Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis limited for Thursday night vs Chi?

Zzj

dude, springs has been in and out of every game. he doesnt play nearly as much as the other corners because theyre so worried about him getting hurt. his durability was obviously an issue because he doesnt play nearly as much as a #1 corner should be.

if he was playing fulltime as a #1 corner and not in spot duty as nickel or #1 for some down, he'd have been injured long ago.

and isnt he having back problems right now?

In four seasons he's missed 9 games. That's roughly 85% of the time he's been on the field. He's played in more games over that four year stretch than every single other player who's been on the team except for Chris Cooley. And most amazing, during the twilight years of his career. But certainly you're right. He's not durable at all.

or we can get rid of gibbs, and stop pretending its 1984?

Amen. But Gibbs has to go for that to happen.

If Gibbs stays.....and we don't draft an offensive lineman in the first two rounds....we will be 6-10 again next season with Portis doing what he is right now.

It sucks.....and it is frustrating as hell....but it is the truth.

i agree, his attitude is lame, but you cant say hes been injured this year. hes averaging about 20 carries a game. kinda hard to say hes been injured when hes out there all game and gives it his all.

i do finally agree with you, im not sure with the system we run and portis' style that hes worth 8 million, but you just dont like the guy flat out so its not worth arguing.

It's not that I am a Portis hater......I just want to win football games.

And it isn't that I am a Betts lover, I love any player that can come in, and produce at the same or slightly lower level as a current player, at 1/5th of the cost.

Call me someone that likes to root for the underdog.....or call me someone that just wants a great team.

If someone can come in and do nearly what Betts does....for 20% of what Betts gets paid.......put him on the field. I will be behind that player 1000%.

I would rather take the huge money spent on Portis.......and sign several "really good" linemen to block for whoever is in the backfield.

No names are fine.......just like in Gibbs 1, and like the Patriots the last four years.

We need a system......one that we can plug players into, and they can excel.

We need a winning team.

:cheers:

portis evaded, broke, and didn't go down on first contact in the bills game and the tampa game. when did betts break a tackle? i'd be shocked if you can point out 3 broken tackles by betts this year. the guy is not a power back like every body wants to claim. dude goes down at the first hit every time he gets hit. portis is also the 8th leading back in the NFL. where is betts on that list?

portis is also putting up his numbers running against constant 7 and 8 man fronts. did you see how stacked the box was against the bills? jesus people, for the 8 millionth time, start opening your eyes when you watch the games.

ON what play in the Bills game? Name it...I was at the Bills game...Portis didn't break a single tackle, make anybody miss, or evade any tacklers...The yards he got were b/c their was a hole for him to run through...In the 4th quarter against TB Betts came into the game and made 3-4 good runs and caught like 2-3 passes were he did all three things on the last 2 drives of the game w/the same oline that was blocking for Portis...

It's not about being a power back it's about being an NFL RB...**** even the Bills RB Fred Jackson wasn't going down on first contact and would make people miss in space...

Of course Betts numbers don't stack up to Portis' Betts doesn't even get carries anymore so how would they...If you ask the OC which back he would rather have in their I bet it would Betts...Portis is Gibbs' guy and that much has been made known...

In Betts' extended action last yr wasn't he running against 8 men in the box?

Sure I saw how stacked the box was against the Bills...Against 8 in the box the oline and other backs can only block 7 so that leaves one man for the RB to beat...Good backs and good RB's consistantly win in that match-up...I'm not saying Betts would do better or is better, but I do think he fits what we do on offense better than Portis and he is a more instinctive runner than Portis...I don't think the answer at RB for this team is on the active roster right now...

More and more coaches are believing that RB is a disposable postion.

Plug anyone in and they can run.

Look at Denver

Look at Tampa bay

Look at Buffalo

And Green Bay

New York Giants

Chicago

Kansas City

All those teams have RB's that they never really intended to start.

5% of runnning backs have that "IT". The LT it. The Westbrook it.

The rest are just good athletes.

true nuf dawg. good point. i never want to sign another running back for big money again. its just retarded. a runningback is only as good as the holes the o line makes. other than broken tackles and speed

The truth is that if we have a healthy O-Line, Portis is going to be exactly what we need and very capable of 1,500 yards. If our O-Line could ever get to the second level, Portis would break some long runs. The dude plays his heart out and leaves it on the field. The logic that he is injury-prone due to last year's happenings or that he is getting old (he's still years away from 30 for crying out loud) are ridiculous. I love Betts as a change-of-pace guy but he is no Portis. I believe there will be restructuring going on with Portis' salary as well. We go through this every year with different players. The bigger issue is to stop giving too much money to guys like Archuleta, Lloyd and Randle El before seeing them produce.

One other side note to the group who thinks we need to go out and get Michael Turner, it's not going to happen. I live here in SD and see him play and think he is a nice back. But he has not shown he can be a 25-carry type of guy and do us much better than what we already have here.

I agree we must draft a few lineman soon because these of the age of our starters, however I still think the first 2 rounds we must address a D-Lineman and a big WR. But the strategy going forward needs to be keeping all our draft picks and doing a better job in the later rounds of getting quality players.

ON what play in the Bills game? Name it...I was at the Bills game...Portis didn't break a single tackle, make anybody miss, or evade any tacklers...The yards he got were b/c their was a hole for him to run through...In the 4th quarter against TB Betts came into the game and made 3-4 good runs and caught like 2-3 passes were he did all three things on the last 2 drives of the game w/the same oline that was blocking for Portis...

It's not about being a power back it's about being an NFL RB...**** even the Bills RB Fred Jackson wasn't going down on first contact and would make people miss in space...

Of course Betts numbers don't stack up to Portis' Betts doesn't even get carries anymore so how would they...If you ask the OC which back he would rather have in their I bet it would Betts...Portis is Gibbs' guy and that much has been made known...

In Betts' extended action last yr wasn't he running against 8 men in the box?

Sure I saw how stacked the box was against the Bills...Against 8 in the box the oline and other backs can only block 7 so that leaves one man for the RB to beat...Good backs and good RB's consistantly win in that match-up...I'm not saying Betts would do better or is better, but I do think he fits what we do on offense better than Portis and he is a more instinctive runner than Portis...I don't think the answer at RB for this team is on the active roster right now...

Yeah because there were 2 guys there to meet Portis as soon as he got the ball every time. If you don't believe Betts goes down easier than Clinton, you haven't been watching the games this year.

And in regards to Betts extended playing time last year, I'm pretty sure the O-Line was in much better shape. I'm excited to see what happens against the Bears should Randy Thomas be able to go.

Betts did have a few nice plays in the TB game but we were also playing from behind and their defense was not as aggressive up front.

Archived