Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins @ Seahawks..serious thread

GIBBS LIVES

I wasn't comparing the 2007 Seahawks with the 2005 version. I was simply making the point that in a year where Shaun Alexander was the league leading rusher, TD producer, etc., we won a game in which you took him out early. Granted, a banged-up Brunell was a mitigating factor in that game. Nevertheless, this year, our offense has been much less reliant on Shaun Alexander, therefore his presence is a much smaller factor in our success than it was in 2005.

Now, I do think it's important for us to have some success on the ground, and that's going to be difficult. Your defensive performance against the Cowboys' running game was remarkable! However, that happened in a specific game against a specific opponent in specific game conditions. (You didn't hold everyone you played this season to 1 yard rushing, right?)

One thing I do think is an advantage for us in this situation, that hasn't been mentioned much, is Holmgren's ability to game-plan, to match strengths against weaknesses and to negate opponents' strengths. He can do that as well as anyone in the league.

I agree that Holmgren is not a coach that you want to give extra time to prepare a gameplan for. Next to Bill Walsh and Joe Gibbs I think Holmgren is the best game planner I've ever seen.

I understand that Seattle is much less Alexander dependent, but that is not necessarily a good thing especially in the playoffs. If Seattle thinks they are gonna pass themselves into the next round they are foolin themselves. I expect a balanced attack from Seattle and I think Holmgren will use Alexander more often and even as a decoy for playaction.

Coming into this game I think Seattle has to do more than the Redskins in order to win. Seattle has to become balanced while the Redskins are already balanced. Seattle's defense needs to step up while the Redskins defense needs to keep playing their game. That probably sounds biased from a Skins fan but the fact is the Skins are the hottest team in football next to the Pats and in the playoffs momentum is huge.

Another factor in all of this is the Skins are much more battle tested than the Seahawks. You guys haven't really played anyone of note and your division is soft. The Redskins by comparison have been through hell an back both on and off the field.

The one thing we both are not mentioning is special teams which could be the key. Rock Cartwright was the second best return man in the league next to the kid in Chicago and Atwan Randle El is always dangerous on punts. I honestly do not know much about Seattle's special teams.

The one thing we both are not mentioning is special teams which could be the key. Rock Cartwright was the second best return man in the league next to the kid in Chicago and Atwan Randle El is always dangerous on punts. I honestly do not know much about Seattle's special teams.

I posted this on another thread, but Seattle's special teams has more scores this year (3) than our defense does (2). I think the Redskins don't have any ST scores, and your defense has scored twice.

For what that's worth.

I haven't really seen much of the Seahawks this year especially since I didn't have anyone on my fantasy teams. From reading about them the last few days, I agree with Larry that, at least on offense, they match up well to our defense weaknesses.

If they like to dink and dunk..... putting together long drives, then I think we need to press their WRs hard at the line to start the game and try to take away their timing. I think part of the reason our defense has played well the last few games, is that we got an early lead and therefore they could stay aggressive. That will be key for us again, especially on the road in Seattle.

It will be tough running for Portis, but he's seen tough run defenses before and has been steady. On offense, I think we go as our OL goes. Heyer needs another big day and if we can protect Collins like we have the past few games, then he can find the open receivers. Collins has yet to be really pressured consistently, so I'm not sure how he would react. Let's hope we don't have to find out.

The winning streak has not made me confident in an easy victory as many on this board seem to be, but it has given me confidence that we can play with the Seahawks and beat them. That is not something I had most of the season because I didn't know which Redskins team would show up.

Lastly, this matchup should not really be compared to our 2005 playoff loss. Half the people on each team were not present for that game and the teams' personalities are different. At least from the Redskins perspective, we were fairly one dimensional with Brunell playing hurt and really relied on Portis. I think we are much more balanced this time around.

We CAN win this thing, but I expect it to be a hard victory if we do.

Offense

Defense

I based my post on scoring O and D, because

a) The post I was responding to was about how many points they scored last week.

B) Yardage doesn't win football games. Points do.

Scoring D doesn't factor in turnovers by the offense in your own territory, special teams td's, and scores by the other team's D. The NFL has always ranked Defense on yardage.

I think it will mostly come down to what many of us have been talking about, stopping their pass.

Hasslebeck was rattled in 05, then after the rogers drop, he started to light us up. Make him make a mistake, and take his confidence away early.

they got 4 capable WRs, that is scary, but if we make them one dimensional, we should be able to take control and win the game

It will come down to the fact that in 05 we had a qb coming off of a 120 yard day to end the season and a 40 yard day in the wild card game. Todd Collins is going to torch them.

Basically, you're comparing the 2005 game and this one, and saying the only major variable change is the Redskins QB, right? I don't doubt he can perform better than Brunell did in 2005, but that's not the only thing to consider. Not by a long shot.

Basically, you're comparing the 2005 game and this one, and saying the only major variable change is the Redskins QB, right? I don't doubt he can perform better than Brunell did in 2005, but that's not the only thing to consider. Not by a long shot.

The other variables won't matter. If TC plays like he has been playing, the game will be over by half time. Seahawks are not a good team. They are probably the worst 10 win team in the history of the NFL.

