Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're not "close" to anything

Tulane Skins Fan

I have read a lot of threads on here about how we just need a WR, or we just need one player here or there, or we just need a QB, or a new coach. However, I think its time ESers realize we are not close to being a good football team. I love the skins, and I still go to every game, but plain and simple we arent good.

Let's look at what we need to improve on: 1) We don't run the ball well. We did have a couple games there where we looked like we did, but lately, and generally all season, we have not been able to run the ball. 2) We don't pass the ball particularly well. Honestly, I think this might be the thing we do best. When JC has the leash taken off (almost exclusively in the first half of games), I think his play is more than adequate. But we don't have dominating receivers, or even a solid core of receivers. We have a good TE and one WR, who is supposedly a game changer, but hasnt done that in about 18 games now. 3) We don't play good run D. 4) We don't play good pass defense. Finally, 5) the red zone offense is pathetic and has been all year.

When I look at this team, I see a running game, pass defense and rush defense that need to be totally revamped. We probably need 4 new D linemen. We got absolutely no pressure on the QB with them, and couldnt stop Freddie Jackson from rushing the ball (or whatever his name was). We need at least one more CB, as Smoot is only adequate now, Rogers is going to be coming off an injury, and Springs may be gone next year. Marcus Washington has been beat up for two years now, and may never be himself again. Sadly, we do need another safety now too, even though no one can be ST. On offense, we need a new RT, we need a WR who can actually change the game, and one who can move the chains or catch the ball in the red zone. It wouldnt hurt to have another TE besides the mostly useless Todd Yoder (who tries hard, but isnt going to catch a pass all year most likely).

Simply put, when I look at this team I don't see talent. I don't see us being one guy away. I see us needing about 8 new starters. Contrary to some others, I think the only position that we don't need to address is QB, where patience would prove to be a virtue in my opinion. But, we do have a glaring lack of talent on the field. We are 5-7 for a reason.... We simply don't have what it takes to compete with good teams on the field.

Just wanted to add: I think my point is that we need to take a long term approach. I don't think there is no answer to fixing the team. My point is I don't think the answer is we need "one more of these," or "one more of those." It's time to actually build something, from the ground up.

I agree this team is far from "close". The FA method of team building is a major failure. The WR group is terrible after #2 and the first 2 haven't exactly dominated. The defensive line is still bad at generating consistent pressure. The DB needs major work with the terrible loss of Taylor and the fact Springs is older and constantly injured.

That's a lot of fixing when you consider you not only need starters but depth. IMO the team needs to go heavy on the draft the next two seasons. Shed vets and bring in draft picks. We need younger players on the lines and first day talent at WR.

I have read a lot of threads on here about how we just need a WR, or we just need one player here or there, or we just need a QB, or a new coach. However, I think its time ESers realize we are not close to being a good football team. I love the skins, and I still go to every game, but plain and simple we arent good.

Let's look at what we need to improve on: 1) We don't run the ball well. We did have a couple games there where we looked like we did, but lately, and generally all season, we have not been able to run the ball. 2) We don't pass the ball particularly well. Honestly, I think this might be the thing we do best. When JC has the leash taken off (almost exclusively in the first half of games), I think his play is more than adequate. But we don't have dominating receivers, or even a solid core of receivers. We have a good TE and one WR, who is supposedly a game changer, but hasnt done that in about 18 games now. 3) We don't play good run D. 4) We don't play good pass defense. Finally, 5) the red zone offense is pathetic and has been all year.

1. False. No Randy Thomas, no Jon Jansen, no Mike Sellers. Bye bye running game.

2. False. We pass the ball well, when we call pass plays.

3. False again. Look at the stats. We typically stop the run. Giving up a hundred yards against the Bills was an aberration.

4. Wow, ALSO false. Redskins have been one of the best teams at preventing the big play. We get beaten deep over the middle, mainly because Taylor has been out for the past three weeks (and won't be back ever :cry: ).

5. True.

Well, 20% of your points are good.

We can't close games and haven't been able to at any point under Gibbs II.

Part personel and part coaching.

If Gibbs were in his 40's or 50's we could just say let's ride it out. He's not.

If the talent really were close to Superbowl level, we could just plan for next year an be optimistic. But it's not.

Year after year we put ourselves over the cap with a majority of players that have maybe 2 or 3 decent seasons left, aging guys who-yep, happen to be prone to injury. Then we turn around and ***** about it when these guys go down.

It has to stop sometime. Build around Campbell, Cooley, McIntosh, Carter, Landry and a few others. Make some tough cuts including in the coaching staff with Gibbs.

And let this year have been the real trend keep your ****ing draft picks!

1. False. No Randy Thomas, no Jon Jansen, no Mike Sellers. Bye bye running game.

2. False. We pass the ball well, when we call pass plays.

3. False again. Look at the stats. We typically stop the run. Giving up a hundred yards against the Bills was an aberration.

4. Wow, ALSO false. Redskins have been one of the best teams at preventing the big play. We get beaten deep over the middle, mainly because Taylor has been out for the past three weeks (and won't be back ever :cry: ).

