Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Campbell's Confidence Grows With Each Start

bubba9497

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/21/AR2007112102496.html

click link for full article

Campbell's Confidence Grows With Each Start

By Jason Reid

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, November 22, 2007; E01

It wasn't about making demands or issuing ultimatums. That's not how Washington Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell does things. But Campbell did push for the team to consider signing his former college teammate and friend, wide receiver Anthony Mix, who was added to the roster Tuesday.

Campbell's assertive move off the field coincides with his expanding role in the Redskins' offense. With Washington trying to emerge from a crowded pack in the NFC and earn its first playoff berth since the 2005 season, Coach Joe Gibbs has put more on the young quarterback's shoulders, and Campbell has responded. His production has increased since Gibbs and Al Saunders, the associate head coach-offense, recently opened up the game plan, although the Redskins have lost their last two games and three of the last four.

On Sunday, Campbell will return to the site of his first NFL start as the Redskins (5-5) face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-4) at Raymond James Stadium. A third-year pro, Campbell has made strides in running the offense and leading the team since replacing Mark Brunell as the starter in Week 10 of last season, but Campbell says he is focused on the team's performance. The Redskins have six games remaining, and Campbell is determined to help them sprint to the finish.

"It's all about the team game. This is a team sport," Campbell said yesterday at Redskins Park. "You know you have a lot to learn when you're a young quarterback, but at the same time you're trying to do everything you can to help lead the team to the playoffs. I'm the type of guy who could go out there and throw for five touchdowns, but if we lose, it's like you didn't throw for any. I feel like there are other plays I can make. I always feel like there's something else I can do to help us win."

Lobbying for Mix was part of that process. In part because of Campbell's strong recommendation, the Redskins acquired Mix, formerly on the New York Giants' practice squad. At 6 feet 5, 235 pounds, Mix is as tall as Campbell, his former Auburn teammate, and the biggest of the wide receivers on the roster.

With wide receiver James Thrash recovering from a high-ankle sprain, Gibbs sought players with the potential to replace Thrash in some of the team's jumbo packages -- formations that include only one wide receiver usually for run-blocking purposes -- and Mix could join the competition to become the primary No. 3 wideout. Starters Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle El have been slowed much of the season because of injuries, contributing to Washington's season-long auditions at the position.

Veterans Reche Caldwell and Keenan McCardell were signed early in the season. The little-used Caldwell has been inactive in five of nine games with the team. McCardell has played well when given opportunities, but at 37, he is not in the Redskins' long-term plans. Injured wide receiver Brandon Lloyd is not expected to return next season, so the Redskins signed Mix, who was undrafted in 2006 and signed with the Giants as a free agent. He had three receptions for 39 yards in four games for the Giants.

Campbell acknowledged he spoke with team officials about Mix but played down his involvement "in the whole thing," he said. "They just asked me what I thought and I told them. I don't ever try to tell the coaches what to do. But if they ask for my opinion about something that can help the team, help us win, then I'm going to give it to them."

Some of his teammates, however, have noticed subtle changes in Campbell, who has exhibited more confidence since Gibbs and Saunders took off the handcuffs in a 33-25 loss to Philadelphia on Nov. 11. Campbell was sharp in Washington's first extended use of the no-huddle offense this season. He completed 23 of 34 passes for 215 yards and a personal-best three touchdowns with no interceptions.

In last week's 28-23 loss to Dallas, the Redskins took many deep shots downfield. Campbell passed for a career-high 348 yards (his first 300-yard game) and two touchdowns with one interception.

"His confidence is growing a little bit more," Randle El said. "He's always been confident, always been very unique in the way that he handles the huddle and always very calm out there. But these last couple of weeks, it's like he's said to himself, 'This is really becoming my deal.' He definitely likes it and Coach [Gibbs] likes it. Hopefully, we'll be able to keep on doing it."

The rest of the league has noticed Campbell's development.

While taking questions from callers on Redskins Radio on Tuesday, Gibbs was informed Campbell had expressed satisfaction that an audible he called led to a 35-yard completion to Moss (he made a dazzling one-handed catch) in the third quarter against Dallas. Gibbs sounded displeased that Campbell had discussed team strategy and told the show's hosts: "Jason shouldn't have said that. Kind of stupid on Jason's part." And Gibbs, a few seconds later, added, "Keep your trap shut, Jason."

Gibbs said later he was joking...But man, that does not sound like Gibb at all.