The other variables won't matter. If TC plays like he has been playing, the game will be over by half time. Seahawks are not a good team. They are probably the worst 10 win team in the history of the NFL.

Well now, I will be interested in seeing if you have the nads to eat crow should the Hawks somehow miraculously upset the mighty Skins.

This will be fun.

Honestly, I think your analysis of the Seahawks is unnecessary. The way the Redskins are playing right now, it´s going to be very hard to beat us regardless who we play. Todd Collins is playing unbelievable right now. Our 3rd down % must be somewhere in 60s. He runs this offense beautifully and makes it possible for Portis and the oline to play as good as they can. The defense is flying and playing superb. If we continue to play the way we have the last four weeks then the Seahawks really have no chance.

Bring ear plugs.

If noise levels decided games you guys would have a lot of lombardi trophies.

The Skins have three Lombardi trophies and I can tell you that noise level did not make our opponets give up.

Noise is only a factor if you are playing well and winning. It has been my experience that those big crowds get mighty quiet when the other team is making plays.

I remember how quiet Seattle got in 2005 when Rogers almost got that pick early and when Alexander got knocked out. Thus proving that Seattle's crowd is loud but they can be silenced like any other crowd.

Ok..time to get serious and lay it on the line. The Seahawks have become a one demensional team. They rely on the pass to do it all for them. Shawn Alexander wasn't a factor against us last time, and he's even less of a factor now. They clearly are weaker then the team that went to the Super Bowl a couple of years ago.

The Seahawks have no WR that scares anybody and our secondary matches up WELL against their WR's. If we can get to Hassleback, rough him up like we did Romo sits to pee, he'll make mistakes. He has never handled adversity that well and his weaknesses are hidden because he plays in the weakest division in football.

I'm not being bias because of my affection for our skins, but I realistically see us winning this game 20-13.

Even if we don't get alot of pressure on Hassleback (we will), if he choses to pass all day long, we are going to pick him off and maybe even take a few downtown. There is no way he's picking apart our backfield.....just not happening. And, our offense will be putting it to them.....Portis will have 35 carries for 130 yards, and Collins will spread it out, just like the last three weeks.

Washington - 30

Seattle - 17

:point2sky

I was there in 05. The fans don't make that much noise. The acoustics are good.

"Pre-game crowd noise, just before the kickoff...

It's pretty loud, louder than any game so far, at any point. And we haven't started yet."

That was recorded by someone from ExtremeSkins who went to that game and reported back to ES. I have a hard time reconciling your account of the crowd noise with that account and thousands of others that contradict it.

It's pretty loud, louder than any game so far, at any point. And we haven't started yet."

That was recorded by someone from ExtremeSkins who went to that game and reported back to ES. I have a hard time reconciling your account of the crowd noise with that account and thousands of others that contradict it.

I was in the 1st row behind the Skins bench for that playoff game - field level obviously - so I had a pretty good idea of what the noise was like. In a word - deafening. By far, the loudest stadium I've ever been in. I had to scream at the top of my lungs for my buddy next to me to hear me. Everyone in the stadium was on their feet the entire game. I can't imagine a place where the fans have more of an influence on the outcome of a game.

This will be the toughest place we have to play. Tougher than Dallas. And tougher than Green Bay.

This team scares me more than any other team in the NFC. They aren't the best team in the NFC but they matchup with us better than any of the other teams.

We have clearly shown that we will stop the run and that bodes well against the other 4 teams in the NFC, but the Seahawks simply PASS PASS PASS. If we do not get serious pressure on Hasslebeck it could be a long day for the likes of Smoot and Torrence. On the road in that element, we cannot afford to get into a shootout.

I'm proud of this team and hope everything continues to roll as it has this past month but I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see the train lose its steam Saturday afternoon.

I was there in 05. The fans don't make that much noise. The acoustics are good.

I was in the 1st row behind the Skins bench for that playoff game - field level obviously - so I had a pretty good idea of what the noise was like. In a word - deafening. By far, the loudest stadium I've ever been in. I had to scream at the top of my lungs for my buddy next to me to hear me. Everyone in the stadium was on their feet the entire game. I can't imagine a place where the fans have more of an influence on the outcome of a game.

This will be the toughest place we have to play. Tougher than Dallas. And tougher than Green Bay.

It's one loud friggin' stadium. It doesn't matter if it's the crowd or if it's acoustics. It's loud.

Sorry but I don't believe that one demensional, weak division team can beat us. Hasselback is the same average QB he's always been. The best thing they have going for them is the crowd noise up there but I've watched Hasselback for years. And he's average. He's average in a below average division. That's been his saving grace. If we didn't have the turnovers we had last time, we would have beaten them then. I just don't believe it them.

If we jump on them, the crowd won't be a factor. But we played well last time. Turnovers killed us.

What the heck are you talking about? You guys were +2 in turnovers in that game! You lost one fumble, we lost three.

And I don't know what criteria you are using to judge Hasselbeck as "average" but I'll respectfully disagree and insist he is above average. Ignore that to your own peril.

Archived