Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Gibbs' Hasty Gamble Proves Costly

bubba9497

This was definately a bad decision to me but if we made it no one would be talking about it. Still, when we were lined up before the snap I was screaming at my TV to please stop! Call time out! Do something besides go for it here! We need points!...

These types of decisions are where Gibbs really struggles at now. The ones where he is working against the clock and only has seconds to make.... In his first stint here he was always noted for his half time adjustments being his strenth which we never see anymore and the games we seem to lose with bad coaching deicisons are just not good signs for Gibbs. I have a feeling that we may be seeing the last few games of a legend.

Yes, very Ironic that Gibbs has been so conservative in the first 9 games and then goes for it when we should have kicked a field goal. The odds were against us on that one. I was screaming at the TV for a FG!

I think the article is exactly right. If we would have kicked the FG we would have at least had the chance to tie the game.

Each Sunday is up for grabs what type of team shows up. Against Dallas we came out looking like we were hungry for a playoff birth. Yesterday we came out flat, zero intensity and Moss's fumble set the tone for the first half.

Wow, what a dissapointing day. I was crushed.:(

Im one of the biggest Anti-Gibbs people on this site and I think this ariticle is a joke...UnWise Mike is a complete joke. We all wanted him to go for it and he finally did. I mean less than a yard???? If the o-line cant get you a half of a yard then thats a wrap right there. I dont care who the RB is or what but a half of a yard?! Thats just being out played at the LOS. In hindsight it would have been nice to be down 3 on the final drive but everyone wanted them to go for it, myself included. I had faith in getting a half yard. I guess we are the fools for believing it could be done....shame on us.

I will always respect Joe. He didn't fumble on the potential go ahead drive against the Giants. He didn't fumble while leading the Packers, leading to a go ahead touchdown return. He didn't block on all those running plays inside the Eagle five yard line, where a TD would have iced it. He didn't throw the ball right into Newman's hands when the path directly to the endzone was clean and green. He didn't fumble his way into a steep hole against Tampa, then throw two crucial picks when the team was moving toward a potential winning TD. I would, however, just once, like to see JG throw a chair across the room and vent the rage that has to be bottled up inside of him. The injuries to key guys have been devestating, but not protecting the ball is totally avoidable yet extremely costly.

[quote name=Rufus T Firefly

I wasn't' date=' however, a big fan of the play we called. In particular, we're doing this thing lately where Moss comes in motion to inside the tackles before we run up the middle. The idea seems to be get an extra blocker (obviously), but you also usually draw the DB inside with him, so you're not gaining anything. In fact, you're really losing something because Moss isn't much of a blocker anyway. Plus, you're pretty well telegraphing that you're going to run. I wish we would stop doing that.[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed that too and I don't get it. Moss wasn't even a part of the play and all you do is bring a defender closer to the line.

Gibbs is in a no win situation on these. He takes the points, he gets railed for not going for it when you are moving the ball and would trap them deep in their territory if you don't make it.

He goes for it and doesn't make it, then he should have taken the points.

He goes for it and makes it, he's a gutsy coach and changes the momentum of the game drastically.

In total agreement here. Listen, i have been highly critical of Gibbs and his decision making this season, but i certainly was all for going for it on that situation. We had sustained a great drive, and to be quite honest we had the Bucs defense on there heels. Offensive lineman live for battle in the trenches like that situation, but unfortuantley they got beat at the point of attack. Heck, Brian Koloski ( i realize i butchered the last name) who has been cut on by this team than actaul games played was stoned walled in the backfield. Besides Derrick Brooks made a heck on a play to stone wall Portis from getting in the endzone. The only thing that IMO could be questioned regarding that play was that JC didnt think about sneaking it, but he obviously noticed something in the defense that made him give the ball to CP. Im fine with the call it was totally unlike Gibbs and it showed that he was finally going for the jugular in a game. Bottom line is that it didnt work, and people are certainly going to question that call after it dosent work.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally, I would've rather seen the FG unit out there, but I kinda dug the balls showin up as well. In either case, wouldn't have mattered to most here. If we had kicked it and still lost, there'd be a mega merge on threads about Gibbs' cowardly ways.

All in all though, if they hadn't put the ball on the ground so many times in the first half, they likely wouldn't have been in that situation.

Every coach in the NFL would have gone for it on 4th down in that situation. That was a no-brainer. The problem was the play was absolute crap!

You're right. Tampa had 4 turnovers to that point and only 19 points to show for it. Gibbs' D was showing very well yesterday and 4th and a foot is a no brainer. Only problem is MOST coaches call a QB sneak at that point. Handoff takes too long to develop. JC dives forward and it's an easy 1st IMO.

