Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Joe Must Go" chant at the end of the game today

voicekiller

Football is different than other sports - the games start at 1 pm on Sundays, where people can spend all morning getting drunk and have no cares about the rest of the day. Sure, they sell beer at other sports games, but it always seems to err on the side of "debauchery" for some fans. No one will ever stop that though, too much money to be had.

For the people who share the sentiment about Gibbs though - do you realize that he is one of the only reasons we have to be proud of this franchise? He dominated the 80's, and while the game has passed him by, good lord, he won us THREE SUPER BOWLS. You can't be that disrespectful to someone who has done so much for Washington. Without him, we'd only have the mediocrity of the 90's to remember, and then we would be on the same ground as the Bengals or Lions. It looks like a sure thing that Gibbs will be gone next year, so everyone please stop ****ing and moaning and have some respect for the man that brought the trophies to DC. He has done more than enough for the city, and it is tacky and classless to heckle him like that after he spent all week addressing a terrible tragedy. It's not like we were doing any better before him, and I sure don't feel very optimistic about the future without him (unless there is some mystery coach lined up in the shadows). I liken his situation to someone studying engineering in college, and then immediately becoming an actor. If they tried to be an engineer 13 years later, sure they'll always have what they learned the first time around, but you can bet that that many years away has a huge impact on your ability to succeed. Its sad that he retired, because no one has been able to capture that magic of his original tenure. He probably never should have retired. However, I can't fault him for giving it one more try, because the franchise was getting desperate. If it turns out to be a total failure, so be it. However, just because he didn't totally fix the franchise doesn't mean that we should be attacking him like he was Norv Turner. Save all that energy for the next chump we hire to continue the mediocrity, and let's send Joe into retirement with class.

No

We don't owe him anything.

Gibbs bust is in the HOF for what he accomplished for this franchise.

We owe him NOTHING for what he's not accomplished since returning.

3200 a year season tickets is what I pay, base that on 4 years he has been here. That totals 12,800 dollars. I think the product I have seen these 4 years versus the payout isn't fair. Hell I can get season tickets for the Ratbirds and it wouldn't cost me this much! I want to see my team win, I want to see a coach that is feared and respected, not looked up too like Grandpa. I want a product I can proud of when I spend my money and Gibbs hasn't provided anything that can be seen as a positive. Gibbs is just past his prime, he is a good and God fearing man but the man just IS NOT NFL HEADCOACHING MATERIAL.

It was one of the sickest feelings I have ever had as a fan walking out of the stadium after THAT horrific loss, to the bills, at home, in a tribute game, to Sean Taylor, after guys like Carter talked all week about winning for Sean, after taking two consecutive time outs to make it a chip shot, as time expired in the pooring freezing rain and hearing in the background as I walked over the empty nacho containers and bottles out of my aisle "Joe Must Go! Joe Must Go!" when the &%$ing Bills fan next to me says "I Love It! I Love It!" It was absolutely horrible.

However, just because he didn't totally fix the franchise doesn't mean that we should be attacking him like he was Norv Turner. Save all that energy for the next chump we hire to continue the mediocrity, and let's send Joe into retirement with class.

So, its OK to treat Norv like crap for being mediocre, but not Gibbs? That's a huge double standard.

I was there...it was indeed a sickening feeling. The Joe Must Go chant made me feel bad, because in my heart, i have alot of respect for Coach Gibbs.

He's a fine man and a passionate christian. Once upon a time, he was a great, intense coach. But it's becoming alarmingly clear that those days were a long time ago. Joe handled the ST situation perfectly, IMO. But it's obvious now that he doesn't possess the same desire and intensity to win. I thought that deep down inside him, he still had a great mind for football, but after yesterday, sadly even that seems to be slipping away. The two back to back timeouts, which resulted in the 36 yard chipshot for the Bills only solidified my worst fears.

Coach Joe is 67 and could very well be in his twilight years. Coaching may not be on the top of the list when you take into consideration watching his health and what not. This stress and dissappointment can't be good for him. I don't want to see Joe get fired. Joe is Dan Snyder's childhood hero and everyone knows that him firing Joe will never happen. What I would like to see though, is Coach Joe quietly resign at the end of the season. He could even have a retirement press conference if he would like to. But let's see Joe go out with dignity and class.

After this season, if we end up with a losing record (worse than 8-8), Joe has one season left on his contract, if i am not mistaken. Another losing season would have Joe go down as a failure, since he had one playoff season and four losing seasons. I dont want to see Gibbs II remembered as a failure, but i think if Joe sticks around, that's exactly what will happen.

How do you all feel about Joe retiring in the off season, and then the skins getting a younger, hungry coach?...like Joe was in the 80's.

I was at the game but did not hear the chants, but can you blame some of these people? Yes I know it was very tragic what happened this past week but I, like some others, don't have season tickets and don't have the privilege of attending every game so these people took their opportunity to show their disgust for the way this team manages to blow EVERY opportunity to win ball games.

i was at the game and didnt hear the chant, but those people are right. gibbs is awful. downright awful.

only homers would disagree, we have an nfl coach thats not even smart enough to know simple rules. supposedly jurgenson on the radio was saying they couldnt call a time out because the rules have been that way for years. so obviously gibbs calls a timeout. ugh.

Watch the post game presser with Joe Gibbs on the Redskins web site...I don't think he'll quit during the season but I think there is no question he won't be back next year. Watch the tape...you can see it in his face and in his tone. He took full blame for the extra time out and said he should have known the rule. It's like he knows the game has passed him by.

Very well said. I haven't seen the presser but after reading all the articles and quotes that seems to be the case.

Very sad the way to go out IMO.

Archived