sellers with Portis behind him? It seems to work fine in goal-line situations, yet Gibbs doesn't see it working in short-yardage situations? I don't really understand this. Everyone in the league who watches tape on us knows what's coming: fullback draw from Sellers. We need to get creative.

Whatever happened to a lead block from Sellers with Portis behind him? It seems to work fine in goal-line situations, yet Gibbs doesn't see it working in short-yardage situations? I don't really understand this. Everyone in the league who watches tape on us knows what's coming: fullback draw from Sellers. We need to get creative.

No, we need an offensive line that can actually get a PUSH off the ball. Watch the games all year; the defensive line gets penetration on EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Especially Short Yardage situations. That's pathetic. The O line KNOWS when the snap is coming, therefore they have an advantage and should make first contact by firing off the football. Our line didn't do that. Injuries. Period. Creative? no.

Duckett? He was useless for us. Not to mention, we gave up too much for him to get him. Sellers was solid for us for a good amount of the year, and was a much better fit for us @ FB.

Losing Dockery was huge for us. But, we had a solid replacement in Kendall, so I'm not exactly sure how much of a downgrade it was for us by losing Dockery and signing Kendall to replace him. Having said that, because we lost Jansen and Randy Thomas, I think we still would've had significant OL problems, whether we had Dockery or not.

dude... Duckett ran like he weighed 150 lbs. I used to say "he goes down real easy for a big back."

I don't know if losing Dockery, especially for the money, was THAT bad. He played left guard. Kendall did alright. We were hurting in the right side of the line. Not to mention when they would over-load one side of the line or the other with the blitz.

Look, point is, Seattle and the Bill's defenses were hard for us this year... because of SPEED. I'm not sure how you counteract it... they both reminded me of those Dallas defenses from the 90's, they way they were active before the snap and their pursuit on the backside of the play. Also everytime the ball went somewhere there were like 3 or 4 defenders around it.

Last night I wasn't so enamored with the opposing team's offense as much as I was just impressed with their defense and punt return units.

Question: how do you counteract speed?

JB

No, we need an offensive line that can actually get a PUSH off the ball. Watch the games all year; the defensive line gets penetration on EVERY SINGLE PLAY. Especially Short Yardage situations. That's pathetic. The O line KNOWS when the snap is coming, therefore they have an advantage and should make first contact by firing off the football. Our line didn't do that. Injuries. Period. Creative? no.

I won't doubt that our O-line injuries may have ruined our season. Even in the four-game winning steak we had, Portis routinely had to make a move in the backfield to get into space. However, if the other team knows what's coming, even the best blocking isn't going to result in a successful play. We have run a fullback draw on short-yardage and goal-line situations almost 100% of the time. If I can call the play before it happens, you know defensive coordinators are going to be able to do that, too.

Archived