Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7-year-old killed with Mortal Kombat moves

SkinsTerps26

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=178056

7-year-old killed with Mortal Kombat moves

Thursday 20-Dec-2007 9:59 AM Drunk teens batter girl with MK imitations, face 48 years in jail

Two teenagers have been arrested after killing a seven-year-old girl by immitating moves from the Mortal Kombat games say prosecutors.

We've all shouted "GET OVER HERE" and pretended to uppercut a mate in the face in our yoof, but Heather Trujillo, 16, and Lamar Roberts, 17, went way further under the influence when they "punched, kicked and body-slammed" Trujillo's half sister, Zoe Garcia, until she lost consciousness.

The teens reportedly tried to revive Garcia, but she later died in hospital. The autopsy showed Garcia had suffered a broken wrist, bleeding in the neck, swelling of the brain and more than 20 bruises.

What's wrong with these kids???

Ridiculous :doh:

Cue the violent games create violence crowd.

Is there a cure for idiocy?....Drunk babysitters :rolleyes:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2007/dec/20/teens-held-girls-mortal-kombat-death/

The teens were baby-sitting Trujillo's sister, Zoe Garcia, on Dec. 6 while the sisters' mother was at work.

They began wrestling and enacting a game of Mortal Kombat, court affidavits say. Zoe lost consciousness after being hit, kicked and body-slammed to the floor.

The documents say Trujillo told police she was on top of her sister "holding her arms down with her legs while tapping on her chest like a typewriter when the victim passed out." Roberts was not wrestling but was acting "as the referee," the affidavits say.

Trujillo said she sent Zoe to bed after she regained consciousness. When she checked on her about 15 minutes later, she was not breathing. Trujillo and Roberts tried to revive the girl in the shower and attempted CPR before calling the mother and then 911.

In an interview later at police headquarters, Trujillo said she tripped Zoe, "punched her in the stomach, karate chopped her lower arms, punched and pinched the victim's thighs, kicked her in the shins, slapped her stomach and buttocks and poked at the victim's chest."

A witness quoted in an affidavit said Roberts told her he had kicked the girl and that his hands were "lethal weapons."

The witness said Roberts performed a back kick and the girl didn't get up. He said he and Trujillo "cracked an egg in her mouth . . . in an attempt to see if she was messing around with them" by faking unconsciousness.

The witness said she asked Roberts whether Zoe had asked them to stop. "Yeah, she told me to stop," he said. Asked why he didn't stop, he said, "I don't know; I was drunk."

He says this as if it excuses it... so stupid!

Certainly doesn't excuse it ST26. Not by a longshot. But I think these two are facing involuntary manslaughter at the most. I think back to wrestling with my brother as kids, and some of the stuff we did could've caused serious injury, hell, maybe even death (piledrivers and stuff :doh: ) if done wrong. I don't think there was any intent to kill the little girl. And it's up to the jury how they view the intoxication aspect.

I'm not going to blame the video games. I'm going to blame the REAL culprits here....

The KIDS who were stupid enough to do a multitude of ridiculous things from drinking alcohol to beating a younger child to death.

and

THE PARENTS!!!! The people who raised these little killers. The parent who let these kids babysit their children and somehow left alcohol in an accessible location.

Let's actually look at the REAL culprits and leave the video games out of this.

Certainly doesn't excuse it ST26. Not by a longshot. But I think these two are facing involuntary manslaughter at the most. I think back to wrestling with my brother as kids, and some of the stuff we did could've caused serious injury, hell, maybe even death (piledrivers and stuff :doh: ) if done wrong. I don't think there was any intent to kill the little girl. And it's up to the jury how they view the intoxication aspect.

Yah we all did that as kids, but if you look at the injuries suffered as well as the fact they were drunk... I think its a bit different.

This would be an entirely different thing if the kid died b/c of one piledriver. What appears to have happened is repeated abuse over a long period of time that caused a lot of pain and suffering.

These kids should be locked up for a long time.

BTW... I was the best at putting people in the figure 4 :cool:

Yah we all did that as kids, but if you look at the injuries suffered as well as the fact they were drunk... I think its a bit different.

This would be an entirely different thing if the kid died b/c of one piledriver. What appears to have happened is repeated abuse over a long period of time that caused a lot of pain and suffering.

These kids should be locked up for a long time.

I remember letting a friend put me in a real figure four, and trying to pretend he couldn't hurt me. I didn't limp until he left, but after that I hobbled for almost a week. :laugh:

Anyway, I agree with you that this is different. And I'm certainly not trying to excuse there actions, as I'm sure you realize. However, the injuries described don't seem to be...sigh...excessive. Or at least there's nothing that jumps out at me as the cause of death.

I suspect she suffocated while having her arms pinned down (in the "typewriter" thing) and died later of brain damage caused by the suffocation. Kind of like people that police officers have had to "hogtie" that died of complications later. But that's just a completely unscientific guess at this point.

I'll definitely be interested to see the autopsy results from this case. And quite honestly, I have no idea if they'll affirm my feelings on this as of now, or change my feelings completely.

I'm not going to blame the video games. I'm going to blame the REAL culprits here....

The KIDS who were stupid enough to do a multitude of ridiculous things from drinking alcohol to beating a younger child to death.

and

THE PARENTS!!!! The people who raised these little killers. The parent who let these kids babysit their children and somehow left alcohol in an accessible location.

