Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon tries to rebound this morning

unclejack8

You guys need to back up for a minute.

Sean did have some issues with guns, and the law in recent years. The stat with that cause of death for young African-American males is what it is.

Be honest, we'd be a lot more surprised if this happened to guys like Campbell or Cooley. That doesn't mean we're not surprised. But, as tragic as this all is. These opinion writers are doing what we want them to do.

Lets not confuse Wilbon's stuff yesterday to a guy like Shapiro who simply doesn't get it anymore.

Come on man. If he wrote that nobody thought this could happen, especially after the comments Sean made himself before last season. Then I don't know. But if Wilbon just wrote about bakesales and school visits. That would be ignoring the case at hand.

This could all be connected to the ATV stuff. This could be just people planning on breaking in and not expecting anybody home. This could be a planned murder. We don't know.

Absolutely, that's why conjecture at this time is out of order and it would have served wilbon better to write about the positive. We may never know who is responsible for this and blaming it Sean's past is wrong. Comments like about what moving on what that meant in Sean's life refelected on his past and he couldn't cut the cord.....give me a break

taylor had a past and that's all there is to it... you can believe it or blame the media but the facts were there... from what i heard, he was changing his life around... like someone said, when i got that text message i wasn't as surprised as i would be if it had been someone without a past rep for trouble... was i surprised? when i first heard i thought he'd be arite... i thought it was something minor... but then i learned he was barely hanging on... thats when it got real for me.... i don't care about his past... no one deserves to die like that...

RIP #21

Absolutely, that's why conjecture at this time is out of order and it would have served wilbon better to write about the positive. We may never know who is responsible for this and blaming it Sean's past is wrong. Comments like about what moving on what that meant in Sean's life refelected on his past and he couldn't cut the cord.....give me a break

When dealing with something like this, you simply cannot ignore the man's past. Even if he did turn his life around. That doesn't mean the people he tried to distance himself from, weren't involved.

It would be poor reporting or poor investigating to just ignore that part. Sean himself made the comments on TV about a bullet changing everything. Why would he say that?

Yesterday he began his column by saying he was not surprised by the shooting death of Sean Taylor and more than anything I percieved it with bad taste were this morning he superceded his same sentiment by letting the reader know that this column would not be about Saens exploits on the field but about the other aspects of his life, which to me was better thab yesterday. Just one man's opinion.

Well that and the other day he said he wasn't buying the Redskins PR campaign that ST was turning his life around..

I made some rather snide comments about Wilbon and his observations yesterday as well, but much of it was the raw feelings of the moment. He has a right to have opinions and he is usually well informed AND one of the few national exposure guys I can think of who will change opinions when different facts and angles come to light, and for that I have to give him his due. He is also paid to give his opinions so naturally I won't agree with some of them, but that's life and I can stop reading him any time if it really knots me up.

The one comment he made that still sort of bugs me, and one he uses on occasion is the "nobody understands balck athletes but me" thing. First, as a practical matter, he paints himself into a corner because using the same logic he can now never tell me anything about white athletes. Secondly the comment about the Redskins not being able to tell HIM anything about one of their own players. For god's sake does he think there are no black people at Redskins Park? And if they are there, they are so in fear of Gibbs and Danny they can never tell their real feelings? It's like saying he already knows everything he will ever need to know about ST and further research is pointless.

Well that and the other day he said he wasn't buying the Redskins PR campaign that ST was turning his life around..

As readers do we ask or even want to know what he buys? Unexceptable and insensitive commentary on wilbon's part. He gets paid to feel the pulse of the communtiy not buy in to what Redskins nation is doing!!!

His statement on that may actually have been the worst part of what he said yesterday.

It's not even the "not surprised" aspect because it could be just the way he phrased it.

BUt to follow up and say that all his teammates and their emotions were part of a PR campaign and that as a 'black man' you couldn't tell him to buy it was RIDICULOUS.

As a LOCAL reporter, he should have heard these stories LONG BEFORE Taylor got shot, as we headed into training camp. He should have been able to, at least through secondhand sources, have heard these things about Taylor's attitude and approach to the game and to life.

So, it's NOT just because of his conflation of one incident with a "checkered history" but the fact that he sounded like someone who'd just been dropped off from 2500 miles away and had no clue or proximity to the team AND then dropped the racial aspect into it, not about Taylor himself, but to pre-empt and shut down any attempt by people who knew Sean that there was any change.

