Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis limited for Thursday night vs Chi?

Zzj

Fantastic. So lets say Betts sucks. Which you know he doesn't, but let's say he does.

It doesn't matter what we pay Portis....he obviously can't get anything done either, is often injured, and likes to fumble and drop passes.

Save the 8 million and buy a line......then, according to many here, any loser can run through huge holes.

It isn't brain surgery........take the money saved on Portis.....and get a line.

:applause:

Betts is a decent back, nothing more. He is most similar to Lamont Jordan. Played well in back up one year, signed a new contract, nothing special ever again.

Portis hasn't been injured this year, and when talking about "often injured," betts has only had one healthy year since he's been here. And don't even compare fumblitis between betts and portis. Portis is the number 8 back in the league in rushing, so clearly he is getting stuff done.

you can't just save 8 million...there is something called a sallery cap. you also can't just buy a line. a line takes time to gel and become established, we have that now, but unfortunately we've been hit by injuries.

this isn't fast food. you don't just drive up to a window and say "give me a line, a franchise qb, a couple of wide outs and a dominant running back." we've tried that in the past...it didn't work then it won't work now.

what we need, is to trade betts, get a 4th or 5th for him, draft some young o and d line men, bring mason up cheap to replace betts.

by the way, looks like you are gonna get smoked in that sig bet.

Anyone with a brain can see Portis is doing pretty damn good considering the non-existent running lanes most of the times he gets the ball handed to him. He is also a great blocker and he still has a burst Betts could only hope to have. While Portis gets 2 or 3 yards on a busted play, Betts simply goes down.

This is just ridiculous talk anyway. We need Portis and I am sure they will restructure his contract anyway. Get over it. With a healthy line, Portis runs for 1,400 - 1,500 yards.

The stupidity here never ceases to amaze me. I swear you must be Gibbs.

We run a power game.....Portis is not a power runner. He gets injured.

So....you have two choices: Either change to a non-power running game, or you need a different back.

It really isn't that difficult to see.

You and Gibbs would likely keep Portis at 8 mill next year, not draft a lineman, pray that none of the old guys up front gets injured......and when they do, we are in this same crap situation again.

Portis does NOT WORK in this power running game. We don't need to waste $8 million. We need a line....and a POWER running back.

That's nuts. Betts played a huge roll for us last year. Keep the man, and give him the ball. He seems more of a power runner compared to Portis.

betts played the role of a running back behind a dominant offensive line last year. he also served as a great fumbler in that year and he loved to avoid the endzone. he doesn't run harder than portis and he still hasn't learned how to block.

he is an adequate back up running back and i like and appreciate that. but he will be better served to this team as trade bait then starting anywhere.

Why in the world would any of you want to trade Portis? He is 8th in the league in rushing with 920 yards and 3.9 average per carry. One good game and he could jump to front of the pack. If our run game can play like they did against the Jets he will be top in the league ... or if he just goes somewhere near 150

Portis is a beast! The right side of the o-line is garbage. All you Portis haters are suspect fans.:gaintsuck

You're totally right. He is awesome. Aside from being injured most of last year, and most of this year.....he is a great role model for the new kids coming to the team.

"Hey, look at me....I am too good to practice or play preseason games."

And people wonder why they don't see the fire on this Skins team???

Let's give him a raise....certainly he is worth $15 million next year for half a season.

Fantastic idea.

he also served as a great fumbler in that year and he loved to avoid the endzone. he doesn't run harder than portis and he still hasn't learned how to block.

he is an adequate back up running back and i like and appreciate that. but he will be better served to this team as trade bait then starting anywhere.

Ok let's address this fumble issue. Obviously no one has looked at their stats. The fumble card is a non-issue in comparing them. Portis and Betts have virtually identical fumble percentages and YPC:

Portis 1,623 carries 21 fumbles 4.5 YPC 21fum/1623car = 0.013*100= 1.3%

Betts 633 carries 12 fumbles 4.2 YPC 12fum/633car = 0.018*100= 1.8%

Receiving:

Portis 8.0 YPC

Betts 9.1 YPC

Who is better?

Portis = Better blocker and overall speed. Can reverse field

Betts = Powerful runner, one cut player, better receiver

Ultimately, Portis and Betts are not identical backs. However, Betts only costs 13 million versus Portis' 59.5 million plus his 1 million dollar bonus due next year. I honestly think that if Portis takes a pay cut then we should all chill. Otherwise, the Skins may need to look for trade value for PORTIS. Still keep Betts as a change of pace back.

Portis is nothing special anymore. Problem is that there's no way on God's green Earth that anyone would trade for Portis. His contract is HUGE and nobody is going to pay that for him.

