Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Debate Series: Who's Faster Darrell Green or Devin Hester?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

in a flat out foot race? i gotta say DG. i think he still ran a 4.3 or 4.2 a couple of years ago when he was in the fastest man competition. i think rossum won it, but DG was a half step behind and he was like 43 or 44 at the time. so i gotta say DG in his prime was faster than hester. like C. Taylor said, is he still faster would be a legitimate question.

I was gonna mention this. They invited him back to the contest and at around 43 or 44 years of age, he finished either 3rd or 4th in the entire competition. Green in his prime would smoke hester by 2 steps.

yeah, i remember seein that somewhere too. what makes it even crazier is that bo jackson was 221 at the combine, and around 230 in the nfl. 230 and runnin a 4.18? if he stays healthy we might be talkin about him as the all time rushing leader.

Yeah Bo might've been instead of Emmitt "let me hang around and pad my stats" Smith

either way I still think Jim Brown is the best rusher ever....he was a man among boys and didn't care about stats...he cared about money more and retired and went to Hollywood

Barry Sanders didn't care about stats either and was better than Emmitt.

Walter Payton was better than Emmitt.

back to this thread when talking about both speed and shiftyness...watch some old film of Gale Sayers returning punts or running in the open field...that man had the moves of a waterbug and just glided...prettiest runner EVER!

Yeah Bo might've been instead of Emmitt "let me hang around and pad my stats" Smith

either way I still think Jim Brown is the best rusher ever....he was a man among boys and didn't care about stats...he cared about money more and retired and went to Hollywood

back to this thread when talking about both speed and shiftyness...watch some old film of Gale Sayers returning punts or running in the open field...that man had the moves of a waterbug and just glided...prettiest runner EVER!

The Kansas Comet. Tells you how good he was, he only played 6 seasons and is a HOFer. I remember the mud game against the niners where he scored 6 TD's. Amazing. Better than them all IMO, including Brown.

lol here's what i do when i wanna piss a cowboy fan off, i say if emmitt wasn't chasing the record, he wouldn't have got the record. for example, if he wasn't chasing the record he probably woulda been backing up hambrick, or cut from the team all together since that's what happened as soon as he got the record. they just wanted him to win the record as a cowboy. had they played who they thought was the best player, emmitt woulda been on the bench for those last few years and probably wouldn't have got the record. like you say, he padded his stats. payton or sanders woulda got it naturally. just mention that to a cowboy fan and watch them get mad. sorry to get off subject people.

If Green returned kicks full time, he would have been one of the best punt returners....I wanna say, in college he AVERAGED over 20 yards a PUNT return.

Hester is uncanny....but, Green was pretty good as well...forget about the Bears playoff game, check out the ones negated by penalty....you can still see his quickness and speed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN7WMf0pmT0

This has nothing to do with the subject matter --- but I just glanced at #28's blog. I pasted what he had to say about attending #21's funeral:

Darrell's Blog

My Experience at Sean Taylor's Funeral

I am sure you've all heard the saying, "I am having a flashback." Well, I think I may have had the flashback of all flashbacks today. You see, from the time my wife, Jewell, and I arrived at Redskins Park at 6:15am today, all of the sights and sounds of this beautiful cold December morning were only that of the great memories we shared with many of the people we've spent just about our entire adult lives with. I couldn't help but be reminded of the wonderful times we shared together as players, coaches and families of the Washington Redskins. Let me explain.

There were no less than five buses full of Redskins players both past and present and their wives; coaches and their wives; and every Redskins employee including stadium staff. You see, the only time I've ever had an experience like that was during the many great trips to playoff and Super Bowl games.

It was really weird as I boarded the bus because it was like I was flashing back to the times when ol' #28 was gearing up for the big game. But before most of you were sitting down for lunch, I found myself living in the harsh reality that I was here to say goodbye to a promising young man. You know, I often hear meteorologists describe an event in the atmosphere where high pressure meets low pressure and the two coming together produce a storm. And today, let me tell you, when the lows of sorrow, pain and tears collided with the highs of love, admiration and honor for this young man, Sean Taylor, may I say, you just had to be there. It created an atmosphere of joy and celebration that was electric. The recent discovery of who did it and why proves to those of us who really knew Sean that he was not responsible for this horrible incident. He may indeed now rest in peace. I am glad I went. My thanks to Dan Snyder for inviting me.

The event was at Florida International University. Other former Redskins in attendance were John Riggins, Sonny Jergenson, Sam Huff, Joe Theismann, Derrick Dockery, Art and Desi Monk, Charles and Tyrena Mann, Ray and Ashley Brown, and LaVar and Trish Arrington. Chad "Ocho Cinco" Johnson was sighted. Others reported seeing O.J. Simpson. My guess is that there were over 3,000 people there.

Thoughts from My Heart

Green had more speed, better acceleration, but a little less agility...I mean Devin Hester is like a friggen cat out there...he can stay inside a 5 yard by 5 yard box and dodge like 10 tackles. Green beats him in a foot race though. There never was and might not ever be a player in the NFL faster than Darrell Green.

Man, I remember Green running down Dorsett back in the day. It's one of the vivid football memories I have from when I was a kid.

Both player's 40 times have been brought up as well as the fact that they are a bit bogus and not completely accurate. However, I think that what really separates the 2 is that back in DG's day, there were select few players with his speed he was by far, faster than the "average" player. And while Hester is no snail himself, I don't think he is quite as much faster than the average player is today. It's a fact that players today are bigger, stronger and faster now than they were 10 or 20 years ago. So in that regard, DG's speed was borderline freakish while Hester's speed is simply faster than most.

I do have to say though that I think Hestor would be able to put a few moves on DG. I think his knees are made of rubber.

From Wikipedia:

In his prime, Green ran the 40-yard dash in 4.125 seconds. At training camp in 1986, he unofficially ran a 4.09 40-yard dash.

I believe Darrell didn't attend the combine (not sure), which is why Deion holds the fastest time ever AT THE COMBINE, but remember DG was an Olympic runner who once beat Carl Lewis.

I wouldn't use Wikipedia as a credible source. You hear all kinds of stuff. When DeAngelo Hall was at VA Tech they claimed he ran a 4.18 on a track. To say someone ran a 4.09 40 is extremely hard to believe.

But to answer the question, I'd take Darrell over Hester.

From Wikipedia:

In his prime, Green ran the 40-yard dash in 4.125 seconds. At training camp in 1986, he unofficially ran a 4.09 40-yard dash.

I believe Darrell didn't attend the combine (not sure), which is why Deion holds the fastest time ever AT THE COMBINE, but remember DG was an Olympic runner who once beat Carl Lewis.

sorry but wikipedia isnt exactly the best source to get accurate information.

I think in both of their primes, DG would outrun him, but hester is quicker than DG which is my he is scoring almost every week (getting around defenders) but in the end i think Green would get him

In terms of pure speed, there's never been and probably never will be anyone as fast as DG. However, Hester is the best I've ever seen in terms of vision and quickness. We are all probably witnessing the greatest return man that has ever lived. His TD prowess in 25 games rivals players who had 10+ years and hundreds of touches to accumulate statistics. Hester returning 6 punts/kicks for TDs in a season (like he did in 2006) would be like Tomlinson scoring 50 TDs next year. It's absurd.

lmao @ this topic. Hester isnt even the fastest player in the league now. I can name at least 5 players faster than Hester.

Hester has great vision,acceleration, and agility but he isnt the fastest in the NFL.

Not that I doubt you....but to go all retro Name That Tune on your ass.....

STaylor2136 - name those 5.

Archived