How many of you felt that INT maybe JCs moment of reflection to keep him grounded as did the bobbled snap for Romo sits to pee

i understand what you are saying, but Romo sits to pee blew a playoff game... Campbell threw an INT in a game we "werent"supposed to win. If anything, Campbell knows we could have won, so it's going to light even more of a fire under him

"People wanted to know why I felt bad after last week's game. I felt bad because two weeks in a row, if we had beaten Philly and Dallas, we would have been in a much better position," he said. "I was so upset with anger. I wasn't crying, I had tears in my eyes because I was upset with anger that we had so many opportunities and we keep letting games slip away. It's not about my individual efforts. I don't care about that. I just want to win."

:applause: :applause: :applause:

How can anyone NOT love this guy? He's starting to turn the corner and with that, the team is starting to turn one as well.

I'm not one for guarentee's or taking Tampa lightly, but I think JC will have another monster day against the Bucs.

How can anyone NOT love this guy? He's starting to turn the corner and with that, the team is starting to turn one as well.

I'm not one for guarentee's or taking Tampa lightly, but I think JC will have another monster day against the Bucs.

Right on dude, gotta love this kid. :cheers:

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Jason Campbell

Unfortunately their are a few out there that don't like JC on this board...

This kid is a winner and a player...The Skins hit the lotto on this kid and we'll be reaping the benefits of it for a long time!

I agree completely. We definitely struck gold with Campbell. 49ers should have taken him first overall. He should have been in Heisman consideration his senior year as well. Almost any other year and he wins the Heisman, it's just that that particular year there were 3 undefeated teams.

How many of you felt that INT maybe JCs moment of reflection to keep him grounded as did the bobbled snap for Romo sits to pee

It was the moment when JC knew he could have Won the game.....and didn't

JC has yet to "Win" a game

JC has yet to "Lose" a game (this year)

I do feel JC will be "Winning" games for us in the future

It was the "IT" game for me though....JC will win a SB

Hail

PS.....I can't wait for JC to throw a Lob

i understand what you are saying, but Romo sits to pee blew a playoff game... Campbell threw an INT in a game we "werent"supposed to win. If anything, Campbell knows we could have won, so it's going to light even more of a fire under him

Yeah Campbell was emotional over the loss and put it all on his shoulders. He could've easily dodged blame and realized that the defense lost more of that game than he did, but he takes it personal. It showed in the offseason when he showed up at Redskins Park early and started studying film, practicing and working hard to make himself a better QB and speed up his progression. I think we're seeing the results of that. Jason Campbell isn't here to be a half-assed QB, he's a hard worker and he wants to win.

If nothing else Gibbs has been good at aqcuiring hard-working players in his second tenure here.

he really impresses me so much. the way he handles everything and how much he loves to play and the heightened confidence he's been showing recently. the players see it too and they're going to use every breath they have to fight for him.

God have mercy on those who come against JC.

Gibbs said later he was joking...But man, that does not sound like Gibb at all.

Doesn't sound like him to me either. A personal conversation behind closed doors would have been better. Coach must be under some pressure to react that way.

So the rest of the league on notice of Campbell's development?

which is so disingenuous it's embarrassing. The paper follows up that grand-standing statement with 2 opponent comments. 1 from the weekly conference call with the Coach of this week's opponent and 1 from the conference call with the opposing QB from last week's comments - both who are paid to do exactly that - say nice things about the topics they are ASKED to talk about.

when i hear comments from player personnell people of other teams who are nameless then I know I'm getting at least HONEST appraisal - not pre-manufactured answers by opponents.

i dont want to rain on the parade, he's playing slightly better, but he's got so far to go. Too much to go to begin writing stories like this one. You may recall the Hall of Fame QB, Troy Aikman, mention late in the game last week that it's in the late moments where QB's are judged.

Campbell had the ball in hands late the last two weeks and did nothing - in fact, was the goat in Dallas.

Let's slow down here. Let's not forget the team has lost 3 of thier last 4 games and are falling apart.

which is so disingenuous it's embarrassing. The paper follows up that grand-standing statement with 2 opponent comments. 1 from the weekly conference call with the Coach of this week's opponent and 1 from the conference call with the opposing QB from last week's comments - both who are paid to do exactly that - say nice things about the topics they are ASKED to talk about.

when i hear comments from player personnell people of other teams who are nameless then I know I'm getting at least HONEST appraisal - not pre-manufactured answers by opponents.

i dont want to rain on the parade, he's playing slightly better, but he's got so far to go. Too much to go to begin writing stories like this one. You may recall the Hall of Fame QB, Troy Aikman, mention late in the game last week that it's in the late moments where QB's are judged.

