Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Debate Series: Who's Faster Darrell Green or Devin Hester?

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Good morning on this cold and snowy wednesday (Man I miss RFK).

I was going through my old youtube videos and I started to wonder (and I try to be as unbiased as humanly possible). Who's actually the faster player Darrell Green or Devin Hester?

I know that Darrell Green has won the NFL's fastest man competition numerous times. I also take into account that players today are across the board a lot faster than those back then and it seems as though Devin Hester is the fastest of the bunch. This was actually tough for me because I can't seem to find very few times when I've seen DG run at top speed. You be the judge. All thoughts as usual are welcomed.

Have a great day folks.

Darrell Green

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCJgGsjErS0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MXj5zvHas&feature=related

Devin Hester

http://youtube.com/watch?v=P-byZWkpQ2I&feature=related

I think Green was faster in terms of timed speed (40). I remember Miamis pro day expecting Hester to run a 4.3 or so but I kind of recall it not being that overwhelming (still fast but I think in the 4.4X range...i'll try to look it up). Having said that, Hester has that football speed where he is as fast with pads on as without. Also in the youtube video from the Super Bowl Hester is almost caught from behing by Rob Giordano (a backup Safety for the Colts).

Hester may go down as the best return man ever barring any injuries.

edit: Nevermind

Combine Results

Combine Invite? Yes

Height: 5105

Weight: 190

40 Yrd Dash: 4.41

20 Yrd Dash: 2.59

10 Yrd Dash: 1.54

Wonderlic:

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16

Vertical Jump: 38

Broad Jump: 10'4"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Pro Day Results

Dates: 03/04/06

40 Yrd Dash: 4.35

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20

3-Cone Drill: 6.78

I think Green was faster in terms of timed speed (40). I remember Miamis pro day expecting Hester to run a 4.3 or so but I kind of recall it not being that overwhelming (still fast but I think in the 4.4X range...i'll try to look it up). Having said that, Hester has that football speed where he is as fast with pads on as without. Also in the youtube video from the Super Bowl Hester is almost caught from behing by Rob Giordano (a backup Safety for the Colts).

Hester may go down as the best return man ever barring any injuries.

edit: Nevermind

Combine Results

Combine Invite? Yes

40 Yrd Dash: 4.41

20 Yrd Dash: 2.59

10 Yrd Dash: 1.54

Wonderlic:

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16

Vertical Jump: 38

Broad Jump: 10'4"

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

Pro Day Results

Dates: 03/04/06

40 Yrd Dash: 4.35

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20

3-Cone Drill: 6.78

Can you find Darrell's?

If only there was some way to measure speed.....

Oh' date=' wait, there is.

Devin Hester 4.34

DG 4.15[/quote']

Darrell Green never ran a 4.15. I love him as much as the next guy, but there is no way he ran a 4.15 (unless it was hand-timed, which is completely bogus - throw a +- .2 seconds on there). The record is held by Deion at 4.26 or something like that (edit: at the combine).

Hester ran a 4.27 at Miami's pro-day. Green is his prime vs. Hester in a foot race? I don't know who would win, but I'm pretty sure it would be a photo finish.

edit: link added

Darrell Green never ran a 4.15. I love him as much as the next guy, but there is no way he ran a 4.15 (unless it was hand-timed, which is completely bogus - throw a +- .2 seconds on there).

From Wikipedia:

In his prime, Green ran the 40-yard dash in 4.125 seconds. At training camp in 1986, he unofficially ran a 4.09 40-yard dash.

I believe Darrell didn't attend the combine (not sure), which is why Deion holds the fastest time ever AT THE COMBINE, but remember DG was an Olympic runner who once beat Carl Lewis.

If only there was some way to measure speed.....

Oh' date=' wait, there is.

Devin Hester 4.34

DG 4.15

(Granted, I think all NFL 40-yard dash times are bogus. But that's a huge difference).[/quote']

4.15! holy ****!

Darrell Green was AMAZING. He ran like the wind and changed direction fast enough to pop his own sternum!

Darrell Green never ran a 4.15. I love him as much as the next guy, but there is no way he ran a 4.15 (unless it was hand-timed, which is completely bogus - throw a +- .2 seconds on there). The record is held by Deion at 4.26 or something like that (edit: at the combine).

Hester ran a 4.27 at Miami's pro-day. Green is his prime vs. Hester in a foot race? I don't know who would win, but I'm pretty sure it would be a photo finish.

edit: link added

Here's the one I love to trot out every time a "how fast was Darrell Green" conversation starts.

1984 Olympics 4 X 100M. U.S. Team wins in (then) world record time of 37.80. The team was comprised of Sam Graddy, Ron Brown, Calvin Smith, and Carl Lewis.

Darrell Green beat *every single one of those guys* in head-to-head sprints between 1983 and 1991. Find another NFL player who can claim something similar.

I honestly don't think there has ever been anyone to play organized football who was faster than Darrell Green on the field. No one.

in a flat out foot race? i gotta say DG. i think he still ran a 4.3 or 4.2 a couple of years ago when he was in the fastest man competition. i think rossum won it, but DG was a half step behind and he was like 43 or 44 at the time. so i gotta say DG in his prime was faster than hester. like C. Taylor said, is he still faster would be a legitimate question.

We'll never know since we can't line up Prime DG vs. Prime DH. In my opinion DG had better speed. Hester's return skills aren't all about his speed, or even mostly about his speed. His instincts are unreal. He has great agility and burst to make cuts at full speed and usually can break the first tackle. If I need a KR or PR I'll take Hester. If I need someone to cover a WR or run really fast in a straight line I'll take Green.

in a flat out foot race? i gotta say DG. i think he still ran a 4.3 or 4.2 a couple of years ago when he was in the fastest man competition. i think rossum won it, but DG was a half step behind and he was like 43 or 44 at the time. so i gotta say DG in his prime was faster than hester. like C. Taylor said, is he still faster would be a legitimate question.

Darrell is undefeated in fastest man competitions.

Archived