Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins @ Seahawks..serious thread

GIBBS LIVES

It's even simpler than offensive ranks, defensive ranks, matchups, the whole lot of it.

Even in today's pass-happy NFL, you win playoff games, especially in the elements by running the football and stopping the run. It's hard to argue that anyone in the league is doing that better than your Washington Redskins right now; especially the latter.

It's flat out stupid to underestimate the Seahawks. I have seen EVERY game of theirs, start to finish, and they are one of the (if not THE) best team we play this year.

1) they are a different team at home

2) Julian Peterson wasn't on the 05 team

3) Branch, Burleson and Ingram can all cause damage

4) finally implemented M. Morris into the gameplan

Seattle will not only adapt, but prefer to dink and dunk up and down the field for the entire game. They do not like to run the ball, but they know their strengths and they will play to them. Expect long drives and short completions.

On defense, Kerney, Peterson and Tapp are all studs as far as getting to the passer. Trufant can make a play on poorly thrown balls and Lofa has been a force at MLB.

This is one of the best teams in the NFC. They PREFER to run because of their talent at QB and WR. Do not mistake that for weakness. When they are on, they can beat anyone. The funny thing is how they depend on their crowd and momentum, so if we take that away, we could really set the tone.

this will be a really tough game. i see portis struggling to rush for 65-75 yards on that defense, but hopefully he adds another 50 yards receiving.

my biggest worry is hassleback. he is solid and patient and he will sit back there and pick you apart.

i think this game depends mostly on whether the todd collins magic continues.

(From what I'm reading) they really seem to fit our weaknesses.

Against passing teams, our defensive strategy seems to be to play deep, give big cushions, keep the receiver in front of you.

That limits the possibility of giving up big plays. But it basically gives up on stopping the short, possession passing game.

And that can work against impatient QBs who make mistakes.

But it sounds like that's the kind of game the Seahawks like.

Our D may be designed to force them to play to their strengths.

I am glad I found a serious thread talking X and O's.

Seattle Offense:

What they do well: Pass

Don't buy into the propaganda Seattle will run the football. They will try to spread the Skins out to give Alexander some space to run, but make no mistake Seattle is going to keep running at the Skins even if it's not working. Mike Holmgren is no fool and he knows he is not going to beat the Skins being one-demensional.

Hasselback does not have a big arm so Seattle's pass attack is more seam oriented and short to mid range oriented. Much like Collins Hasselback knows where everyone is on the field so gets rid of the ball quickly.

The Seattle wideouts are underated so Smoot, Springs, Torrence and the rest of the secondary need to be ready. Hasselback loves using the TE in the seam so Doughty and Dirty-30 better be ready.

The Key to beating Seattle is: Stopping the run

Seattle will be looking for the following domino effect:

Hasselback will likely start by throwing in an attempt to loosen up the defense. If he is successful and the Skins are forced to adjust to the pass they will unleash Alexander. If Alexander has success the Redskin safeties will be forced to creep up and now the big plays are possible.

The bottom line for the Redskins is keeping everything in front of them which means stopping the run. In order to combat Hasselback's effectiveness in the short to mid range passing game the Skins have to mix it up. They have to keep Hasselback guessing and not allow him to get into a rythm.

Dirty-30 and Doughty are gonna have to play disciplined but they also need to dish out lethal punishment when those little WRs make catches in front of them. Marcus Washington, London Fletcher and and Godfrey or Blades are gonna have to read and react quickly and not be fooled by a very crafty Hasselback.

The Defensive line needs to bring it when they have to and stay in their lanes because Hasselback will take off when he feels the need. They cannot allow Sean Alexander to get going because he will kill us if he does. Holmgren is no fool so this will not be a cake walk by any stretch. The Skins need to play smart and keep their heads on a swivel.

(From what I'm reading) they really seem to fit our weaknesses.

Against passing teams, our defensive strategy seems to be to play deep, give big cushions, keep the receiver in front of you.

That limits the possibility of giving up big plays. But it basically gives up on stopping the short, possession passing game.

And that can work against impatient QBs who make mistakes.

But it sounds like that's the kind of game the Seahawks like.

Our D may be designed to force them to play to their strengths.

I felt the same way before the Skins played Greenbay, I watched Greenbay the game before totally dissect their opponent through dink and dunk west coast style short passes.

However, Gregg Williams was ready for it. Seattle is though more balanced then Greenbay was at the time. I think the biggest advantage the Skins have is the fact that they are battle tested -- they've had a rough schedule.

