Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP - 4 Plead Not Guilty in Taylor Slaying

SonnyRules

Not much new here. Let's wait and see what happens Friday.

Can't wait to see these thugs get what's coming to them.

Link:

http://www.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7408&eeid=5592493&_sitecat=1526&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=-2&ck=&ch=sp&rg=blsadstrgt&_lid=332&_lnm=tg+sp+topnews

Published: 12/19/07, 6:05 PM EDT

MIAMI (AP) - Four suspects accused in the killing of Redskins Pro Bowl safety Sean Taylor have filed written not guilty pleas to first-degree felony murder and armed burglary charges.

The filing of a written plea usually means defendants do not appear in person at an arraignment, said Ed Griffith, spokesman for State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle. The arraignment hearing in the case is set for Friday.

The four suspects from the Fort Myers area are charged with breaking into Taylor's Miami home Nov. 26 and shooting him during a confrontation in his bedroom. Taylor, who grew up in this area and played at the University of Miami before being drafted by the Redskins, died the next day at age 24.

Jailed without bond in the case are Eric Rivera Jr., 17; Charles Wardlow, 18; Jason Mitchell, 19; and Venjah Hunte, 20. Their written not guilty pleas were filed last week, according to court records.

At least two of the defendants have confessed to taking part in the attempted burglary and a grand jury indictment identified Rivera as the one who shot Taylor.

Taylor, an All-American at Miami, was selected posthumously on Tuesday to the 2008 Pro Bowl, recognizing him as the NFC's top free safety in balloting by coaches, players and fans.

Taylor was at home in Miami instead of with the Redskins the night of the burglary because he was nursing a knee injury.

Could they be pleading not guilty to the murder charge only? I could see all 3 except Rivera try to get out of the murder charge, and perhaps hope for just the burglary charge. Though, not being a lawyer, I don't exactly know how these things work.

What constitutes premediated and accidental murder law definitions differs in states; therefore, we might need a Flordia attorney to give us the "scoop".

But "NOT GUILTY"? :doh: - Attorney advice I am sure :mad:

I say bring them to FED EX Field on Dec 30th, throw them into the middle of the field during half time and let the team do whatever they want.

You think?!

I wonder what 90,000+ FANS would have to say about their appearance:( - something tells me that wouldn't be pretty for National Television to see.

Just look at the stir over a dude on the field at the Bears game:D - still laughing about that one:laugh:

How do you confess to a crime and then plead not guilty?

It's like when my 4 yr old swears up and down that he didn't eat the cookie, while the crumbs are still falling out of his mouth.

Confessing doesn't mean much if it's not in court.

I told you that bumbling stumbling police detective came out with all the evidence and said up front that he didn't think they meant to hurt Sean Taylor. He can't take that back, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are forced to changed the charges to something like 2nd degree murder for only the shooter and the others either get small time or none at all. IMO.

I told you that bumbling stumbling police detective came out with all the evidence and said up front that he didn't think they meant to hurt Sean Taylor. He can't take that back, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are forced to changed the charges to something like 2nd degree murder for only the shooter and the others either get small time or none at all. IMO.

Whoa there, just because a detective made that comment means nothing.

And just because you did'nt intend to kill someone and they die in the commision of a felony does not let you off the hook for the charge of murder.

Don't fret, these guys are not going to skip through the system. Florida has very strick laws when guns are used, a miminum of 10 years just for having one at the scene of a crime(felony). Let alone someone was killed in their own home in what is a botched robbery, that turns into a home invasion when their are occupents there. There is some hope to separate the clients at this pointby the defense attorneys, but don't think that one of those guys are going to walk free and clear. The one who flips on the others will still serve time and with Taylors father being a chief of police in the area, the flipper won't go lightly. In fact I bet three of the four are heading for the long ride, with the shooter getting life without parole.

Whoa there, just because a detective made that comment means nothing.

And just because you did'nt intend to kill someone and they die in the commision of a felony does not let you off the hook for the charge of murder.

Don't fret, these guys are not going to skip through the system. Florida has very strick laws when guns are used, a miminum of 10 years just for having one at the scene of a crime(felony). Let alone someone was killed in their own home in what is a botched robbery, that turns into a home invasion when their are occupents there. There is some hope to separate the clients at this pointby the defense attorneys, but don't think that one of those guys are going to walk free and clear. The one who flips on the others will still serve time and with Taylors father being a chief of police in the area, the flipper won't go lightly. In fact I bet three of the four are heading for the long ride, with the shooter getting life without parole.

I hope your right. I just don't have much faith in the justice system.

Very interested to see how this will play out.

Can't help but think that if ST had been a lower profile victim, the court appointed attys. would not have a lengthy trial at the expense of tax payer dollars as an option after confessions from the accused.

But in a democracy, lawyers will take any case for which they think will bring a name to themselves, regardless of cost.

Archived