Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Make Betts the Starter

WizSkinsO's

At the risk of being called a bandwagon Portis fan, I think Portis is going downhill instead of upping his play like he should at this point in the season. Today he showed he can't protect the football in two instances, couldn't just run the plays called and try and get to the outside but instead dance around in fear, and simply didn't have anything in the tank really, no explosion, no cutting, no nothing.

Ladell Betts had it. I think, since he has to be so fresh still, and with him showing that he clearly still has the explosiveness and the downhill running style that made him so effective last year, I think we need to give him the majority of carries. I still see explosiveness in him and fresh legs. Portis just doesn't look like anything close to who we traded for.

I say we put Betts in from the start and give him at least 20 carries and 5 receptions and use Portis as the blocking back and goal line back. I also liked the short-yardage formation where we saw Portis line up as FB.

I just think if we want to win out the rest of the year Betts gives us the best chance to do so.

Thoughts?

Wow, two weeks ago everyone was saying to trade Betts next year

This board is really something else

"Everyone" apparently isn't everyone.

If you saw Betts running the same plays as Portis today and the pass plays and the same runs, Betts just is so much better at them. Portis cannot move. His YPC as a starter getting fed carries is now like 3.8ish which is a joke. I thought it would just take him 'till about midseason to get into real form but aside from two games he's failed us miserably.

Betts looks much much better. If I'm Joe Gibbs right now, not looking at next year or the future at all, I think Ladell Betts gives me a better chance to win and pound the ball like I want to right now than Clinton Portis.

i dont understand how people react so ridiculously after losses. after we win a game theres no sound from these people but they pounce on losses.

Clinton has had 2 good games since week 1. One of them was against an awful rush D and was more based on frequency than quality.

Maybe there's a reason we haven't won in 3 weeks?

Stop being such a homer. Portis is having a really bad year and his play today disgusted me.

I look back at Ladell's success last year and want that again. I think him still being able to produce is a lot more likely than Portis turning the corner on this awful season.

"Everyone" apparently isn't everyone.

If you saw Betts running the same plays as Portis today and the pass plays and the same runs' date=' Betts just is so much better at them. Portis cannot move. His YPC as a starter getting fed carries is now like 3.8ish which is a joke. I thought it would just take him 'till about midseason to get into real form but aside from two games he's failed us miserably.

Betts looks much much better. If I'm Joe Gibbs right now, not looking at next year or the future at all, I think Ladell Betts gives me a better chance to win and pound the ball like I want to right now than Clinton Portis.[/quote']

Where were you when Portis shows up and Betts doesnt do ****?

Where were you when Portis shows up and Betts doesnt do ****?

Weeks Portis has been given a chance:

ALL

Weeks Portis has shown up:

1, 9, 10

Weeks betts has been given a chance:

1, 9, 12

Weeks betts has shown up:

9, 12

You seriously think we can judge Betts off his like 30 carries this year? He was a beast last year and convinced many he could be a starting RB in the NFL. Portis is starting to convince people he's completely lost it and is not a capable back at all anymore. It's time to turn it over to Betts and see if he can produce in this offense which Portis has failed to do.

Actually I was right according to NFL.com.

Rank Player Team Pos Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 1st 1st% 20+ 40+ FUM

1 Adrian Peterson MIN RB 169 18.8 1,081 6.4 120.1 8 73T 47 27.8 9 5 4

2 Willie Parker PIT RB 233 23.3 925 4.0 92.5 2 32 35 15.0 10 0 2

3 Joseph Addai IND RB 202 20.2 876 4.3 87.6 9 23 51 25.2 2 0 0

4 Willis McGahee BAL RB 196 19.6 851 4.3 85.1 5 46T 37 18.9 5 1 3

5 Brian Westbrook PHI RB 178 19.8 849 4.8 94.3 5 36 47 26.4 6 0 0

6 Clinton Portis WAS RB 193 19.3 802 4.2 80.2 6 32 41 21.2 1 0 3

7 LaDainian Tomlinson SD RB 192 19.2 795 4.1 79.5 9 41T 47 24.5 5 1 0

8 Thomas Jones NYJ RB 207 18.8 763 3.7 69.4 0 36 38 18.4 2 0 1

9 Marshawn Lynch BUF RB 196 21.8 751 3.8 83.4 6 56T 36 18.4 3 1 0

10 Edgerrin James ARI RB 204 20.4 730 3.6 73.0 6 27 36 17.6 2 0 3

Weeks Portis has been given a chance:

ALL

Weeks Portis has shown up:

1' date=' 9, 10

Weeks betts has been given a chance:

1, 9, 12

Weeks betts has shown up:

9, 12

You seriously think we can judge Betts off his like 30 carries this year? He was a beast last year and convinced many he could be a starting RB in the NFL. Portis is starting to convince people he's completely lost it and is not a capable back at all anymore. It's time to turn it over to Betts and see if he can produce in this offense which Portis has failed to do.[/quote']

Betts given the ball: EVERY WEEK.

Games Betts has actually played well in: 1

He almost lost us the Eagles game by himself, and let's not forget the Rams game last year. :doh:

Archived