Let's actually look at the REAL culprits and leave the video games out of this.

i... agree?

I remember letting a friend put me in a real figure four, and trying to pretend he couldn't hurt me. I didn't limp until he left, but after that I hobbled for almost a week. :laugh:

Anyway, I agree with you that this is different. And I'm certainly not trying to excuse there actions, as I'm sure you realize. However, the injuries described don't seem to be...sigh...excessive. Or at least there's nothing that jumps out at me as the cause of death.

I suspect she suffocated while having her arms pinned down (in the "typewriter" thing) and died later of brain damage caused by the suffocation. Kind of like people that police officers have had to "hogtie" that died of complications later. But that's just a completely unscientific guess at this point.

I'll definitely be interested to see the autopsy results from this case. And quite honestly, I have no idea if they'll affirm my feelings on this as of now, or change my feelings completely.

This was a 7 year old child. Every injury on her was excessive. My god. This wasn't a case of similar aged kids hurting one another accidentally. They beat a helpless little girl to death. This was an act well beyond any sensible thing that a 16 year old should do. There's no claiming ignorance or immaturity. They are old enough to know better. Out side of physcopathic behavior, good parents don't raise children who beat their siblings to death under any circumstance. This is a horribly sad thing. It underscores all that is wrong with family life for much of our society. Lack of parental control, supervision and involvment in their childs lives. It absolutely disgusts me.

I was at a WWF show a couple of years ago, and I saw a kid piledrive his buddy right on the concrete! It was crazy. Kid got right up, so they either did it right, or that kid is tough as hell.....

The guy has to roll it over. Then it hurts you instead. Hurts like hell....

oh, and what supposed "mortal kombat" moves did they use? high punch? low punch? or maybe they threw a spear through her neck.

Exactly. Only because they yelled "Get Over Here!" It's mortal Kombat moves? Punching & kicking is in every game, or real life.....

However, the injuries described don't seem to be...sigh...excessive. Or at least there's nothing that jumps out at me as the cause of death.
The autopsy showed Garcia had suffered a broken wrist, bleeding in the neck, swelling of the brain and more than 20 bruises.

:doh:

oddly enough, i wrote an essay last semester about aggression and violent video games and how its all bull****.

It drives me crazy when people want to blame video games, movies, and all sorts of other crap for THEIR INABILITY to properly raise their children and THEIR CHILDREN'S INABILITY to act like reasonable human beings.

What scares me even more is that there are people out there who buy into these excuses.

It drives me crazy when people want to blame video games, movies, and all sorts of other crap for THEIR INABILITY to properly raise their children and THEIR CHILDREN'S INABILITY to act like reasonable human beings.

What scares me even more is that there are people out there who buy into these excuses.

Ditto.

Parents need to step up. My mom never did but I was one of the lucky few to learn how to behave on my own.

Most kids need someone to push them in the right direction though. This is your job as a parent.

Here here! I think in this society, there is a culture of "it's someone else's problem." No one likes to take responsibility for their own, or their children's, actions. It's easier to blame society, the government, the school system, etc... So sad. Accountability is quickly fading in this country.

And I blame the media! :D

(jk!)

Here here! I think in this society, there is a culture of "it's someone else's problem." No one likes to take responsibility for their own, or their children's, actions. It's easier to blame society, the government, the school system, etc... So sad. Accountability is quickly fading in this country.

I'll tell you what the issue is....

People don't want to take responsibility for their own actions because if they do so, they'll probably end up getting punished. They'll get fined, imprisoned, or at least humiliated and ostracized (and probably SUED) by admitting that they ****ed up.

THAT'S why people won't take responsibillity for their own actions

I know what HH is trying to say here. Siblings beat on eachother. These kids were messing around, but clearly went WAY too far. Stupid drunk kids. So so stupid and senseless.

I don't know how anyone could suggest this has anything to do with video games, any more than the power rangers or some dumb karate movie. These kids were pretending to fight, and the older ones were too drunk to restrain themselves properly. Would've happened with or without Mortal Kombat.

I know what HH is trying to say here. Siblings beat on eachother. These kids were messing around, but clearly went WAY too far. Stupid drunk kids. So so stupid and senseless.

I don't know how anyone could suggest this has anything to do with video games, any more than the power rangers or some dumb karate movie. These kids were pretending to fight, and the older ones were too drunk to restrain themselves properly. Would've happened with or without Mortal Kombat.

God, thank you Henry. :doh:

I was looking at it in my last post from a strictly legal perspective. And unfortunately in this country to earn most murder convictions, you have to prove intent. And clearly, neither of those two idiots intended to kill the girl. It's tragic. It's horrible. And trust me, as a parent, my heart goes out to that little girls parents. But there is simply not going to be a conviction for murder in this case, unless there are other facts out there that we don't know yet. (As I mentioned earlier, possibly the autopsy results will sway things.)

As for those of you who appear to be suggesting that I condone this incident, or am trying to diminish it in some way, you should know me better. :2cents:

I swear if a congressman blames video games for this and DOESN'T mention parenting or underage drinking, I'm writing a letter to every senator and representative in the country.

As for the "Mortal Kombat" moves, I'm guessing they are blaming that because they said "get over here" and there was a "fatality," and that's probably it.

Archived