5. True.

Well, 20% of your points are good.

1. Every team has injuries... thats an excuse

2. I said, that's what we do best, and did not say we need to completely revamp it. But you can't tell me the receivers are anything special.

3. 10th in the league in rush defense... maybe a little better than I expected, but its not unbelievable. Again, looking at the players, especially on the D Line, I dont see anything special.

4. The pass defense is 17th overall... that puts them in the bottom half of the league... not close.

5... we agree.

I think i we get 2 good pass rushers next year in thefirst and second round. We will be making the playoffs next year. Tyson Jackson and Quenton moses. I think we get these to our team will be 10 times better then what ir is now.

Quentin Moses? I could be wrong, but I thought he was drafted by the Raiders last year?

Edit: yea, he was drafted by the Raiders, CUT, and now plays for the Dolphins... only played in a couple games though.

The Redskins have never been close to anything for a while.

Each off-season the team persues these miscellaneous random quick-fixes at a desparate attempt to put togehter winner is the off-season.

When it does not work, the process starts all over again in the next off-season.

A team needs to be built.

Dan Snyder is confused as to why, with all the money he is spending, he does not have a Superbowl Trophy yet. He needs to spend more money.

When I look at this team, I see a running game, pass defense and rush defense that need to be totally revamped. We probably need 4 new D linemen. We got absolutely no pressure on the QB with them, and couldnt stop Freddie Jackson from rushing the ball (or whatever his name was). We need at least one more CB, as Smoot is only adequate now, Rogers is going to be coming off an injury, and Springs may be gone next year. Marcus Washington has been beat up for two years now, and may never be himself again. Sadly, we do need another safety now too, even though no one can be ST. On offense, we need a new RT, we need a WR who can actually change the game, and one who can move the chains or catch the ball in the red zone. It wouldnt hurt to have another TE besides the mostly useless Todd Yoder (who tries hard, but isnt going to catch a pass all year most likely).

Simply put, when I look at this team I don't see talent. I don't see us being one guy away. I see us needing about 8 new starters. Contrary to some others, I think the only position that we don't need to address is QB, where patience would prove to be a virtue in my opinion. But, we do have a glaring lack of talent on the field. We are 5-7 for a reason.... We simply don't have what it takes to compete with good teams on the field.

Just wanted to add: I think my point is that we need to take a long term approach. I don't think there is no answer to fixing the team. My point is I don't think the answer is we need "one more of these," or "one more of those." It's time to actually build something, from the ground up.

I agree for the most part. With two additions. Our coaching schemes have been subpar....this regime is worn out. And secondly...all these "stars" that appear to be just arent "stars". We have "BIG NAME" players that people label as studs/stars and quite frankly they arent. Plenty of D-Lineman, O-Lineman, WR's...it goes on and on. We think they are stars but in reality they arent.

Bottom line...we have a TON of average players that are paid as "STARS". We are made to believe they are stars but they are role players...average players.

We have a coaching staff that is performing as "AVERAGE" but is paid as THE NUMBER 1 Coaching Staff in the league. I could go on and on but im spent....I think u get my drift.

1. False. No Randy Thomas, no Jon Jansen, no Mike Sellers. Bye bye running game..

sellers has missed 2 games, and the run game has sucked pretty bad even when he plays. randy thomas hurts, but hes not an incredible guard, hes a solid to good guard, hes not steve hutchinson. jansen friggin sucks and is always injured, and looked completely horrible in the preseason. his loss is not whats killing us.

2. False. We pass the ball well, when we call pass plays..

we pass the ball OK when we pass. we really arent stretching the field still, and we dont have any big play WR. moss is not that good.

3. False again. Look at the stats. We typically stop the run. Giving up a hundred yards against the Bills was an aberration..

kinda agree, our run D is OK, but its not that great. its our pass rush that sucks huge balls.

4. Wow, ALSO false. Redskins have been one of the best teams at preventing the big play. We get beaten deep over the middle, mainly because Taylor has been out for the past three weeks (and won't be back ever :cry: )..

so what, we take away the deep ball. we give up the 15 yard play like clockwork, and 2 15 yard plays is one big play. sometimes i wonder if gregg williams can add.

5. True..

agreed

We really need to start draft/sign some young talents on BOTH LINES. In the last several years we either trade picks away or draft safeties/CBs. And our big FAs are always flashy WRs/CBs/safeties.

Who are our best FAs/draftees in last three years? Carter and Fletcher. See??

We might have to draft/sign three new starter in OL, two/three new starter on the DL. It is going to take at least two years.

Having an owner that is willing to find and hire a good GM would be of better help.

Well said...Snyder said one of the reasons he fired Marty was because he wanted input in personnel decisions again. That he had "more fun" when he had input...well I hope he is having a good time.

If you look at Dallas starting DL (which has fourth most sacks in NFL), all of them were drafted at the same year (Spears, Ratiliff, Canty and Ware). They are all in their third year, young, and getting better every game.

