Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Todd Collins -- Gone Next Year?

Mania

Collins is being successful because of his understanding of our system. Put him in another system and his marginal physical ability will show through - any team which offers him a starting job and money is making a mistake. He probably realises that himself.

If someone does offer him the moon on a stick good luck to him and I wish him well.

We should offer him a good two year deal to be our #2 and insurance policy in case Jason does not make the progress we all hope. We might even sweeten the pot with the promise of a coaching gig after the two years if he wants to go that way.

In the meantime lets hope he continues to play at the level he has the last few weeks and takes us deep into the playoffs.

So you are saying SD will give up on Rivers? Because that would be an awful move for Rivers career if they hope to keep him improving.

They have a three to four year window of opportunity to be Super Bowl contenders in San Diego. Playing with a far superior supporting cast this season, Rivers has numbers on a par with Campbell's.

That would present a test of my patience and A.J. Smith doesn't strike me as the patient type.

It is going to be interesting to see what he decides to do, and how much real interest there will be for him.

On one hand, he's gone out there and shown what he can do, and it has been top notch. On the other hand, he's 36 years old and part of the reason why he's so successful is because of his knowledge of Saunders' system. Could he have similar success in someone else's system, particularly since he doesn't have a strong arm?

If someone does give him a big chance to start elsewhere, I think it would be hard to pass up.

Jason

I believe Norv's system is closer to the current Dallas's system. Jason Garrett, who runs Dallas's offense, was a backup to Aikman when Norv was there.

Al Saunders' offense is completely different from Gibbs, though they share the commong root and some philosophy of Air Coryell.

The common root and philosophy is what I meant.

Norv Turner learned from Erne Zampese when he was in Los Angeles. Erne Zampese was the co offensive coordinator with Joe Gibbs under Coryell. Norv has a similar philosphy as Joe Gibbs and Al Saunders with a much less complex offense.

"I'm just going to continue to go out there and go through my progressions and get the ball off in time," Collins said. "

Don Coryell popularized the idea of having the QB make his reads in a natural progression. The idea of having the QB anticipate the open man was one of Sid Gillman's theories. I think that all Coryell-based schemes have these things in common.

As a logical deduction, we can expect that a quick release and first-rate accuracy are required to run these schemes well.

Don Coryell popularized the idea of having the QB make his reads in a natural progression. The idea of having the QB anticipate the open man was one of Sid Gillman's theories. I think that all Coryell-based schemes have these things in common.

As a logical deduction, we can expect that a quick release and first-rate accuracy are required to run these schemes well.

Sure, but I think A Saunders takes those ideas to another level.

Saunders offense doesn't execute anything like Gibbs offense at all.

I say he stays because of Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs. He knows the system and he knows that Jason is the guy of the future. I wouldn't be a bit surprise that he retires in a year or two and becomes a QB coach with either the Redskins or somewhere where Al Saunders is coaching. The guy is smart and knows the system we run.

Sure, but I think A Saunders takes those ideas to another level.

Saunders offense doesn't execute anything like Gibbs offense at all.

Joe believes that you use the run to set up the pass. Al wants to use the pass to set up the run underneath. Joe would run 60% of the time, Al would pass 60% of the time. Al believes in volume and unpredictability. Joe wants to run the same play time and again until you stop it. Al uses his RB as a receiver, Joe uses him more as a blocker in the pass game. There are a lot of differences.

But, it's the basic Coryell structure of the passing game that we're talking about. Both design their passing plays so that the QB goes through a natural progression of reads and anticipates the receiver coming open. Both require their receivers to run precise patterns.

I really want Todd to get a SB Ring, I'm willing to bet if he earned one it would justify his 10 years riding the bench and working hard, such a great under-dog story. And after the season he would gracefully accept backup role and not move to another team, and help pour out his rain-man brain to our Future QB jason.

one game at a time though, I hope Gibbs is smart enough not to bench him.

Collins' prospects are either to stay here and play backup in an offensive system that he's mastered and that he plays well in, or to go to another team that needs to patch a hole at QB with a veteran for a year or two while they look for a longer term solution (Minny? Miami? Chicago?).

The latter will likely yield better money for him, and I suspect that with the way he's talked about having waited so long for an opportunity, he wants a chance to start again and see what he can do.

Collins should be the starting QB next season.

