Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFCE Biggest Draft Busts

pointyfootball

Thought it'd be fun to rate the worst draft picks for each NFC East team from 1995-2005.

EDIT: Players listed at the beginning are EACH TEAM'S FIRST OVERALL PICK - not busts. My take on the "BUSTS" for the 10 year period are at the botto of the post. Obviously, Champ Bailey, Greg Ellis and WIlliam Thomas are great picks and not busts (for example). Sorry for confusion.

Year [Team's 1st player selected] (Selection # overall, Team)

95 Westbrook (4, WAS) Mamula (6, PHI) Wheatley (17, NYG) S.Williams (46, DAL)

96 C. Jones (5, NYG) Mayberry (25, PHI) A. Johnson (30, WAS) K. Pittman (37, DAL)

97 Hilliard (7, NYG) K. Lang (17, WAS) D.Lefleur (22, DAL) J. Harris (25, PHI)

98 Ellis (8, DAL) W. Thomas (11, PHI) S Williams (24, NYG) Alexander (48, WAS)

99 McNabb (2, PHI) Bailey (7, WAS) Petitgout (19, NYG) Ekuban (20, DAL)

00 Arrington (2, WAS) Simon (6, PHI) Dayne (11, NYG) Goodrich (49, DAL)

01 Gardner (15, WAS) Allen (22, NYG) Mitchell (25, PHI) Carter (55, DAL)

02 R.Williams (8, DAL) Shockey (14, NYG) Sheppard (26, PHI) Ramsey (32, WAS)

03 Newman (5, DAL) McDougle (15, PHI) Joseph (25, NYG) Jacobs (44, WAS)

04 Rivers/Manning (1, NYG) Taylor (5, WAS) Andrews (16, PHI) Jones (43, DAL)

05 Rogers (9, WAS) Ware (11, DAL) Patterson (31, PHI) Webster (43, NYG)

My take on worst three for each team:

PHI: Mamula, Harris, McDougle

DAL: K Pittman, LeFleur, Jones

NYG: Dayne, Jones, Manning (based on what they gave up)

WAS: Arrington, Westbrook, Gardner or Ramsey

Looking at players who were selected after some of these guys, it almost makes you want to cry. For example: Freddie Mitchell (25th) Reggie Wayne (30th), Chad Johnson (36th), Robert Ferguson (41st), Chris Chambers, (52nd), Steve Smith (74th). Argh.

Your take?

PF

Patterson is a bust? He leads the entire NFL in DTs with tackles. 61 total tackles and 3 sacks. Yeah, a real bust he sounds like. Dude, you're so weird. I extend myself to you via PM and you don't respond. Whats your problem?

EDIT: I read the thread wrong. That never happens. Anyways, still hurt by you shunning me. We're supposed to stick together here and even Westy loves me.

Im sorry, are you saying that LaVar was a bust? That dude ended Aikman's career. That alone should be worth him being a Redskin.

He went thru like 6 different D coordinators in his time here and he did everything that was told of him until GW got here. By then they were shady with money and he was disgruntled, but that man was a beast and played with all heart. I do NOT support that.

Even Patrick Ramsey got a pretty raw deal. His HC was Spurrier and we all know that guy had an ego that was so big that he couldnt see the big picture when it came to coaching in the NFL. When Ramsey actually got some time he shined. Dont forget he was taken out by that cheap shot that Chicago hit him with and then Brunell came in and took over. He lost his job because of injury. Thats a raw deal in my opinion.

Westbrook, F him.

Gardner had a few moments but yeah he never lived up to potential.

you all notice that the initial list is so we can see who was drafted.

His later list does not include Bailey or Patterson. It does include Lavar which I disagree with.

My list would go like this:

Was: Westbrook, Johnson, Jacobs (he is listed though not a first rounder)

I'd also have to state that Arrington was not a complete bust. In fact I believe had Schottenheimer remained our coach he would still be regarded as one of the better linebackers in the NFL. I think the constant cycle of coaches he went through hurt him as much as his injuries.

