Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Major Factor In Why We Lost/Why We're Struggling Defensively

KDawg

The injury to Sean Taylor was the reason we lost this game (aside from the over conservative play calling that made me want to rip my eyeballs from the sockets.)

Once he came out, the Eagles offense pretty much had their way with us. They were bending us early in the game, but they didn't break us like they did at the end.

Sean Taylor is an integral part of our defensive scheme.

I felt our defensive line played fairly well.

For the season as a whole, our defensive collapse started right around the time that #53 went down. Randall Godfrey hasn't been bad, by any means, and he's certainly an upgrade to Highway 57 from last season, but he's not Marcus.

I have to believe that Marcus would have caught at least one of those two balls that hit Godfrey in the hands. Godfrey is damned good... for depth. The absence of Marcus... and Sean yesterday... Hurt us badly.

I can't disagree with your point, losing ST killed us, but come on, not scoring a td inside the 5 yard line twice is why we lost!!!!!!!!

That would of nullified any injury or how bad our D was playing, sometimes a teams offense has to win a football game and cover for their D.

I can't disagree with your point, losing ST killed us, but come on, not scoring a td inside the 5 yard line twice is why we lost!!!!!!!!

That would of nullified any injury or how bad our D was playing, sometimes a teams offense has to win a football game and cover for their D.

I don't disagree that we should have scored a TD, but there is no way we should be letting someone put 20 points on us in the 4th quarter.

As for the offense thing, I said in the original post that the playcalling was atrocious. I was talking OTHER than the play calling, because I agree that was a major factor.

35-7,

I realize that point was made, but I haven't seen anyone make a point about Marcus yet...

The injury to Sean Taylor was the reason we lost this game (aside from the over conservative play calling that made me want to rip my eyeballs from the sockets.)

Once he came out, the Eagles offense pretty much had their way with us. They were bending us early in the game, but they didn't break us like they did at the end.

For the season as a whole, our defensive collapse started right around the time that #53 went down. Randall Godfrey hasn't been bad, by any means, and he's certainly an upgrade to Highway 57 from last season, but he's not Marcus.

I have to believe that Marcus would have caught at least one of those two balls that hit Godfrey in the hands. Godfrey is damned good... for depth. The absence of Marcus... and Sean yesterday... Hurt us badly.

Yes, losing ST really hurt us. Without him out there, our secondary was vulnerable. We also needed Marcus in there, rather on the side line. That was his 4th missed game.

I'm worried about next week against the cowgirls, because i'm not sure if Sean Taylor will be fully healthy.

I don't disagree that we should have scored a TD, but there is no way we should be letting someone put 20 points on us in the 4th quarter.

That's my point, sometimes an offense has to be accountable to win a football game!

I know our D let down, especially with injuries, but come on if we score TD's not FG's it doesn't matter if it's Peirson back there or Gibbs himself.

Not discounting your argument about the defense, but the major reason we lost is because we can't score in the red zone. When you are up by 2, kick a field goal, you are up by what, 5?

W/ the entire 4th quarter to go or at least most of it, what does a 5 point lead mean? Nothing. The goal to winning is to play like you really want to win.

Also, GW is not attacking. He laying back and letting McNabb pick them apart.

I've come to the realization that this is just how its going to be until Joe Gibbs peacefully walks away from this team. His conservative ways have cost this team over and over again just this season alone. When you are down in the redzone, you do your best to score touchdowns. He is coaching like hes in the 80's when both teams just wanted to run it down each others throats. To a modern day offense, going up 5 points is nothing. You are doing them a favor. Joe Gibbs should be ashamed of himself for allowing himself to coach in such a scared way. It's embarrasing. How many more losses where we collapse with a lead is it going to take before he starts doing his best to score touchdowns. Not only that but when you punt or take a FG on EVERY 4th and short you show no confidence in your team.

While I agree that losing ST was big. I've been very disappointed with Landry. I realize he's just a rookie but if he's not going to get the job done out there then someone else needs too. He gets beat in the passing game constantly and his tackling is highly suspect. Aside from the occasional scooped fumble or fine-inducing head-to-head QB smash, he really hasn't done much. He got straight up turned around by Westbrook. That guy needs to make that play if no one else does. That is why we drafted him...

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I don't think Westbrook scores on that long pass/run if ST is in the game. I don't think Brown scores if ST is in the game. Losing him was HUGE. Still....not punching it in when we had that many chances inside the 10 lost us the game.

Well our defense shouldn't fall apart every time Sean leaves the field.

PP needs to swat that ball away.