I think we need a pull a BP here next year and draft all DL/OL next year. Then we draft all OL/DL the year after next.

I agree. Were we need to draft is the D-line and O-line.

The FA approach can work at other postions: I'm thinking of a team that made splashes in FA this past off-season and might be the best team in the history of the game-- the Patriots.

We struggle for a lot of reasons and most of it is talent on the lines but remember, our WR FAs were brought in based around a heavy run and deep ball system, which is broken mostly on the running end but also a bit on the deep end (Moss hurt, Lloyd some behind the scenes issues and Campbell still missing deep). So now we have WR with the wrong skill set for our game plan.

Actually, from a statistical point of view, we're a contender RIGHT NOW. You know what our problem is? We don't know how to win a football game. We have no killer instinct. You know who's fault that is? It's not the O-line that forced us into a shell yesterday, that's for sure.

Let's look at what we need to improve on: 1) We don't run the ball well. We did have a couple games there where we looked like we did, but lately, and generally all season, we have not been able to run the ball.
We're actually #9 in the NFL in rushing, and Portis is #6 in the NFL with 7 rushing touchdowns. Injuries may be an excuse, but the truth is that the running game has declined significantly since Todd Yoder became our lead blocker.
2) We don't pass the ball particularly well. Honestly, I think this might be the thing we do best. When JC has the leash taken off (almost exclusively in the first half of games), I think his play is more than adequate. But we don't have dominating receivers, or even a solid core of receivers. We have a good TE and one WR, who is supposedly a game changer, but hasnt done that in about 18 games now.
Injuries can also an excuse here, but if you believe JC is more than adequate, then this isn't really an area of concern. Our lack of a dominating receiver is not for lack of trying ... Rod Gardner and Michael Westbrook weren't Gibbs's fault.
3) We don't play good run D.
We are #10 in rushing defense and
4) We don't play good pass defense.
#17 in pass defense. Unfortunately, there's a Sean Taylor-size hole there.
Finally, 5) the red zone offense is pathetic and has been all year.
We actually started out the year with a very good red zone offense and have faded to 18th in the league. We definitely suck there, and I'm not even going to try to make excuses.
When I look at this team, I see a running game, pass defense and rush defense that need to be totally revamped. We probably need 4 new D linemen. We got absolutely no pressure on the QB with them,
Andre Carter has 8 sacks, and Golston/Montgomery can hold down a spot next to Griffin as long as he can play. We need another end, and will need to replace Griffin soon.
and couldnt stop Freddie Jackson from rushing the ball (or whatever his name was).
When we were playing with 11 men, Jackson only gained 60 yards on 15 carries.
We need at least one more CB, as Smoot is only adequate now, Rogers is going to be coming off an injury, and Springs may be gone next year.
Smoot just had his best game of the season, we need Rogers to be healthy, and I think we'll re-sign Springs. We can't afford a big name there.
Marcus Washington has been beat up for two years now, and may never be himself again.
He won't be a Pro Bowler again, but he has been solid when he has heen healthy.
Sadly, we do need another safety now too, even though no one can be ST.
We do definitely need another safety.
On offense, we need a new RT,
I wouldn't write off Jansen yet, and Heyer has shown at least something.
we need a WR who can actually change the game, and one who can move the chains or catch the ball in the red zone.
It would be nice to have, but Moss and Randle El can be serviceable ...
It wouldnt hurt to have another TE besides the mostly useless Todd Yoder (who tries hard, but isnt going to catch a pass all year most likely).
Yoder has 5 catches this year. :laugh: In any case, very few teams have two high-caliber TE's and we already have Cooley.

eh, I don't really know. I just wanted to refute your points. I think you're probably right that we're a few years away from a Super Bowl, but I think we have enough pieces to be a solid playoff team if we're healthy: Campbell, Portis, Sellers, Cooley, Samuels, Rabach, Thomas, Moss, Randle El, Carter, Griffin, Fletcher, McIntosh, Washington, Rogers, Springs, Landry ... all very good when healthy. We could always use more depth, but I only see five "holes" at LG, RT, DT, DE, and FS ... and some of those holes are filled with solid veterans or developing players. We're not one player away, but we're not that far either...

I agree with Tulane.

With the exception of the Patriots, every team is "close". Even the Fins lost something like six games by six points or fewer. The Jets played everyone but the Patriots and Cowboys close. Etc. etc. the list goes on.

The difference between good teams and bad teams in the NFL is minimal. Good teams find ways to win. We don't find ways to win, in fact we're the complete opposite in that we find unique ways to lose.

There is talent on this team. I'd say Cooley, McIntosh, and Landry are good franchise building blocks. Samuels just hit 30 so he's a safe bet to continue to play at an All-Pro level for at least a few more years. Carter is just 28 and starting to find his groove as well.

We don't need to go on a massive rebuilding project. The Packers were, what, 4-12 in 2005? Two years later they're among the top two in the NFC without going crazy in FA. It can be done with a savvy GM. Unfortunately our owner doesn't believe in one of those.

Archived