Seattle has made their mark for the most part by beating up bad teams. Kind of like the Vikings did before the Skins played them.

The Skins best hope in my view is coming in there and really shaking Seattle up early by playing more physical than Seattle is used to -- and taking the crowd out of the game.

Having said that, if you look at Seattle's roster they have a ton of talent so they will be a formidable foe.

Seattle on Defense:

What they do well: Rush the Passer

If I were scouting for a way to beat the Redskins I would start with Todd Collins.

His Pluses:

1. He knows the system

2. He gets the ball out pretty quickly

3. He is not easily rattled with 13 years of experience

His minuses:

1. Collins is a statue requiring solid pass protection which mean less recievers in routes

2. Collins cannot make plays when things break down

3. Collins has not had a game yet where the pocket has collapsed up the middle.

The Redskin offensive tackles are gonna need to bring their "A" game on Saturday. The rookie Heyer will be matched against a sack machine in Patrick Kerney and he definitely will need help. The kid from UVA, Darryl Tapp is a pretty good player as well and Samuels will need to be on top of his game.

Seattle's defensive tackles are physical and excel at creating pressure up the middle which flushes QBs to the defensive ends. Mebane and Bernard will be a very big test for Fabini, Kendall and Rabach. If Collins cannot set his feet then he will make mistakes so the Redskins need to move collins around. Preferably away from Kerney.

The best defensive player in Seattle IMO is the MLB Lofa Tatupu. Tatupu reads passing plays like a ball hawking safety and comes up with big time interceptions. Tatupu can be overmatched in the running game though. Julian Peterson is another guy that the Skins O-line, RBs and TEs need to keep an eye on pre-snap. Peterson can end Collins day in one hit. No one wants to see Brunell trotting out.

Seattle's Secondary is pretty good. The safeties are talented anchored by Deon Grant. The corners are talented but they can be had.

The bottom line for the Skins is to run at the little defensive ends to negate their pass rush. East to west running is not advised as Seattle's defense is built for speed. The Skins will have more success pounding these guys into the dirt for 4 quarters. Clinton will be the man but this is a game where Betts can come up big both catching and pounding the rock. They also need to stay out of 3rd and longs because Seattle can bring the heat. If the Skins can score early and quiet that crowd then a nice balanced, ball control attack with no big mistakes will send them to Dallas the following week. Much easier said than done.

If I were the Redskins I would watch out for special teams trickery from Seattle because they know the Skins are flaming hot. The easiest way to cool down a hot team is with trick plays.

I felt the same way before the Skins played Greenbay, I watched Greenbay the game before totally dissect their opponent through dink and dunk west coast style short passes.

However, Gregg Williams was ready for it. Seattle is though more balanced then Greenbay was at the time. I think the biggest advantage the Skins have is the fact that they are battle tested -- they've had a rough schedule.

Seattle has made their mark for the most part by beating up bad teams. Kind of like the Vikings did before the Skins played them.

The Skins best hope in my view is coming in there and really shaking Seattle up early by playing more physical than Seattle is used to -- and taking the crowd out of the game.

Having said that, if you look at Seattle's roster they have a ton of talent so they will be a formidable foe.

If I were Seattle I would go after Doughty and Landry. They are both young and Hasselback can fool them with his eyes. In order to exploit them Seattle has to get them closer to the line of Scrimmage because dirty-30 is way back.

If Seattle can run the ball and cause the safeties to start creeping up then Hasselback has the skins right where he wants them. That is why the front seven have got to end any hope of Alexander running early.

Yes, against the Falcons #29 scoring defense, they scored 41 points.

And against the Falcons #29 scoring offense, they gave up 44.

(In the NFL, this is called a "loss".)

Week before that, they played Baltimore.

Against the NFL's #24 O and #22 D (in terms of scoring), Seattle won 27-6.

Week before that, Carolina: #26 O, #15 D. Seattle loses, 13-10.

Week before that, they played Arizona: #7 O, #27 D. Seattle wins 42-21.

-----

Next week: Washington. #18 O, #11 D.

Larry, I don't think that #18 ranking is even indictive of the way we've played the last few games with Collins in there. He's got the second best QB rating in the NFL over the month of December and we seem much more dynamic with him under center.