Now if Portis would restructure for his new team, maybe... but we're not going to get very much in a trade for him. What did Randy Moss bring in a trade? A fourth rounder?

Nope, we won't get much for him.

I doubt that Portis would restructure anyway, which would make him our's until we cut him. We can't cut him because of what that would do to our already in shambles salary cap.

The Portis for Bailey and a second trade was just awful... and that contract we gave Clinton was insane. :doh:

Ok let's address this fumble issue. Obviously no one has looked at their stats. The fumble card is a non-issue in comparing them. Portis and Betts have virtually identical fumble percentages and YPC:

Portis 1,623 carries 21 fumbles 4.5 YPC 21fum/1623car = 0.013*100= 1.3%

Betts 633 carries 12 fumbles 4.2 YPC 12fum/633car = 0.018*100= 1.8%

Receiving:

Portis 8.0 YPC

Betts 9.1 YPC

Who is better?

Portis = Better blocker and overall speed. Can reverse field

Betts = Powerful runner, one cut player, better receiver

Ultimately, Portis and Betts are not identical backs. However, Betts only costs 13 million versus Portis' 59.5 million plus his 1 million dollar bonus due next year. I honestly think that if Portis takes a pay cut then we should all chill. Otherwise, the Skins may need to look for trade value for PORTIS. Still keep Betts as a change of pace back.

Great Post. However, you are only going to hear crickets in response from those who thought Betts was a huge fumbler.

*chirp chirp*

Portis is solid, behind that OLine last year he would have been close to 1500 yards easy.

He is not a power running back though ... BUT we are not a smash mouth football team. Al Saunders does not run a smash mouth offense. WTF does that mean anyway? We are a run, run, pass, punt team. We change our offensive philosophy every game. We should be able to use these unique skills sets of our WR's and RB's in certain situations. Unfortunately for us, we always choose the wrong skill to try to use at the wrong time.

Betts is solid too, but Portis needs to restructure, if he cares about this team and wants to stay he will. If he refuses, then I would have no regrets cutting him, because that would show he is not concerned about winning with this team (that gave him a ridiculous amount of money in the first place) more than he is about getting his. I understand it is a business, but players who are loyal with and stay with their team are rewarded by things that do not necessarily have a monetary value associated with them.

Portis could very easily restructure to provide cap relief, and finish out his career as a Redskin, whether his role as the center of the offense diminishes or not ... and the fans and people of DC will embrace him and he will be a legend in the most important city in the world.

If he wants to approach his ridiculous salary as merely a "business decision" ... then he should expect to be treated as nothing more than a business commodity that is not providing value to our bottom line, and should be cut/traded.

That being said Portis is one of my favorite players and I think he lays it all out on the field and has never half-*****ed it. he plays with great emotion and is one tough SOB. I will wait and reserve my judgments of him as a player and a teammate and a Redskins when that time comes. Until then he my MAN!

Portis is solid, behind that OLine last year he would have been close to 1500 yards easy.

He is not a power running back though ... BUT we are not a smash mouth football team. Al Saunders does not run a smash mouth offense. WTF does that mean anyway? We are a run, run, pass, punt team. We change our offensive philosophy every game. We should be able to use these unique skills sets of our WR's and RB's in certain situations. Unfortunately for us, we always choose the wrong skill to try to use at the wrong time.

Betts is solid too, but Portis needs to restructure, if he cares about this team and wants to stay he will. If he refuses, then I would have no regrets cutting him, because that would show he is not concerned about winning with this team (that gave him a ridiculous amount of money in the first place) more than he is about getting his. I understand it is a business, but players who are loyal with and stay with their team are rewarded by things that do not necessarily have a monetary value associated with them.

Portis could very easily restructure to provide cap relief, and finish out his career as a Redskin, whether his role as the center of the offense diminishes or not ... and the fans and people of DC will embrace him and he will be a legend in the most important city in the world.

If he wants to approach his ridiculous salary as merely a "business decision" ... then he should expect to be treated as nothing more than a business commodity that is not providing value to our bottom line, and should be cut/traded.

That being said Portis is one of my favorite players and I think he lays it all out on the field and has never half-*****ed it. he plays with great emotion and is one tough SOB. I will wait and reserve my judgments of him as a player and a teammate and a Redskins when that time comes. Until then he my MAN!

The best post in the thread. CP will restructure because he likes being a Redskin.

betts played the role of a running back behind a dominant offensive line last year. he also served as a great fumbler in that year and he loved to avoid the endzone. he doesn't run harder than portis and he still hasn't learned how to block.

Has Portis fumbled the ball at all this year? Cuz' he never coughs it up ...

oh, wait ... :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Archived