Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What position are we in need of most to rebuild next year in the draft/free agency?

walker77

We're about to start the playoffs...I couldn't care less about where we need to improve...we have a shot to do something amazing here...actually, we already have just by getting this far.

Once we are eliminated, if that happens, then we can start talking about what to fix.

Let's enjoy the ride!

In order:

1. DE to replace Philip Daniels(who we can still use because he's great against the run)

2. Oline(need to find replacement for Pete Kendall. We also need to groom a right guard to replace Randy Thomas in the future. The right guard will also add depth. Fabini is not that good a player, sorry to say. We may also need to draft another tackle. Chris Samuels and Jon Jansen are both old. Heyer will replace Jansen. We'll need another tackle to add depth and replace Samuels when he gets olders.)

3. A tall WR. I'm not sure how good Anthony Mix will turn out. Let our coaches decide

4. Probably a defensive back. If we're going to cut Springs(who's just too expensive, but a great player nonetheless), we will definitely need a CB.

I don't think we need a big, playmaking #1 receiver. If you look at Saunders' offense in KC, he had a good TE and a couple of decent but no-name receivers. We have a good TE in Cooley and our current crop of receivers (Moss, ARE, Caldwell) are better than what Al had in KC.

I'd say DL, OL, and DB (depending on whether we keep Springs) should be our priorities in the draft.

With proven receivers coming out in FA (Bernard Berrian anyone?) I agree with getting one more playmaker on defense, esp, the DL, but in all honesty, we should take the best player available in the first round. Assuming we win a few playoff games, the team will have a pretty low pick in the draft so I wouldn't assume anything right now....they could trade down to the 2nd and be ok.

Check this out, IF, we get another quality D-lineman Carter could play a pseudo 3-4 outside LB position. Evans has come on quite well but Carter needs some help rushing the passer against the premier tackles of the league. Daniels is playing great against the run but he's really a non-factor in pressuring the QB.

BTW, Props to Golston, Monty, and Griffen this year. They have exceeded my expectations.

I don't think we need a big, playmaking #1 receiver. If you look at Saunders' offense in KC, he had a good TE and a couple of decent but no-name receivers. We have a good TE in Cooley and our current crop of receivers (Moss, ARE, Caldwell) are better than what Al had in KC.

I'd say DL, OL, and DB (depending on whether we keep Springs) should be our priorities in the draft.

Oooo...I'm going to have to disagree big time here. Why? Because a big receiver (even if he's a #3 guy) will create uber-matchup problems with the team's secondary and give us another option in the redzone besides pounding the rock.

The Chargers have disgusting size...Gates, Chambers, Floyd, and the other guy....with LT in the backfield...Norv and Rivers are such a duds!!!...if they had kept Brees, they would be blowing everyone out.

But you are sort of right, we really don't NEED a big playmaking #1 but think of how much better the offense would be. We would even challenge the Pukes and even, should I say it?, the Pats (after we get rid of Lloyd of course) for best receiving corps out there.

Look at this scenario:

1. Moss

2. Berrian/Ochocinco/etc.

3. Randel El

4. Cooleys

5. Caldwell/Thrash/whoever.

That's tight. The real question would be, could we afford it?

I think no matter what direction we go in, the team needs to know that they do not have to fill every void this off-season, and that they don't have to fill every void wit a probowler or future hall-of-famer. i mean, it would be nice if they could, but i think they should go after maybe one or two spectacular players, and the rest should be solid players. you don't need 53 prowbowlers to win a superbowl. get what they can this year, then just keep buildin next off-season.

Look at this scenario:

1. Moss

2. Berrian/Ochocinco/etc.

3. Randel El

4. Cooleys

5. Caldwell/Thrash/whoever.

That's tight. The real question would be, could we afford it?

Haha, no doubt that'd be great, but like you said, could we afford it? And would you draft a WR before DL, DB, or even OL? Those are our biggest needs, IMO. A big receiver is more of a luxury than a need at this point, especially if we keep Caldwell.

If we did a big WR he would not have to be a Berrian, just a #3 with a height advantage over the opposing seconary. Still, O line needs a few pro-bowlers added to it. That would be the inexpensive way to make it to the superbowl next year. Or at the very lest beat Dallas twice.

Sorry, we should not go after a receiver. A receiver rarely makes a huge impact on offense, unless they are TO or Randy moss where they constantly demand double teams.

If we build up our offensive line, with better protection, we can wait a little bit longer for receivers to get open and we can run the ball better.

See how that works?

Better line = less fumbles, less sacks, less stalled drives, less pressure on our QB, more time to throw, better running lanes, better rush numbers.

I dunno about DE to be honest...the best DE we are projected to get is Calais Campbell who can't break double teams, not too mention he wont be that immediate impact that we are looking for.

We're better off tryna find a gem in the third round - I'm really hopin we can find a Jared Allen or Osi Umenyiora there (both of them were drafted late)

If we did a big WR he would not have to be a Berrian, just a #3 with a height advantage over the opposing seconary. Still, O line needs a few pro-bowlers added to it. That would be the inexpensive way to make it to the superbowl next year. Or at the very lest beat Dallas twice.

That's all I want ;)

P.S. James Hardy, second round. Get on it Dan.

I'm always willing to look ahead.

We need two guards, one to start and one to be the modern equivalent of Raleigh McKenzie.

A DE would be nice because while I like Carter and Wilson it would be nice to have a DE who excells against both run and pass.

A larger WR would be a nice bonus, but only a bonus.

I think people might be overlooking a need at LB. GOdfrey was only signed to a one year deal an McIntosh's injury could cause him to miss all next season. Ideally it'd be someone who could take Rocky's spot next season and slide over to Fletcher or Washington's spot the year after.

And finally, most likely we'll need a third QB.

Archived