I find it interesting that you guys focus as much as you do on Alexander. Really, he has become a rotaional back. He and Morris will swap in and out, and Holmgren doesn't keep track of who's in when he makes his play calls. In 2005, he was a guy you had to account for -- in 2007, not so much. Hasselbeck is the key to the offense. If he has a good day, it's not going to matter what Alexander does or doesn't do.

I find it interesting that you guys focus as much as you do on Alexander. Really, he has become a rotaional back. He and Morris will swap in and out, and Holmgren doesn't keep track of who's in when he makes his play calls. In 2005, he was a guy you had to account for -- in 2007, not so much. Hasselbeck is the key to the offense. If he has a good day, it's not going to matter what Alexander does or doesn't do.

Holmgren won a superbowl running the football despite Brett Favre. Your Coach is a smart man and he knows he will need his clutch players in the playoffs. Alexander is not as interchangable as you think.

Yes Seattle throws a lot but Holmgren knows a 1-demensional team is one and done in the playoffs. Hasselback is simply not good enough to beat the Redskins by himself. I gurantee you will see more running on Saturday than you are accustomed to in Seattle.

Larry, I don't think that #18 ranking is even indictive of the way we've played the last few games with Collins in there. He's got the second best QB rating in the NFL over the month of December and we seem much more dynamic with him under center.

Agreed. The team that's played the last month isn't the team that needed overtime to beat the Fish and the Jests. The Skins have definitely been playing a lot more inspired the last month than Seattle has.

That can be good and bad. We could be sharper than they are. Tougher. More physical.

OTOH, I expect them to be more rested and healthy. They've been taking things easy for a month.

(Although I'd be more worried about them being rested, fresh, and in top competing form, if they'd pasted the Falcons last week.)

Holmgren won a superbowl running the football despite Brett Favre. Your Coach is a smart man and he knows he will need his clutch players in the playoffs. Alexander is not as interchangable as you think.

Yes Seattle throws a lot but Holmgren knows a 1-demensional team is one and done in the playoffs. Hasselback is simply not good enough to beat the Redskins by himself. I gurantee you will see more running on Saturday than you are accustomed to in Seattle.

Theoretically, I wouldn't argue with that. However, when you played us in 2005, you took Alexander out of the game early, and we ended up winning that one. Regardless of whether you'd say we became one dimensional then, or if you'd instead say we took up the slack in the running game with other backs, my point this year about Alexander remains the same. He can be a valuable contributor, but he's not the key to our offense. Not anywhere close.

OTOH, I think I can guarantee that Seattle will see less running success than they are accustomed to. Our secondary may be dinged, but we all know that we can stop their run.

Only way they run successfully is if their passing game forces us to go into "prevent" mode, and play the way we did against some other teams this year. Games where, for example, Fletch was lining up 10 yards deep, because he was helping out against passes over the middle.

Theoretically, I wouldn't argue with that. However, when you played us in 2005, you took Alexander out of the game early, and we ended up winning that one. Regardless of whether you'd say we became one dimensional then, or if you'd instead say we took up the slack in the running game with other backs, my point this year about Alexander remains the same. He can be a valuable contributor, but he's not the key to our offense. Not anywhere close.

When we played you guys in 2005 our QB was hurt and completely incapable of making plays. Mark Brunell had nothing that game and the defense got us to Seattle by single handedly beating the Bucs the previous week despite our horrid offense.

Collins has a 107 QB rating and is making plays (with no mistakes) in addition to the Skins defense dominating it's last 4 opponets and playing very well all year. If I were you I would not make comparisons to 2005 because this will be a completely different animal. To be honest that game in 2005 should not have been close given our offense. This time, in addition to a dominant defense, The Skins have an offense that is balanced, productive and attacking.

I guarantee you Holmgren knows this is a different team than the one he faced in 2005. On that same note Gibbs knows this Seattle team is different than the one in 2005.

Reading the posts on this forum has led to some interesting conclusions. But overall, most of us seem to agree that the Skins can and probably will beat the Seahwawks.

At least, this is what I think we're all saying here. Personally, I think certain other factors have to come into play. I do believe the Skins will win. I do believe it will be close.

The O line has to on top form. The D have to play as hard as they have playing. Hasselbeck is no mug and he HAS to be got at. Alexander can definitely be controlled, if our D overpowers the Seahawk O line. Andre Carter is on fire at the moment. Our secondary is missing the great Sean Taylor [RIP] but Doughty has done a fine job in his absence. Also note that Landry, Smoot and Springs, in particular, are throwing in some superb A-class performances of late. I'd personally have given MVP to Springs on Sunday. I thought he was fantastic. London Fletcher always plays well, but for me, the real key to all of this is Redskins football...