Not a bad call except in hindsight.

Ah, the post up to its usual antics. Gibbs contract a distraction, how so, because you say it is? The loss is on the coach for not electing to kick a field goal, because we know for certain that had he kicked the FG Washington would have tied it and won in OT right?

Of course this loss had absolutely nothing to do with turning the ball over 6 times, it was all about the 4th down call? Riiiiiight.

I'd rather him go for it and the team fail instead of being conservative Joe. Think about it. If he didn't go for it, we lose the game anyways. Going for it gave us another chance to win it. At least he's learning something but, realistically, its still not good enough because you have to have money plays for 4th downs or goal line situations. We've been absolutely horrendous on goal line situations and the biggest reason is that we are so predictable (still Gibbs's fault) but at least he's starting to show some guts.

Gibbs is in a no win situation on these. He takes the points, he gets railed for not going for it when you are moving the ball and would trap them deep in their territory if you don't make it.

He goes for it and doesn't make it, then he should have taken the points.

He goes for it and makes it, he's a gutsy coach and changes the momentum of the game drastically.

Couldn't have said it better. If he doesn't go for it, then he is too conservative. It can't be both ways. This one is really on the players IMO. They put the team in the hole with their careless play. The coaches did all the right things. It was on the players. They didn't execute.

jesus christ get off of gibbs back. He made good calls yesterday and if that one call turned into a td you all would have nothing to complain about. Seriously I am sick as **** of you fans that cant take a goddamn loss. Get the hell over yourself or stop watching football.

The coaches called a pretty good game yesterday. ***** about all the fumbles, the loss is in no way gibbs fault. Damn all of you negative fans, damn you all the way out of the DC area.

Lets face it. No matter what decision Gibbs makes it always seems to be the wrong one. Forget what the media says or does, just look at the end result. The decisions are almost always bad. Good coaches will get it right 80% of the time, bad ones 30%. Gibbs is far below that. It is time for him to go. Please don't come back next year !

Couldn't have said it better. If he doesn't go for it, then he is too conservative. It can't be both ways. This one is really on the players IMO. They put the team in the hole with their careless play. The coaches did all the right things. It was on the players. They didn't execute.

See my post above. Why is it Gibbs always makes the wrong decision? Like I said, forget what I say, the media says or anyone else says- look at the end result! This is a bad team with a bad coach !

I knew this was coming. It's inevitable! The proverbial rock & a hard place for JG! I like that we went for it on 4th & short. OK..so we didn't get it that time...we didn't get it b/c the wrong play was used to try & get it. Quick snap..JC barrels forward for the 1st! I told my husband when CP didn't get it that it was going to be used by folks(JG included..we all know he's no big fan of going for it on 4th & short)to say..."this is why you shouldn't go for 4th & short". I swear if we had kicked a FG whether making it or not...everyone...this paper included would have been shouting from the rooftop that we should have gone for it there...but if you win..this is a non-issue...Winning cures everything:)

See my post above. Why is it Gibbs always makes the wrong decision? Like I said, forget what I say, the media says or anyone else says- look at the end result! This is a bad team with a bad coach !

I disagree, I don't think it was the wrong decision. The offense was on a roll and had the TD defense on their heals. There was every reason to believe we would make that foot, regardless of the play called. A TD at that point puts even more pressure on the TB offense which was floundering bad against our defense. A TD at that point puts us in the position to win the game on a FG later.

I am thrilled that Gibbs went for it there and will support him doing it again.

You take th points there to keep the pressure on. The Bucs were reeling and addtional points would have increased their pressure further.

Even if you go fo it like they did do they have any other plays than to squeeze everyone in a confined space and run it right in the middle. This is even dumber with Sellers out.

I can live with the decision if they got more creative on the play call for once since we have seen the play they ran end badly many times this season.

I disagree, I don't think it was the wrong decision. The offense was on a roll and had the TD defense on their heals. There was every reason to believe we would make that foot, regardless of the play called. A TD at that point puts even more pressure on the TB offense which was floundering bad against our defense. A TD at that point puts us in the position to win the game on a FG later.

I am thrilled that Gibbs went for it there and will support him doing it again.

Could have, would have should have!! Let me ask it this way. Can anyone give me an example of when the game was on the line, Gibbs and company made the right call and executed the play? All I am saying is that almost EVERY TIME, it does not work out for the Skins. Is this just bad luck or bad coaching, preparation and execution? I think the answer is pretty obvious. Joe Gibbs needs to GO !!

Archived