Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Boxing

ACW

i'm starting to think young Golden Boy Promotions fighters may be cursed. first James Kirkland signs with them, and goes to jail shortly after. then Victor Ortiz quits the day after DLH called him the best prospect in all of boxing. now Jorge Linares, who they just signed and is almost universally regarded as one the 5 best prospects in boxing, was knocked out in the first round last night. if one more of their young fighters goes down, i'm calling curse.

on another note, 2 of boxing's best prospects are fighting tonight in separate bouts on PPV tonight. Juan Manuel Lopez & Yuriokis Gamboa have fights, and if both win tonight, they will likely fight each other sometime next year. also on the card is talented young cuban HW Orlandier Solis. Solis dominated the under 200lb division as an amateur so naturally he weighs in a 271lbs :doh:

another talented HW prospect eating himself out of contention.

Edited by StillUnknown

just watched the Juan Manuel Lopez/Rogers Mtagwa fight: fight of the year in my opinion

juanma made that fight alot harder than it ever should've been for him though. i'm disappointed he chose to fight his opponents fight instead of taking control. the end result was one of the best fights of the year, but that fight took alot out of him and made him look worse technically than he has been in the past

I am so happy that card is on HBO and not PPV. I would probably buy it...but I don't have to. :thumbsup:
I might be GOING to the show :)

A ring announcer I know's trying to get a bus trip up there.

I'd LOVE to see a fight in AC, ESPECIALLY Williams-Pavlik :wavetowel

Looking forward the SM tourney. Kessler looks like the favorite.

Kessler may be the betting favorite, but this tournament is pretty wide open. that is what makes it so great in my opinion, the fact that you can make strong arguments for any of the six to win.

i still havent really broken down the fights yet, but i'm hoping one of the young Andre's win the tournament.

this weekend its:

2zqhg7m.gif

vs.

2vis1ae.jpg

Edited by StillUnknown

all four fighters made weight

my predictions for tomorrow's fights:

Carl Froch vs. Andre Dirrell: Froch is a fighter that has more heart and will than actual skill. he doesn't do anything great. he has good power, solid technique. his defense leaves him open to be hit, and he is probably the slowest fighter in this tourney. Froch's biggest asset is being able to wear his opponents down, he wont quit as exhibited in his fight with Jermain Taylor.

Dirrell is taking a considerable jump up in opposition. Dirrell has shown flashes of dominance in the past, problem is his offense tends to come in spurts as he has the tendency to not be aggressive in some fights. when he is aggressive, he is exciting to watch. personally, i think he has the fastest handspeed at 168 since roy jones jr. he is exceptional at switching from orthodox to southpaw without any wasted movements. he clearly has more boxing skills than Froch, whether or not he has the heart to last 12 in his opponents hometown in the question.

i see Dirrell's overall speed advantage being the key advantage here. Froch however can end the night if he catches Dirrell clean or breaks his will late in the fight. However if Dirrell uses his movement to stay away from Froch's power, he has a great chance at pulling the upset. i think he will use that speed and outwork Froch to a comfortable decision.

Dirrell by Unanimous Decision

Jermain Taylor vs. Arthur Abraham: everyone knows about Jermain's inability to finish strong in fights. the world is also aware of Abraham's one shot kill power he possesses in his hands. i was a bit surprised at how much taller Taylor is than Abraham. Jermain would be wise to work off the jab and stay busy all fight. Abraham has a habit of going into a defensive shell while waiting to land the kill shot, which could cause him to lose rounds on activity alone if Jermain is busy enough.

it is also worth mentioning this fight is in Germany, which is notorious for horrendous decisions for hometown fighters. Jermain might have to knock him out get the victory, i dont see him breaking through Abraham's defense enough to do that much damage. I see Jermain getting tight late in the fight and giving Abraham the space needed to launch a vicious counter shot that will end the fight

Abraham by TKO (rounds 8-10)

Edited by StillUnknown

all four fighters made weight

my predictions for tomorrow's fights:

Carl Froch vs. Andre Dirrell: Froch is a fighter that has more heart and will than actual skill. he doesn't do anything great. he has good power, solid technique. his defense leaves him open to be hit, and he is probably the slowest fighter in this tourney. Froch's biggest asset is being able to wear his opponents down, he wont quit as exhibited in his fight with Jermain Taylor.

Dirrell is taking a considerable jump up in opposition. Dirrell has shown flashes of dominance in the past, problem is his offense tends to come in spurts as he has the tendency to not be aggressive in some fights. when he is aggressive, he is exciting to watch. personally, i think he has the fastest handspeed at 168 since roy jones jr. he is exceptional at switching from orthodox to southpaw without any wasted movements. he clearly has more boxing skills than Froch, whether or not he has the heart to last 12 in his opponents hometown in the question.

i see Dirrell's overall speed advantage being the key advantage here. Froch however can end the night if he catches Dirrell clean or breaks his will late in the fight. However if Dirrell uses his movement to stay away from Froch's power, he has a great chance at pulling the upset. i think he will use that speed and outwork Froch to a comfortable decision.

Dirrell by Unanimous Decision

Jermain Taylor vs. Arthur Abraham: everyone knows about Jermain's inability to finish strong in fights. the world is also aware of Abraham's one shot kill power he possesses in his hands. i was a bit surprised at how much taller Taylor is than Abraham. Jermain would be wise to work off the jab and stay busy all fight. Abraham has a habit of going into a defensive shell while waiting to land the kill shot, which could cause him to lose rounds on activity alone if Jermain is busy enough.

it is also worth mentioning this fight is in Germany, which is notorious for horrendous decisions for hometown fighters. Jermain might have to knock him out get the victory, i dont see him breaking through Abraham's defense enough to do that much damage. I see Jermain getting tight late in the fight and giving Abraham the space needed to launch a vicious counter shot that will end the fight

Abraham by TKO (rounds 8-10)

great write up on the fights. I agree with your pick in the Dirrell fight and you nailed the Taylor fight!

Froch gets the majority decision over Direll. AD was on his bike all night. A disgraceful showing by him.

disgraceful? he made froch miss all night long. the dude took a huge leap up in competition and hung round for round with a world champ

i scored the fight 114-113 for dirrell. it was a close fight, really comes to down to the judges philosophy. some like defense, in which you would favor dirrell, some like aggressiveness, in which you score for Froch

no robberies, but i thought Dirrell won the fight

on another note, i'm actually starting to feel sorry for Jermain Taylor. the dude just cant get right lately. i'm actually a fan of his, why i'm not really sure, i hate that my prediction was right.

Edited by StillUnknown

I actually think it was a robbery, the reff was horrible how the hell you take away a Point from dirrell when froch was fouling all night. Body slamming hitting behind the head holding dirrell head while punching. Dirrell landed the harder punches rocked froch multiple times, showed great head movement making froch miss. Dirrell won the fight on clean effective more accurate punches