And let's be clear, that Portis said the 'change' wasn't that Taylor went from horrible, violent felon but just that he was opening up and was happier.

In some ways, I kind of regret centering any judgment of his character solely on the baby, as it implies he was some kind of total jackass beforehand when that is not the stuff I've heard about him.

As readers do we ask or even want to know what he buys? Unexceptable and insensitive commentary on wilbon's part. He gets paid to feel the pulse of the communtiy not buy in to what Redskins nation is doing!!!

No, he gets paid to write his opinion regardless of whether that jives with the pulse or not.

He's a columnist, not a reporter.

Some of y'all better build up a callous, because in the coming weeks there's likely to be a lot more pieces written asking hard questions and drawing uncomfortable conclusions.

As it is, the police may eventually discover that things are not as innocent as we in our grief would like them to be. They also may not, at which point, there will be some measure of redemption.

In my mind the best thing to do is recognize our role in this is as it always is, one of outside spectator. Regardless of how we may personally feel about it, those feelings are largely manufactured emotions stemming from our love of the team. At the risk of being blasted, there's a LOT of young men being gunned down in our country every week, but because they don't play for our football team, we don't even blink over it, much less read everything about it. Fact is, most people draw assumptions about such crimes on a lot of lines and usually the headline we read is enough for us to conclude what happened whether we're right or wrong. As angry as I get hearing peole label Sean as a thug who got what he asked for, it also bugs me to hear folks falling all over themselves as if he were their own son, when the only thing he really is to a lot of us is a guy on our TV screen.

It's a terrible thing. But ask yourselves where these emotions are coming from, and I would bet that right down at the bottom of it, it's about the effect on our football team. We lost a great player, a dominant safety. But if Sean was just some guy fixing cars for a living, we'd never give it a second look, if even a first.

It's Wilbon's job to ask tough questions out loud. It's his job to present uncomfortable angles we may not want to consider. As angry as people are right now with him, understand that as a sports fan in Washington, we're lucky to have a columnist of his talent and insight here in our city. I may not always agree with him, but he almost always provokes thought.

With any luck, the police will catch the murdering **** who did this, and we'll have answers. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

~Bang

You do know on PTI Wilbon and Tony both said they wish they could feel what the fans do but they can't, since in their line of work they have to be more cynical then most of us. That is the nature of their work, remember they started in the newspaper industry not TV.

Fools is not a good word :mad:

Then stop making dumb threads about what people in the media are saying. They are going to say stuff that you dont like, dont let it affect you. In another topic people were talking about boycotting ESPN. Haha, get real, if you want to boycott ESPN, fine, thats your loss. Boycotting ESPN is like boycotting oxygen

No, he gets paid to write his opinion regardless of whether that jives with the pulse or not.

Some of y'all better build up a callous, because in the coming weeks there's likely to be a lot more pieces written asking hard questions and drawing uncomfortable conclusions.

As it is, the police may eventually discover that things are not as innocent as we in our grief would like them to be. They also may not, at which point, there will be some measure of redemption.

In my mind the best thing to do is recognize our role in this is as it always is, one of outside spectator. Regardless of how we may personally feel about it, those feelings are largely manufactured emotions stemming from our love of the team. At the risk of being blasted, there's a LOT of young men being gunned down in our country every week, but because they don't play for our football team, we don't even blink over it, much less read everything about it. Fact is, most people draw assumptions about such crimes on a lot of lines and usually the headline we read is enough for us to conclude what happened whether we're right or wrong. As angry as I get hearing peole label Sean as a thug who got what he asked for, it also bugs me to hear folks falling all over themselves as if he were their own son, when the only thing he really is to a lot of us is a guy on our TV screen.

It's a terrible thing. But ask yourselves where these emotions are coming from, and I would bet that right down at the bottom of it, it's about the effect on our football team. We lost a great player, a dominant safety. But if Sean was just some guy fixing cars for a living, we'd never give it a second look, if even a first.

It's Wilbon's job to ask tough questions out loud. It's his job to present uncomfortable angles we may not want to consider. As angry as people are right now with him, understand that as a sports fan in Washington, we're lucky to have a columnist of his talent and insight here in our city. I may not always agree with him, but he almost always provokes thought.

