Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Holy cow! Inside the NFL calls for Joe Gibbs head

nneece

i think its a mixture of both, but i think the play callingis the bigger issue

why is it we have problems getting down the field till we are behind with 4 minutes left, then we march, get in the redzone and take portis out, then run betts on the same play twice

I did not see that happen in either the Dallas game or the TB game. I can understand being hung up on this from NY game but I have not seen it happen since. Everything since then has looked like an execution issue to me.

Of course, I have not seen us having issues getting down the field before the final 4 minutes either, at least not when we don't turn the ball over.

Guest Rafterman
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, I disagree with alot of stuff HBO's Inside the NFL says. But, at the beginning of the show Marino, Costas, and Carter talk about Gibbs and how we have lost 5 games after being ahead at half time. They go on to say that the Redskins need to go in a new direction at head coach. Wow, tough critisism. Not that I entirely disagree, but...

And you are surprised how?

Of course they're calling for his head, losing 5 games after being ahead at the half is horrible coaching.

Gibbs needs to go, but Synder must realize that he needs to copy what the Kraft's and Rooney's of the league are doing. That is get a strong GM and build through the draft.

And you are surprised how?

Of course they're calling for his head, losing 5 games after being ahead at the half is horrible coaching.

Gibbs needs to go, but Synder must realize that he needs to copy what the Kraft's and Rooney's of the league are doing. That is get a strong GM and build through the draft.

what he said^^^^^^

Shock? No. They actually need to get in line,(right behind just a few fans from ES. :) ).

a few? last poll I posted showed a solid majority. MOST fans seem to think this should be Gibbs' last season.

For me it's simple, next year is the last year of his contract and he has not positioned this team to win a superbowl next season. There is no point in wasting another year. If his goal was to win a superbowl then he failed. Time to move on. I hope we've learned a lesson and hire a real GM and give him real power. Time to *build* a winner not try to buy one quickly.

Funny, I was thinking that it doesn't take a genius to see that the plays are there if only they players would execute better.
So, you are saying that JG selected players, coached by JG for FOUR YEARS, are unable to execute? Then why are they even on JG's team? I guess you are right, that wouldn't be the playcalling, that would be the COACHING. Except for the original player selection itself. That would be the GM/COACH.

As far as playcalling, did anybody else watch the reaction of Bugel and Williams during the Eagles game when JG went for the FG on 4th and 1? Even Joe's own lieutenants are disgusted with the playcalling. That was a telling glimpse of what his own people think of his current abilities. My 12 year old nephew asks me "why do we keep running the same play? It's not working!" I don't have the answer for him. What would you suggest I say?

So, you are saying that JG selected players, coached by JG for FOUR YEARS, are unable to execute? Then why are they even on JG's team? I guess you are right, that wouldn't be the playcalling, that would be the COACHING. Except for the original player selection itself. That would be the GM/COACH.

And I disagree. When I sit down and watch the games I see a team that comes out prepared for the opponent with a solid game plan. They are hardly ever surprised by anything the opponent does either offensively or defensively. Often they are leading at the half. These are not signs of a poorly coached team.

Gibbs (and by extension, his assistants) can't hang on to the ball for CP. They can't see the CB about to jump the WR's route for Campbell. They can't catch the ball for Moss or Cooley. They can't make the tackle or the INT for any of the guys on the defense. And it is not like we are talking about plays none of us have ever seen any of these guys make either. They are plays that most of these guys make most of the time.

No, what I see is just a case of letting off the concentration with a lead and then pushing a bit too hard when playing from behind. The coaches are putting these players in the position to make the play but the play itself is up to the player.

How come when we are loosing it is all on Gibbs, when we are winning it is down to Saunders play calling .

Blown second half leads are indicative of players taking their foot off the throttle how many drives have been cut short by an untimely turnover, or miscommunication . IF Gibbs is forced out by the baying hyenas that comprise of the press and so called fans then we will be put back 5 years and that is dumb .

However if the team sucks and that is a function of the the fans ... the fans get the team they deserve .... What disappoints me is in the week in which the team has suffered one of its biggest tragedies in its 75 year history instead of getting behind the team and showing their support the fans are booing through th minutes silence and calling for the break up of the team ....

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this, I disagree with alot of stuff HBO's Inside the NFL says. But, at the beginning of the show Marino, Costas, and Carter talk about Gibbs and how we have lost 5 games after being ahead at half time. They go on to say that the Redskins need to go in a new direction at head coach. Wow, tough critisism. Not that I entirely disagree, but...

All this crap about Gibbs bone headed move calling two time outs.

How many of you really believe that this is the reason they lost the game. It seems to me somebody gave up a long pass to set up the field goal attemp in the first place. Since he made the first field goal when the first time out was called he probably would of made the other one also.

YES it was a bone headed move. The game should of never been that close and the bills should not have been in field goal range.

Gibbs (and by extension, his assistants) can't hang on to the ball for CP. They can't see the CB about to jump the WR's route for Campbell. They can't catch the ball for Moss or Cooley. They can't make the tackle or the INT for any of the guys on the defense. And it is not like we are talking about plays none of us have ever seen any of these guys make either. They are plays that most of these guys make most of the time.

