Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Portis Make the HOF?

method man

Right now, at age 26, he has 7,300+ yards and 58 TDs. With all his injuries, I see him having maybe 3 more years at this level and maybe 2 more afterward where he is in a Fred Taylor-situation where he is truly splitting carries with another back. Assuming he can get 4000 yards in the following 3 years and 1200 yards in the 2 following years, he will have 13000 yards (assuming he canget 500 yards to finish the season). I think he can get 45 more TDs in his career, which would put him at 100.

He is clearly not on the level of someone like LT, AD, or even Westbrook. He is probably the number 6 back right now at best and was elite for his first four years. He has made only 2 Pro Bowls and that is the argument that is used against Monk.

I think for Portis to really secure himself a HOF bid, he needs to have one truly great signature season where he goes for 1800+ yards and like 25 TDs. He also needs to start getting back to the Pro Bowl.

It will clearly take better commitment on Portis's part. He clearly does not take care of his body that well. You could see the beerbelly in training camp photos and Clayton said that he doesn't think Portis would last more than 3 years because he has the body of a 29-year old.

you could see the beerbelly in training camp photos

I would love to see those photos. There is no way Portis has a "belly" -- he's not a baseball player. These guys are amazing shape, and the only thing you probably saw were his stomach muscles sticking out. Check out some of those UFC fighters when they take their shirts off. Their stomaches stick out... even with having a low body fat count.

and Clayton said that he doesn't think Portis would last more than 3 years because he has the body of a 29-year old.

That's because Portis goes 100% every play, whether he's running or blocking or tackling. He takes a beating and those little injuries can add up the older he gets.

If he was to single handedly get us to the superbowl and WIN, like Barry Sanders never did, then i might think he'd have a chance. On the current level of the team, with his own injured output, id have to say no.

John Riggins was a playoff rushing machine, thats what got him the respect. Portis isn't even in the playoffs.

I guess HOF is yet to be seen, but I can tell you this. From the interview with him the other day when he said he now sees what an impact players have on people that he has had a profound and life changing experience in Sean's death. I think we are just ahead of seeing greatness from him. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough.

You know if he scores he's going to point to the sky. Man, the house is going to come apart.

I don't think he'll ultimately be a HOFer - he just hasn't done enough, and although there have been times he's put the team on his back and carried them, they have been too few and far between. Of course, that could change. He certainly has the talent.

No.

You could see the beerbelly in training camp photos and Clayton said that he doesn't think Portis would last more than 3 years because he has the body of a 29-year old.

Body of a 29-year old? That's bad? God I am feeling old, I am only 3 1/2 years away from being a decrepit 29 year-old. All these 18-25 year olds running around on the field and on TV, I wll never be able to pull a young broad again. :(

Portis no longer gets as much recognition in the league as being one of the elite backs, a lot of it has been due to his inconsistency with injury the past two seasons. However, we all know he is likely the best blocking RB in the NFL, and is a great mix of power and speed when healthy.

A few career numbers for people to consider (especially the Portis haters out there):

Portis: 92.7 Yds/game, 0.734 TDs/game ---> season: 1483 Yds, 4.6 YPC, 11.7 TDs

LT: 94.8 Yds/game, 1.028 TDs/game ---> season: 1517 Yds, 4.4 YPC, 16.4 TDs

E. Smith: 81.2 Yds/game, 0.726 TDs/game ---> season: 1299 Yds, 4.2 YPC, 11.6 TDs

W. Payton:88.0 Yds/game, 0.579 TDs/game ---> season: 1408 Yds, 4.4 YPC, 9.3 TDs

B. Sanders:99.8 Yds/game, 0.647 TDs/game ---> season: 1597 Yds, 5.0 YPC, 10.4 TDs

I always thought that CP and Sean Taylor were the only current Redskins who could have a shot at being HOF'ers. Now, as people have stated, CP will need to lead us to some more playoff seasons and pull off one or two amazing seasons, but the thought isn't out of the question.

I think some fans need to keep things in perspective and not get down on players after just a few games, as you can see by the stats, CP matches up very well against others people consider to be top-5 of all-time. CP had the 3rd highest total in his first 4 seasons of any RB in the NFL, if I remember correctly. His young age will hopefully allow him to have many productive seasons, provided his body can withstand the physical nature that he plays.

CP is one of the best backs in the NFL and I think a lot of fans forget that, wanting only great fantasy numbers. He is also one of, if not the best, backs without the football in his hands, always hustling to make downfield blocks along with pass protection.

Also, by the way, Clinton Portis is already 44th on all-time rushing list and tied for 36th on all-time rushing TD list in NFL history.

Archived