Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis limited for Thursday night vs Chi?

Zzj

I'm not a Portis supporter nor am I a hater...But I'm honest, so someone please tell me when is the last time you've seen Portis break a tackle? The last time he made someone miss in space? Or the last time he didn't go down on first contact? I've seen Betts do all as recently as the TB game...It seems all Portis does now is run into the back of the OL and fall or get the handoff and already be falling before he gets any contact...Portis has alot of heart and he blocks his ass off and is definately a better goal-line back then Betts but I'm beginning to agree with some of the outside media that Portis is nothing special...He was known as a breakaway back before coming to DC but his longest run all season is like 20 yds and he hasn't had but one long run as a Redskin...

I would not be adverse at all if this off-season we unload Portis and either draft a RB, give Mason a chance or go after Michael Turner in FA...I know this won't happen but I wouldn't be adverse to this at all...

Has Portis fumbled the ball at all this year? Cuz' he never coughs it up ...

oh, wait ... :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

in comparison to when betts fumbles? there is a huge difference. don't bring stats at me. they are meaningless. look at how the game is played on the field. this comparison is so stupid and played out. betts is nowhere near the back portis is. that's why betts sits on the bench and spells portis.

in comparison to when betts fumbles? there is a huge difference. don't bring stats at me. they are meaningless. look at how the game is played on the field. this comparison is so stupid and played out. betts is nowhere near the back portis is. that's why betts sits on the bench and spells portis.

When you make a comment about who starts and who sits, just always remember to factor in the "Who brought 'em here Dynamic."

Betts: Drafted before Gibbs.

Portis: Brought here BY Gibbs

Just sayin.........

Betts: resigned by Gibbs.

Betts: resigned by Gibbs in his current role of backup.

Honestly, don't think for a minute that ego's aren't involved here.

I was NEVER a Patrick Ramsey supporter, but he clearly had the shortest leash in the Western Hemisphere other than Doug Christie.

Gibbs EAGERLY put HIS guy back in the lineup when Ramsey faltered. I am a HUGE Campbell fan, but when he has faltered and fumbled this season, Gibbs has stuck with him.

When Rypien faltered and fumbled Gibbs benched him. Who drafted Rypien? Bobby Beatherd. Who drafted Campbell? Gibbs.

He's been getting over an injury for three years. That means you're getting old.

Or it means you are on the downside skill wise. Let's face it folks, this is football not baseball. Very few people playing for several years. Very few people can take running into a brick wall every year.

I'm not a Portis supporter nor am I a hater...But I'm honest, so someone please tell me when is the last time you've seen Portis break a tackle? The last time he made someone miss in space? Or the last time he didn't go down on first contact? I've seen Betts do all as recently as the TB game...It seems all Portis does now is run into the back of the OL and fall or get the handoff and already be falling before he gets any contact...Portis has alot of heart and he blocks his ass off and is definately a better goal-line back then Betts but I'm beginning to agree with some of the outside media that Portis is nothing special...He was known as a breakaway back before coming to DC but his longest run all season is like 20 yds and he hasn't had but one long run as a Redskin...

I would not be adverse at all if this off-season we unload Portis and either draft a RB, give Mason a chance or go after Michael Turner in FA...I know this won't happen but I wouldn't be adverse to this at all...

My thoughts exactly.

Portis does all the things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Betts is not a very good blocker in the passing game. Portis is probably the best blocking halfback in the league. And that's not an exaggeration.

I'm glad that Randy Thomas is back, it'll be interesting to see how Portis does with our best run blocker back in the line up.

Portis does all the things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Betts is not a very good blocker in the passing game. Portis is probably the best blocking halfback in the league. And that's not an exaggeration.

I'm glad that Randy Thomas is back, it'll be interesting to see how Portis does with our best run blocker back in the line up.

I agree 100%. He's the best blocking tailback I've seen since Walter Payton. Betts is a far cry in this regard.

The stupidity here never ceases to amaze me. I swear you must be Gibbs.

We run a power game.....Portis is not a power runner. He gets injured.

So....you have two choices: Either change to a non-power running game, or you need a different back.

It really isn't that difficult to see.

You and Gibbs would likely keep Portis at 8 mill next year, not draft a lineman, pray that none of the old guys up front gets injured......and when they do, we are in this same crap situation again.

Portis does NOT WORK in this power running game. We don't need to waste $8 million. We need a line....and a POWER running back.

or we can get rid of gibbs, and stop pretending its 1984?

Betts: resigned by Gibbs in his current role of backup.

Honestly, don't think for a minute that ego's aren't involved here.

I was NEVER a Patrick Ramsey supporter, but he clearly had the shortest leash in the Western Hemisphere other than Doug Christie.