Campbell had the ball in hands late the last two weeks and did nothing - in fact, was the goat in Dallas.

Let's slow down here. Let's not forget the team has lost 3 of thier last 4 games and are falling apart.

So it's JC's fault that the team is losing?

So it's JC's fault that the team is losing?

Apparently. Maybe he should stop leading those comeback drives in general. At least that way the secondary gets the blame for forgetting to cover people once Taylor is out, as opposed to JC for actually keeping us in the game but making a mistake at the end.

With one of the toughest schedules in the league, Cambell hasn't played one BAD game all year. Not one!!!! Yet because the Redskins are 5-5 he doesn't get the media and fan recognition he deserves for "Leading" the team. The article quotes few sources, but everyone around the league knows that Cambell is the real deal..Four of our five losses (not even considereding the Pats) were due to mistakes that the QB had no control over.

-He lead us back to the one yard line against the Giants and Ladell Betts stumbled to defeat

-He placed victory right in receiver's hands against greenbay and they dropped it!

-And we all know about the DEFENSIVE meltdowns without Sean Taylor against the eagles and cowboys.

It's a shame that our team has forced the young QB into having to make big plays at the end of games when defenses are soley keying on him and his injury riddled receivers. The Redskins have got to do better in playing for their QB, because Cambell is playing well enough for them to win!

Apparently. Maybe he should stop leading those comeback drives in general.

You do know that's what QB's in the NFL are supposed to do, right? They all move down the field, late in games against prevent defenses. They all do that. Just like Aikman said during the game... it's what you do once you get down in the redzone in crunch time that defines the QB. Campbell supporters say Aikman said he likes Jason... so we must listen to him when he says a QB needs to pull out a win for his team late in games and that Jason has done the opposite the last two weeks.

Campbell moved the ball down the field late against Dallas, when they were in a prevent and had what their coach termed as bad breakdowns and missed assignments. He damn well should have. He certainly doesn't belong in the NFL if he couldn't have. However, once we got down in the redzone, Campbell missed people (Moss in the endzone) and threw an interception that put a dagger through the team's heart.

Look. I'm on record as saying Campbell has played better the last couple of weeks. I was strongly thinking that he was a bust and hadn't improved this year... but he has shown some improvement. I happily admit that. However, he's also shown the tendancy to choke in the clutch a little with fumbles and INT's against Philly and Dallas.

I just don't want people to think that moving down the field against a prevent is something to get real excited about or anything. All NFL QB's do that. It's pretty sad that our fanbase does get excited about a 300 yard passing day. It's what happens once you get down there that counts. We gained around 160 yards of our roughly 400 total yards in the 4th quarter, when Dallas was letting us eat up the clock, on purpose with 8 and 10 yard passes. They happily let Jason have those... a strategy that worked like a charm for them.

Jason should have thrown for a lot of yards. Heck, the Dallas coach even said they played the run almost exclusively and took their chances with Campbell. They let him throw a lot and make completions underneath. It was their strategy. Even then the WR's had to make some great catches just to keep the chains moving... and we all know they usually don't make the circus catches.

The point is, we need to keep everything in perspective.

Campbell threw for a lot of yards against a team that had a gameplan to let Campbell throw a lot. His supporters need to realize it for what it is and not annoint the guy because of it. He appears to have improved a little. Let's see if he continues that game in and game out.

Campbell threw a late INT that killed any chances of a comeback. His critics need to realize that a lot of QB's would have done that and not crucify the guy for a late mistake. Let's wait and see if he continues to choke in crunch time, because he may not. Just because he has the last two weeks doesn't mean that he won't win one for us late in the 4th quarter. If he does that, it will shut up those saying he crumbles under pressure. Give the guy a chance to prove he doesn't choke.

Both sides need to understand that Jason needs to be judged once this season is over with and not make game-to-game judgements on the guy for every good pass or every bad pass.

When it's clear a team is giving us some passing yards to stop the run game, don't get too excited about passing yards in a loss.

When it's clear that the OL isn't blocking the pass rush and Jason fumbles from getting hit, don't get too upset at the guy for turning the ball over. It's the OL fault for letting them through.

Let the season play out and then let's see where our QB is at... that's my suggestion. Just use common sense, take off the B&G glasses, forget any bias you may have against Jason and watch what he does in these last 6 games.

Oh, and keep your fingers crossed. :)

Hail!

Archived