He is far better than Campbell.

:dallasuck

Absolutely, Campbell played a year, if he was even decent he would have avoided injury and be in the pro bowl by now like all the other young QBs. Just waive him and lets get on the Collins train and let him create a new dynasty. He can probably play until 47 or so. We need to resign Brunell and we can talk Testaverde out of retirement and go forward with 3 very veteran QBs with an average age of 40.

Who has time to develop players in the NFL anymore anyway? I mean the Falcons figured out Brett Favre was a bust within a few years at Atlanta.

If all else fails we can trade away our draft picks this year for another veteran QB who is appriaching 40.

Absolutely, Campbell played a year, if he was even decent he would have avoided injury and be in the pro bowl by now like all the other young QBs. Just waive him and lets get on the Collins train and let him create a new dynasty. He can probably play until 47 or so. We need to resign Brunell and we can talk Testaverde out of retirement and go forward with 3 very veteran QBs with an average age of 40.

Who has time to develop players in the NFL anymore anyway? I mean the Falcons figured out Brett Favre was a bust within a few years at Atlanta.

If all else fails we can trade away our draft picks this year for another veteran QB who is appriaching 40.

I thought you were being serious for a minute. :laugh:

I like that Brett Favre comment. Maybe the worst move the Falcons ever made.

He is going to get his money up, there is no question about that. I don't about Saunders getting a job elsewhere either. I don't know how many openings outside of Atlanta are going to be available. There is Miami, but it sounds to me that job will be filled with Dallas people. I think that Marvin Lewis saved his job and I don't think that the Rams coach will be fired. Therefore, I feel that Saunders and Collins will get a pay bump from us and Mark Brunell might have happy trails.

Collins' prospects are either to stay here and play backup in an offensive system that he's mastered and that he plays well in, or to go to another team that needs to patch a hole at QB with a veteran for a year or two while they look for a longer term solution (Minny? Miami? Chicago?).

The latter will likely yield better money for him, and I suspect that with the way he's talked about having waited so long for an opportunity, he wants a chance to start again and see what he can do.

He's 37, and he's suddenly looking at an unexpected windfall. He is going to go somewhere with a desperate QB situation for a few million bucks. I see him playing the Kurt Warner role in Miami next year.

He's 37' date=' and he's suddenly looking at an unexpected windfall. He is going to go somewhere with a desperate QB situation for a few million bucks. I see him playing the Kurt Warner role in Miami next year.[/quote']

Which would be ironic given he would be taking over from Trent Green (kinda) who he spent most of his adult life backing up.

I agree if he gets an offer of a starting gig and a two year deal with good guaranteed money he would be a fool to pass it up. I also think though that teams are going to understand that he is a product of his comfort level in Saunders system and not offer anything really enticing. As for the Dolphins Parcells is no idiot so unless he decided to Cam Cameron (racing certainty) and replace him with Al Saunders as HC (cant see it - not his type of offense) then I can't see him going for Collins.

Which would be ironic given he would be taking over from Trent Green (kinda) who he spent most of his adult life backing up.

I agree if he gets an offer of a starting gig and a two year deal with good guaranteed money he would be a fool to pass it up. I also think though that teams are going to understand that he is a product of his comfort level in Saunders system and not offer anything really enticing. As for the Dolphins Parcells is no idiot so unless he decided to Cam Cameron (racing certainty) and replace him with Al Saunders as HC (cant see it - not his type of offense) then I can't see him going for Collins.

It doesn't matter who the QB is in Miami next year, because they are most likely going to draft someone. Unless the do something dramatic and try to get Derrick Anderson, they aren't going to find their QB of the future in Free Agency.

Collins is more than capable apparently of going 6-10 and keeping thing professional while Parcells tries to straighten that team out.

Unless he brings back Drew Bledsoe....

Another possibility is that A Saunders is offered a starting coaching job, and Collins leaves WITH Saunders as a starting QB (credit to Oldfan for thinking of this possibility).

This is EXACTLY what I've been thinking, especially since Billick got fired. The Ravens' O is setup closely to what Saunders had in KC, and the team already has a great D. Saunders could make them instant contenders again. :(

Hopefully Dan opens up the wallet and keeps them both. If Collins manages to win more than one playoff game and we're able to retain Saunders another year, I want Collins, not JC, starting next year.

Archived