...Clinton Portis and the counter-gap. Once we establish that, if we can get a good 10 point half time lead, I see us winning. The Redskins are on fire right now. I was thrilled with the victories over Minnesota, New York and Dallas. Even more so with New York, because during the past 26 years I've watched Redskins football, the Giants ALWAYS give us a tough time. This team is most definitely better than our won/loss record would suggest. Look at the 2007 schedule.... with the sole exception of the Patriots [who are on a mission], we have lost games by 1 score. That means, 1 or 2 scoring plays EXTRA and we would have won those games.

I think the Skins can suprise a lot of teams. I don't think many teams will want to face the Skins right now. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

I agree with the earlier prediction on this feed too. Washington 20 Seattle 13.

Regards to all in America

William.

Reading the posts on this forum has led to some interesting conclusions. But overall, most of us seem to agree that the Skins can and probably will beat the Seahwawks.

At least, this is what I think we're all saying here. Personally, I think certain other factors have to come into play. I do believe the Skins will win. I do believe it will be close.

The O line has to on top form. The D have to play as hard as they have playing. Hasselbeck is no mug and he HAS to be got at. Alexander can definitely be controlled, if our D overpowers the Seahawk O line. Andre Carter is on fire at the moment. Our secondary is missing the great Sean Taylor [RIP] but Doughty has done a fine job in his absence. Also note that Landry, Smoot and Springs, in particular, are throwing in some superb A-class performances of late. I'd personally have given MVP to Springs on Sunday. I thought he was fantastic. London Fletcher always plays well, but for me, the real key to all of this is Redskins football...

...Clinton Portis and the counter-gap. Once we establish that, if we can get a good 10 point half time lead, I see us winning. The Redskins are on fire right now. I was thrilled with the victories over Minnesota, New York and Dallas. Even more so with New York, because during the past 26 years I've watched Redskins football, the Giants ALWAYS give us a tough time. This team is most definitely better than our won/loss record would suggest. Look at the 2007 schedule.... with the sole exception of the Patriots [who are on a mission], we have lost games by 1 score. That means, 1 or 2 scoring plays EXTRA and we would have won those games.

I think the Skins can suprise a lot of teams. I don't think many teams will want to face the Skins right now. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

I agree with the earlier prediction on this feed too. Washington 20 Seattle 13.

Regards to all in America

William.

I am saying that if the Skins play their game they can win.

When we played you guys in 2005 our QB was hurt and completely incapable of making plays. Mark Brunell had nothing that game and the defense got us to Seattle by single handedly beating the Bucs the previous week despite our horrid offense.

Collins has a 107 QB rating and is making plays (with no mistakes) in addition to the Skins defense dominating it's last 4 opponets and playing very well all year. If I were you I would not make comparisons to 2005 because this will be a completely different animal. To be honest that game in 2005 should not have been close given our offense. This time, in addition to a dominant defense, The Skins have an offense that is balanced, productive and attacking.

I guarantee you Holmgren knows this is a different team than the one he faced in 2005. On that same note Gibbs knows this Seattle team is different than the one in 2005.

I wasn't comparing the 2007 Seahawks with the 2005 version. I was simply making the point that in a year where Shaun Alexander was the league leading rusher, TD producer, etc., we won a game in which you took him out early. Granted, a banged-up Brunell was a mitigating factor in that game. Nevertheless, this year, our offense has been much less reliant on Shaun Alexander, therefore his presence is a much smaller factor in our success than it was in 2005.

Now, I do think it's important for us to have some success on the ground, and that's going to be difficult. Your defensive performance against the Cowboys' running game was remarkable! However, that happened in a specific game against a specific opponent in specific game conditions. (You didn't hold everyone you played this season to 1 yard rushing, right?)

One thing I do think is an advantage for us in this situation, that hasn't been mentioned much, is Holmgren's ability to game-plan, to match strengths against weaknesses and to negate opponents' strengths. He can do that as well as anyone in the league.

One thing I do think is an advantage for us in this situation, that hasn't been mentioned much, is Holmgren's ability to game-plan, to match strengths against weaknesses and to negate opponents' strengths. He can do that as well as anyone in the league.

Well, not as well as anyone. :)

266079.jpg

Archived