Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN's SonJay Gupta... Idiot...

JMS

Man does SonJay Gupta bumms me out. What an idiot..

Just saw a "news report"

"Dangerous chemical DHMO in baby formula, leading lab says yes... EPA says No... you decide"? :doh:

Like that's news. What an idiot... How about being a little bit informative rather than stirring up needless fear... even better, how about being a little informative and stirring up needed fear, if necessary...

The man is a medical doctor.. don't you think he could give an informed opinion on the subject. or even minimally find an independent expert and seek out his opinion.

I could be better informed by eating earth worms and absorbing their knowledge by osmosis....

That's not Gupta. That's CNN.

The 24 hour news channels have really gone south in recent years.

I wonder what has changed ... the only thing I can think of is the increased competition. Clearly, capitalism always makes things better more profitable.

That's not Gupta. That's CNN.

The 24 hour news channels have really gone south in recent years.

I disagree with that. Ever since Sonjay called out Michael Moore on his health care movie. Then Moore and Gupta appear on Larry king together, and Sonjay starts out the "debate" with admitting he was basically wrong on several important issues; and that Moore wasn't.

Or when Gupta was in Iraq during the war. He's on a hospital ship doing a bit. A seriously injured soldier comes in. They don't have a neurosurgeon so they enlist Sonjay to do the surgery. Dude dies, not sonjay's fault or anything but I didn't like the way he advertised (1) he was a neurosurgeon.. (2) they enlisted him to operate.. (3) Oh and by the way.. the dude died....

Gupta bugs the snot out of me. I think he's arrogant, sloppy, and a poor reporter. He's on auto pilot. He's geared to go for the non controversial angle even if that isn't reality.

anyway just my opinion...

This is what comes of oversubscribing to the "we'll give you every side of the story, no matter how insane, and YOU DECIDE!!!!" philosophy.

exactly right.... They want to give you both sides.. The right side and the wrong side and they want to represent both evenly.... I can see that approach for political debates or disagreements between the party.. But dangerous chemicals in baby formulas?

I wonder what has changed ... the only thing I can think of is the increased competition. Clearly, capitalism always makes things better more profitable.

No... Guys like Ted Turner got out of the business and have been replaced by companies like Disney and Time Warner which just want to squeeze everypenny out of it. So what happens...

1. They've figured out that when a tradgedy happens it's cheaper to fly a few reporters down there and host the show from there.
  2. It's cheaper to bring a talking head into the studio to talk about events; than it is to pay reporters to go out and report on events.
  3. They hire anchors based on looks and the demographic they attact rather than experience.
  4. They allow these morron anchors to also be news editors because it sounds good on their resumes.

It's all about the bottom line. As soon as the news shows were put under the entertainment divisions the end was always near.

Ever since Fox began trouncing the other news channels in the ratings, news has gotten more and more trashy.

I don't think trashy is the right word. They've just accepted the stupid notion that every story should have two sides and that there is no such thing as truth. They are afraid of being labeled as bias.

I don't think trashy is the right word. They've just accepted the stupid notion that every story should have two sides and that there is no such thing as truth. They are afraid of being labeled as bias.

I think they've determined it's profitable and non controversial to give two sides to every story. Look at Crossfire.. For the price of two talking heads you fill up 15 hours of programming a week. One talking head will be "conservative" one talking head will be "liberal", no matter how absurd their positions become. It wasn't until John Steward exposed the absurdity of the show that CNN was forced to take it off the air. Crossfire was on CNN for a decade, and on radio with Buchannon for two decades before that.

It's all about cost to air time ratio. News and information has nothing to do with it.

Trashy is the exact word for it. Trash sells. They've basically taken shows like Jerry Springy, Maury Povich, Ricki Lake, and turned them into "news" broadcasts.

When you start having wall-to-wall coverage of the death of Anna Nicole Smith, trashy is the only word that can describe it. Not to mention the kind of fear mongering that JMS was talking about: "A common household item your child may use every day, in fact, might be using at this very instant, may make their bowels explode. Find out what it is tonight at 11."

Though you do have a point about how "truth" gets lost in the din of spin. "Group A claims the sky is blue, but Group B says otherwise. We're not sure what is true so our resident brash, obnoxious, ignorant commentator has more on the story."

"Group A claims the sky is blue, but Group B says otherwise. We're not sure what is true so our resident brash, obnoxious, ignorant commentator has more on the story."

Commonality with our tribe. :)

Except for the "we're not sure " part.

:laugh:

Archived