Someone needs to make a damn tackle.

Like he said. The whole freaking defense shouldn't depend on a single player. It only shows our lack in confidence in ourselves. PP is good but even ST could've been burned on that play. McNabb threw a bad pass and Reggie Brown made a great play. The thing you're saying about Marcus being able to catch at least one of those two interception is true but you can't bank on winning games based on other teams mistake. Untill we can consistantly score in redzone, we will NEVER win.

That's my point, sometimes an offense has to be accountable to win a football game!

I know our D let down, especially with injuries, but come on if we score TD's not FG's it doesn't matter if it's Peirson back there or Gibbs himself.

True. I guess like I felt like we should have won easily the way our offense was playing. Watching that game yesterday, I felt like the offense was going to score every time it touched the ball.

I don't think the D needed to be superhuman like it has in the past for us to win, but they needed to make a stop late in the 4th. The 20 points is a little misleading because we fumbled deep in our territory, but the big plays were inexcusable. We've been priding ourselves all year on limiting the big plays. The long pass to Brown was almost a fluke, although I think ST bats that ball away. But the screen pass to Westbrook for the TD was awful. There is no way he should be able to get through our defense like that.

Not discounting your argument about the defense, but the major reason we lost is because we can't score in the red zone. When you are up by 2, kick a field goal, you are up by what, 5?

W/ the entire 4th quarter to go or at least most of it, what does a 5 point lead mean? Nothing. The goal to winning is to play like you really want to win.

Also, GW is not attacking. He laying back and letting McNabb pick them apart.

they pressured him but he moved like the mcnabb of old

Yes one player does make that big of a difference if its Taylor. The seam to LJ smith and the bomb to Brown dont even get attempted if hes in there. Go figure... those were two game-changing plays. If that one player is Griffin or if that one player is a CB, we can mask it. When that player is Taylor, it makes this whole defense vulnerable.

While I agree that losing ST was big. I've been very disappointed with Landry. I realize he's just a rookie but if he's not going to get the job done out there then someone else needs too. He gets beat in the passing game constantly and his tackling is highly suspect. Aside from the occasional scooped fumble or fine-inducing head-to-head QB smash, he really hasn't done much. He got straight up turned around by Westbrook.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing all season, Landry hasn't really done much.

I have to disagree. Our DB's don't look back. That one TD, brown made on us, should have been a INT. Our guy didn't look back and adjusted too late, a story all to familiar this season.

The fact that we have the personel to blitz and we don't is frustrating. We've gone back to the old bend but don't break D, which is pathetic and lame!!

We lost yesterday due to

1 poor tackling

2 penatlies on the D

I have to disagree. Our DB's don't look back. That one TD, brown made on us, should have been a INT. Our guy didn't look back and adjusted too late, a story all to familiar this season.

The fact that we have the personel to blitz and we don't is frustrating. We've gone back to the old bend but don't break D, which is pathetic and lame!!

We lost yesterday due to

1 poor tackling

2 penatlies on the D

You realize that DB was Prioleau, right? You further proved my point for me, you didn't disagree with me. Fletcher should have made a play on that too, but he tripped. Oops.

Once again, this IS NOT an offensive thread. Please stick to the defense here. I agree with the offensive analysis, but I'm talking defensive woes, and we had them yesterday.

One player DOES make a difference, and hoping for another team's mistakes is a part of the game. You have to seize the opportunity and make it count. Dropping picks is OUR mistake, not theirs. A defense FORCES mistakes, and we pressured McNabb a few times, but he was able to get off good throws or check down and make a play. We gave ourselves opportunities only to waste them and that was in part due to Sean Taylor and Marcus Washington not being on the field.

Sean Taylor didnt call 5 running plays inside the 10 with the game on the line. ST wouldnt have made a difference on the Westbrook screen(there already was nobody there, and he would have been playing all the way downfield where the other safeties were. Yes ST is a great player, but his injury is not the reason we lost that game.

Sean Taylor didnt call 5 running plays inside the 10 with the game on the line. ST wouldnt have made a difference on the Westbrook screen(there already was nobody there, and he would have been playing all the way downfield where the other safeties were. Yes ST is a great player, but his injury is not the reason we lost that game.

Nobody there? Did you not see the safety take a horrible angle and get beat about 10 yards down field? Everyone went outside the numbers and gave Westbrook an inside edge. Taylor downfield can get across the field to make a play. If we hold them to a field goal there it's a different game. To say he wouldn't have made a difference without even weighing the possibilities of what would happen had he been in there is naive.

Justafan,

You don't get what?

Archived