Then why do we pay so much money to get these guys. We have the same resources for talent as every other team. We don't have a coach that picks "character" over talent do we? Oh, yeah. Nevermind. Again, where is the blame for failure to execute? And then, we pay even higher salaries to guys who cannot even manage to see the field, much less contribute. What do you think that does to a guys morale, watching somebody paid 5 times as much as you do nothing, not even practice, while you are on the field giving your all. I'm sure that gets old.

Joe is paid 5 million a year, and he does not know about a simple rule change made YEARS ago? Does he watch tape? Didn't he know that EVERY other team ices the kicker on EVERY important FG, but NO other team does it twice? Could a HOF coach be that stupid? No, he's just too old. He is not the driven, 85 hour a week man that he used to be. He has evolved into the nice grandpa guy. Happens to the best of us. But it doesn't instill the players to rally behind the JG flag. They don't know who Joe was, they were babies. They have only heard.

I wondered about JG watching our offense pass for 50 yards during the playoff game, but 2005 was a definite overall team improvement from the previous year and that rally to the playoffs was inspiring. It has been pretty much downhill since then. We are an old, injury prone team that is going further away from winning every year.

If this were the JG one era, I would bide my time and wait even longer for a rebound, but I believe the difference between JGI and JGII is his age. Sadly, we all reach a point in life where we never get sharper, faster, stronger. All of us. I'm not saying he is a doddering old geezer. NFL coaching is a hugely demanding job even for a young man. So is being a GM. And team president too, whatever that is. Add to all these functions the catch up time needed for doing each of the jobs when you have been out of the field entirely for a dozen years. It is a very different industry. Who ever did that? And at his age?

Joe knew he was declining a couple years back. Why on earth do you think he hired Saunders for 2 mil a year? But something happened, and Joe either lost faith in Al or decided he was unhappy with his self-appointed role, so now in the red zone, Joe yanks the wheel and puts us on the rocks every time. Almost like he is doing it on purpose. But it's not on purpose. Joe is just slowing down a little. It's that time. And, it is a one way road. We need a new direction, and a talented GM is probably the best way to find it.

there is no doubt we need a new coach. gibbs is too lenient with the players and our team as a whole has no discipline. an evident example of this (although this is a little out of left field) is something very basic i noticed when i attended the giants game. that is during the national anthem the giants were all lined up perfectly on the sidelines displaying perfect order because coughlin has his guys respect and they know if they dont show discipline, even when it comes to lining up for the national anthem, there will be consequences. On the other hand our players were free to run around and do whatever the hell they wanted, like always. We need to get a no BS coach that will demand a lot out of his players like bill cowher. gibbs is the man but right now hes not the man for the job.

a few? last poll I posted showed a solid majority. MOST fans seem to think this should be Gibbs' last season.

For me it's simple, next year is the last year of his contract and he has not positioned this team to win a superbowl next season. There is no point in wasting another year. If his goal was to win a superbowl then he failed. Time to move on. I hope we've learned a lesson and hire a real GM and give him real power. Time to *build* a winner not try to buy one quickly.

I think PCS was being sarcastic when he referred to "just a few." The majority on this board would agree with the media critics who think it's time for Joe to leave the sidelines.

I just want to see him treated fairly by the media and fans.

I've been defending Joe Gibbs since he came back. But last week's decision to call 2 timeouts in a row was the straw that broke the camel's back imo. I love Joe Gibbs, but he should know the rules. Not only did he play NOT to lose, but he put the opponent's kicker in a better position to WIN the game.

Sigh. Yep. A waste of perfectly good sarcasm,(Don't look at me though. I'm not a member of that group).

Gibbs has to go...this team is years away again.

We're gonna in to some very crucial personel decisions this offseason b/c of the cap-and the advancing age of over half the roster. Better to make those decisions with a younger coach who will be here mutliple years.

Gibbs-thanks for all the memories, but do the right thing and step aside.

How come when we are loosing it is all on Gibbs, when we are winning it is down to Saunders play calling .

Blown second half leads are indicative of players taking their foot off the throttle how many drives have been cut short by an untimely turnover, or miscommunication . IF Gibbs is forced out by the baying hyenas that comprise of the press and so called fans then we will be put back 5 years and that is dumb .

However if the team sucks and that is a function of the the fans ... the fans get the team they deserve .... What disappoints me is in the week in which the team has suffered one of its biggest tragedies in its 75 year history instead of getting behind the team and showing their support the fans are booing through th minutes silence and calling for the break up of the team ....

:applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers:

I think it's time for a change.. it doesnt take a genius to see that our coaches have been blowing it for us

Go on believing that coaching is the problem.

If you have a team that has to depend on coaching decisions to save their ass every game, you're already in bigger trouble than you know.

Gibbs is not any worse at managing a game than any other coach. Look at the Raven's timeout, and Seattle going on 4th instead of kicking.

The only reason everyone's so shrill about Gibbs now is because his team put him in those ridiculous situations far too many times this season.

Do you really believe that if the team was winning by 14 every game, Gibbs' game management would even be being discussed?!

Problem is whenever people repeat something enough, others pick it up, parrot it, and before you know it, you have a feeding frenzy on your hands.

So no, it doesn't take a genius to see the coaches have been blowing it...

...a genius would know better.

Archived