I think the Skins top bust was Rod Gardner. Mostly for the reason if you take a look at that draft as a whole. A ton of good WRs and good players were picked after him. It's like we reached into a thin field of busts and picked out the best of the bunch.

Patterson is a bust? He leads the entire NFL in DTs with tackles. 61 total tackles and 3 sacks. Yeah, a real bust he sounds like. Dude, you're so weird. I extend myself to you via PM and you don't respond. Whats your problem?

OK, first things first - I listed each team's 1st pick, good or bad.

Secondly, I've never gotten a pm before, and for some reason when you sent one, I clicked "OK" to accept/read it and then nothing happened.

No shunning. Your "**** the Cowboys" and WIPesque reactions post-games are classing, and enjoyable. All Eagle fans are my friends.

:cheers: Here's to ya!

PF

OK, first things first - I listed each team's 1st pick, good or bad.

Secondly, I've never gotten a pm before, and for some reason when you sent one, I clicked "OK" to accept/read it and then nothing happened.

No shunning. Your "**** the Cowboys" and WIPesque reactions post-games are classing, and enjoyable. All Eagle fans are my friends.

:cheers: Here's to ya!

PF

Just admit it. You think I'm the worst Eagle fan that ever laid foot on this planet. I deserve the title. In some forms, I might accept it.

Im sorry, are you saying that LaVar was a bust? That dude ended Aikman's career. That alone should be worth him being a Redskin.

He went thru like 6 different D coordinators in his time here and he did everything that was told of him until GW got here. By then they were shady with money and he was disgruntled, but that man was a beast and played with all heart. I do NOT support that.

Even Patrick Ramsey got a pretty raw deal. His HC was Spurrier and we all know that guy had an ego that was so big that he couldnt see the big picture when it came to coaching in the NFL. When Ramsey actually got some time he shined. Dont forget he was taken out by that cheap shot that Chicago hit him with and then Brunell came in and took over. He lost his job because of injury. Thats a raw deal in my opinion.

Westbrook, F him.

Gardner had a few moments but yeah he never lived up to potential.

I agree but how can anyone for get Health Shuler talking about being a big bust.

That's cool, I'm not an expert in all picks, hence the reason I asked for opinions. Personally, since he was the 2nd overall pick, playing a position that is normally NEVER picked that high, he was supposed to be the "next" LT. In looking back, since 1983, only 6 linebackers have been taken in the top-3 overall spots. If he had good coaching when he was young, it might have made a difference, but since he is out of the league totally after 6 years, with spotty performance, that's the reason I consider him a bust. And I'm a HUGE PSU fan.

Just admit it. You think I'm the worst Eagle fan that ever laid foot on this planet. I deserve the title. In some forms, I might accept it.

haha - no. Anyone who keeps following their team during the worst of times isn't a bad fan in my book. And I'm SURE you never chucked batteries. That's top-10% right there!

No no no no no.

Arrington did not turn into the force of nature we hoped for. But he did go to pro-bowls, and I believe if we had kept Marty around instead of making the Spurrier mistake, Lavar would have developed into a Derrick Thomas-type impact player.

Ramser and Gardner at least contributed.

The NUMBER ONE BUST has to be Andre Johsnon. We traded up for him and he could not play. Period. He simply did not have the ability to MOVE SIDEWAYS -- sort of a critical skill for a left tackle.

To this day I do not understand how that happened. We had to cut the guy before preseason ended, he was so bad.

Also Arrington was one of the first of a growing group of LBs with the size of DEs (Adalius Thomas, Ware, Merriman, etc.).

If you say Mitchell was, you have to say LA was in my opinion. A difference of 23 spots in the first round!

IF it wasn't for the infamous Ricky Williams trade between the Skins and Saints(which netted the former a bunch of draft picks), Lavar would likely have been drafted by the latter.

Probably didn't matter-b/c Lavar would have been a bust in NOLA anyways, so it all came out a wash.

Archived