Gibbs EAGERLY put HIS guy back in the lineup when Ramsey faltered. I am a HUGE Campbell fan, but when he has faltered and fumbled this season, Gibbs has stuck with him.

When Rypien faltered and fumbled Gibbs benched him. Who drafted Rypien? Bobby Beatherd. Who drafted Campbell? Gibbs.

how's ramsey doing now sitting on the bench for yet another team? hmm...think maybe gibbs was right about that one? by the way...we made the playoffs the years "put his guy back in the lineup." you are right though, gibbs did resign betts to be a back up, that's because that's what betts is. what has he done to prove any different?

portis evaded, broke, and didn't go down on first contact in the bills game and the tampa game. when did betts break a tackle? i'd be shocked if you can point out 3 broken tackles by betts this year. the guy is not a power back like every body wants to claim. dude goes down at the first hit every time he gets hit. portis is also the 8th leading back in the NFL. where is betts on that list?

portis is also putting up his numbers running against constant 7 and 8 man fronts. did you see how stacked the box was against the bills? jesus people, for the 8 millionth time, start opening your eyes when you watch the games.

You're totally right. He is awesome. Aside from being injured most of last year, and most of this year.....he is a great role model for the new kids coming to the team.

"Hey, look at me....I am too good to practice or play preseason games."

And people wonder why they don't see the fire on this Skins team???

Let's give him a raise....certainly he is worth $15 million next year for half a season.

Fantastic idea.

i agree, his attitude is lame, but you cant say hes been injured this year. hes averaging about 20 carries a game. kinda hard to say hes been injured when hes out there all game and gives it his all.

i do finally agree with you, im not sure with the system we run and portis' style that hes worth 8 million, but you just dont like the guy flat out so its not worth arguing.

Portis starts for the same reason that Scott Brunell started way too long.

Because we don't want to look stupid yet again for bad trades/signings of the past. And because Portis tries to "say" the right things to Gibbs to make it look like he is an "outstanding team player that fights his guts out."

What do you think the undefeated Patriots would do to Portis at the end of this season, if he was on their roster?

Pay him $8 million to stay next season?

:laugh:

i agree, his attitude is lame, but you cant say hes been injured this year. hes averaging about 20 carries a game. kinda hard to say hes been injured when hes out there all game and gives it his all.

i do finally agree with you, im not sure with the system we run and portis' style that hes worth 8 million, but you just dont like the guy flat out so its not worth arguing.

BLC, not to personally call you out or anything, but I remember you and I having a spirited debate about Shawn Springs' durability going in to this season. Clearly, he's been the most reliable in terms of health out of the top three CB's, all the while being the oldest.

As for the Portis vs. Betts argument, I believe you have finally located your biological clone in "Nace". Its like I'm having the same argument with you all over again. Only, its not YOU.

how's ramsey doing now sitting on the bench for yet another team? hmm...think maybe gibbs was right about that one? by the way...we made the playoffs the years "put his guy back in the lineup." you are right though, gibbs did resign betts to be a back up, that's because that's what betts is. what has he done to prove any different?

You missed my point. Believe me, I was never a Ramsey supporter and Gibbs absolutely made the right call there, but one cannot ignore the quick trigger he had on Ramsey (after an entire training camp as the so-called 1st string). Campbell would have NEVER been pulled after one half. Never.

BLC, not to personally call you out or anything, but I remember you and I having a spirited debate about Shawn Springs' durability going in to this season. Clearly, he's been the most reliable in terms of health out of the top three CB's, all the while being the oldest.

As for the Portis vs. Betts argument, I believe you have finally located your biological clone in "Nace". Its like I'm having the same argument with you all over again. Only, its not YOU.

dude, springs has been in and out of every game. he doesnt play nearly as much as the other corners because theyre so worried about him getting hurt. his durability was obviously an issue because he doesnt play nearly as much as a #1 corner should be.

if he was playing fulltime as a #1 corner and not in spot duty as nickel or #1 for some down, he'd have been injured long ago.

and isnt he having back problems right now?

all the people saying portis is getting old.... i have to disagree. i just think he is getting over an injury, and is looking pretty good now. now he just needs someone to open up a hole he can run through

I agree totally. Once the regular season starts.....he will be fully recovered, and will run like Forrest Gump over all the teams we face.

Just can't wait for the regular season to start.

:applause:

He's been getting over an injury for three years. That means you're getting old.

3 years???

CP is getting back to being the back we know and need. if we had our real oline, CP would be killing the stat sheet right now. once i see our oline moving the line of scrimmage and CP NOT being able to move the ball, THEN i will jump on this "CP IS PAST HIS PRIME" bandwagon

until then.... KEEP #26 IN B&G!

Archived