With any luck, the police will catch the murdering **** who did this, and we'll have answers. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

~Bang

:cheers::cheers::cheers: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Screw the Post - their writers were completely awful in their coverage of Taylor and made some terrible statements. I will never, ever rely upon them for my news or Redskins coverage. After yesterday, no more subscriptions - I turn my back on them completely.

Then stop making dumb threads about what people in the media are saying. They are going to say stuff that you dont like, dont let it affect you. In another topic people were talking about boycotting ESPN. Haha, get real, if you want to boycott ESPN, fine, thats your loss. Boycotting ESPN is like boycotting oxygen

Or...you could exercise your options and not visit threads which you find pointless. The topic is pretty clear before you click.

If you have an opposing opinion, great lets hear it. Calling folks "fools" is not contributing anything.

My position on the Wilbon matter has softened. I thought he showed poor taste during the hours of Sean's fight for life and ensuing death but it's his right to say what he wants and his job to present his opinion.

I was getting bored with his schtick anyway and had stopped watching PTI with any regularity so any "boycott" was already in motion without even trying.

Wait, hold up. You're getting on Wilbon for writing up his assumptions on a guy he knew nothing about?

What do you know about Sean's private life? Where exactly was Wilbon incorrect?

He's stating his opinion based on the factual evidence laid by Taylor's past. The truth is that no one knew what Taylor was like in his private life, and that includes you, me, Wilbon, and just about everyone else outside of ST's circle.

Don't jump on the guy for having an opinion based on what we actually knew about Sean, especially when you don't know the truth yourself. :2cents:

What I know about his private life wsa what everyone else should know...

He was a young kid who made some mistakes. Minor ones that are hardly "thug" worthy.

He was still dating his highschool sweetheart, whom he recently had a baby with and was planning to marry. Thugs dont do that.

He had seminars at schools and bake sales with kids and was a contributor to his neighborhood. Thugs dont do that.

He led a pretty quiet life life and did not get caught up in the limelight like many other players do out there. Thugs dont do that.

So he skipped his rookie symposium. Is that really thuggish?

So he was arrested on suspected DUI after a party and the charges were dropped. Is that thuggish?

So he got into a fight with some guys that stole his ATV's. They stole the ATVS. Thats a fact. Sean went to confront them. That is a fact. The real criminals with arrest records claimed that the kid without a record waved a gun in there faces, yet they could produce no evidence that there was a gun involved. And these guys want to call Sean the thug.

I dont see that. I dont know how anyone else can either.

Or...you could exercise your options and not visit threads which you find pointless. The topic is pretty clear before you click.

If you have an opposing opinion, great lets hear it. Calling folks "fools" is not contributing anything.

Thank you:applause: :applause: :applause:

Wilbon wasn't as close to the Skins as a fan or a writer for the years ST played. When he was on john riggins radio show it sounded more clear than in his chat. He was saying that he wasn't shocked that a athlete was murdered. He was saying that the shock value of these unfortunate instances don't shock him. In no way did he say he wasn't saddned by the death of Sean Taylor just not shocked. Let the anger go and be with your loved ones on this tragic event.

~Bang

Sean Taylor was a fantastic football player agreed but like you wrote if he were a auto repair guy or regular joe there wouldn't be a fuss but my argument is with the timing of your lucky to have columnist. i wish someone who didn't know me from the last drop of rain felt i was special too. Harping on the negative by wilbon and others irratates me never remembering the good things or even adding them to his column is also pointless i guess for those who think wilbon is so great.

Pasizzle,

That's my point. I'm softening on Wilbon a little but I think it was his tossing out "I'm a black man, you can't fool me" line was TERRIBLE. IT just reflected really badly on him.

It's not that even that he said he "wasn't surprised" but I think these conclusions people draw from a limited sample of 'bad stuff' is unfair.

Point of fact, many NON-thugs would go find their stolen vehicles if they were fortunate enough to know who did it and had people who would back them up. At least as a courageous/stupid young man they might. Most people whose cars get taken, have no clue who did it. That is as much why they call the police and hope it gets found.

So other than that and a case which was DISMISSED (most DUIs with athletes involve them getting probation or pleading no contest) I'm not seeing what makes up Sean's terribly checkered past.

That's not to say he didn't know people but 'knowing them' can mean a lot of different things. I knew a guy who tried to rob a store (and was killed in the process) and might have sexually assaulted a girl. If for some reason this dude came back to kill me, it's my fault for not knowing ANY of this information until an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer told me about it.

Archived