Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jansen to the Cutting Board?

BleedinBurgNGold

No doubt Jon's been hurt. That's obvious. But one has to ask if there's someone presently on the roster or in free agency who can replace him effectively. I don't think the team cuts him for that reason among others. Now down the road, Jon could find himself backing somebody up, but man I'm not sure now he'd take that.

He'll probably restructure his cap figure to the league minimum. The injuries have taken their toll and we probably cannot be a 16 game starter, but he has gas still in the tank. Heyer can get some time in 08 and take over in 09 for good.

Heyer is already listed ahead of Wade on the depth chart, so maybe he will be the starter next year.

I find it strange that Heyer jumping ahead of Wade had not been talked about more or did I miss something?

No doubt Jon's been hurt. That's obvious. But one has to ask if there's someone presently on the roster or in free agency who can replace him effectively. I don't think the team cuts him for that reason among others. Now down the road, Jon could find himself backing somebody up, but man I'm not sure now he'd take that.

I think Heyer has shown that he can step it up. He was undrafted and got no reps with the first team during the offseason. I think he can do it.

I love Jansen, but his time has passed.

He is one of the most inconsistent Redskins IMO only because he is hurt a good deal. Not sure I remember the last time Jansen played a full season. Do we give him up or give him another go? Also Cap issues with him might warrant a release

Jansen has been losing a step for the past 4 years. I am very glad to see Stephon Heyer doing so well and I hope the kid is ready.

:applause: he just signed an extension his cap # makes sense unless you cut him. Have you guys been here before? Welcome to Extremeskins home of the educated fan. Great Post Merry Christmas :) :applause: :silly: :notworthy

well Mr Educated since you know so much more than we do.. Have you ever thought of a trade situation?

I think Heyer has shown that he can step it up. He was undrafted and got no reps with the first team during the offseason. I think he can do it.

I love Jansen, but his time has passed.

He sure has, but at this time I'm not completely sure that he's done enough to take the starting position away from Jon,(undrafted or not and aside from the injuries and Heyer has been injured himself). While I admit that Jon was having his troubles before his injury this year, I don't think that Heyer has played consistently as well as Jon has over his more significant time on the line, (go figure). He may, but only this offseason will tell that one. Right now though, when both are healthy, I'll still take Jansen by a nose over Heyer.

Jon is a proven starter, who is showing signs of wear and tear.

Once he comes back, it is time to try to keep him either as a temporary starter (in case he gets injured again) or as a backup. It doesn't make any sense to cut him, given that he signed a new contract.

As for Heyer, we will see whether he should be ahead of Wade when Wade is completely healthy. It is a whole new year next year; our o-line will be reshuffled.

One good thing we get out of this year -- we are getting some depth in our o-line.

Jon Jansen will be here next year. He is too expensive to cut.

If we cut him pre June 1st his dead cap will be 10+ mil.

If we cut him post June 1st he will save us 5 mil next year but he will cost us 6.75 mil in Dead Cap next year, 2009.

So in order to Post June 1st cut him (the only one that makes sense) then he will cost us 3.85 mil in dead cap next year. **Remember that Number**

His actual contract numbers for the rest of his contract are as follows.

Salary = 4.98

SB = 2.6

Roster or other Bonus Money due = 1.25

Total = 8.833 mil

Salary = 1.3

SB = 1

Total = 3.6 mil

Salary = 4.35

SB = 1

Total = 6.6 mil

Salary = 4.35

SB = 1

Total = 6.6 mil

He will restructure this year or take a paycut. If you actually look at his numbers it was designed for 2008 to be a restructure, 2009 to ride the contract as is, 2010 to pay cut or in despiration pay him, 2011 the is def the pay cut or release year.

His numbers in a restructure will probably look like this.

Salary = 1 Mil

Bonus Money = 3.91 mil

Total Cap = 4.91 mil for a Savings next year of 3.92 million, or exactly 1.07 million more then what it would cost to June 1st him and you will still have a good starter or one of the best backups in the league for 1.07 million. You can't sign a Good FA backup for 1.07 mil. Also a Post June 1st cut in 08 will cost us 1.84 mil more in dead cap in 2009 then it would to do a standard restructure.

What this restructure would do for the rest of his contract.

Salary = 1.3

SB = 2.31

Total = 4.91 mil

(Costs 6.75 mil in Dead cap to cut him in 2008 as a Post June 1st cut)

Salary = 4.35

SB = 2.31

Total = 7.91 mil

Salary = 4.35

SB = 2.31

Total = 7.91 mil

I will say it again. By design his contract is a restructure this year, ride it out in 09, keep him only if we have too in 2010 or paycut and the same for 2011.

well Mr Educated since you know so much more than we do.. Have you ever thought of a trade situation?

Maybe he did, but he was responding to posts that said "Cut him", which included yours. Maybe you should have included trade him as well.

I feel bad for Jon, he is a true Redskin and he keeps getting hurt by freak injuries. Dislocated ankle/broken thumbs/torn achilles. The man just has bad luck. Him and Thomas are a force together however, given thier ages and cap numbers it might be time to cut him

I think he's one of the more overrated players on our roster even when healthy, but IMO he never really recovered fully from his previous injury.

Not sure what the ramifications would be for cutting him though, since he has a new deal he's probably uncuttable and untradable depending on what the signing bonus was.

I think he's one of the more overrated players on our roster even when healthy, but IMO he never really recovered fully from his previous injury.

Not sure what the ramifications would be for cutting him though, since he has a new deal he's probably uncuttable and untradable depending on what the signing bonus was.

Pre June 1st cut OR trade

10.6 mil dead cap charge

Post June 1st cut or trade

3.8 in 2008

6.75 in 2009 Dead cap charges.

Pre June 1st cut OR trade

10.6 mil dead cap charge

Post June 1st cut or trade

3.8 in 2008

6.75 in 2009 Dead cap charges.

Thanks for posting those figures. It's much more likely from those that he'll be restructured. I don't think his starting job is very secure though. Very possible that he'll end up being a very expensive back up.

Archived