Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Major Factor In Why We Lost/Why We're Struggling Defensively

KDawg

GW's lack of NFL level pass rush and 10 yd+ cushion on opposition recievers is why the D sucks. And yes, losing ST hurt us bad. But you have to blame our red zone playcalling for this loss.

There's more than one reason why you win... Or lose... any game.

The red zone play calling was A reason.

I guess I didn't think my thread title through, it should read "A Major Factor" instead of "THE Major Factor".

Losing ST and not having Marcus is hurting us more than most people care to admit. Most folks here have such a hard on for the offense (It has been bad) that they are failing to realize that our defense is headed in the wrong direction as well.

Wait...I still see Westbrook running with no white jersey near him!!!! That was ridiculous. IMO Taylor not being there killed the defense and the illegal contact that gave them the 1st down was the beginning of the end. We also got hosed by the refs late on the pass to McCardell(I think it was him). So many excuses for a game we should have won but didn't.

The defense is a major deficit for this team when we get into the fourth quarter, but the offense is just as big a deficit. Of the four games this team has lost this season, we were in the lead in three of them going into the fourth quarter. This team seems to think that it can play three quarters and coast for the fourth. I don't see the killer instinct that was prevalent in "Gibbs I" and I don't see Mr. Gibbs going in and kickin' some butt to get them motivated. These are professional athletes and kicking them around the locker room every so often makes them remember what they're here for. :2cents:

I'm getting tired of hearing abou tin on Monday's from these Dallas pukes!

I can't disagree with your point, losing ST killed us, but come on, not scoring a td inside the 5 yard line twice is why we lost!!!!!!!!

That would of nullified any injury or how bad our D was playing, sometimes a teams offense has to win a football game and cover for their D.

Sorry, but 25 points should be enough to win you any game if your defense is playing even moderately average football.

The injury to Sean Taylor was the reason we lost this game (aside from the over conservative play calling that made me want to rip my eyeballs from the sockets.)

Once he came out, the Eagles offense pretty much had their way with us. They were bending us early in the game, but they didn't break us like they did at the end.

Sean Taylor is an integral part of our defensive scheme.

I felt our defensive line played fairly well.

For the season as a whole, our defensive collapse started right around the time that #53 went down. Randall Godfrey hasn't been bad, by any means, and he's certainly an upgrade to Highway 57 from last season, but he's not Marcus.

I have to believe that Marcus would have caught at least one of those two balls that hit Godfrey in the hands. Godfrey is damned good... for depth. The absence of Marcus... and Sean yesterday... Hurt us badly.

I agree with the fact that ST being out hurt us (not to mention Washinton and Rogers too).

And while I agree that the conservative playcalling on defense is a bit confusing, did you not happen to notice that their big plays in the 4th quarter both came on plays taking advantage of us blitzing??

Fletcher was in man-to-man against Reggie Brown (a terrible mismatch), and our blitz didn't get there in time. Prioleau was the help over the top (not Taylor), and he trips over his own two feet, resulting in 6 for the bad guys.

And how about that screen? Does Westbrook go 57 yards untouched on that screen play if we drop into a conservative zone? Can you at least acknowledge that play worked to perfection because we blitzed?

If we didn't blitz on either of those two plays (especially the screen), it's a whole different game.

But honestly, this didn't really matter either. 81artmonk said it - we lost because of stupid pentalties.

The injury to Sean Taylor was the reason we lost this game (aside from the over conservative play calling that made me want to rip my eyeballs from the sockets.)

Once he came out, the Eagles offense pretty much had their way with us. They were bending us early in the game, but they didn't break us like they did at the end.

For the season as a whole, our defensive collapse started right around the time that #53 went down. Randall Godfrey hasn't been bad, by any means, and he's certainly an upgrade to Highway 57 from last season, but he's not Marcus.

I have to believe that Marcus would have caught at least one of those two balls that hit Godfrey in the hands. Godfrey is damned good... for depth. The absence of Marcus... and Sean yesterday... Hurt us badly.

Taylor isn't the reason we lost yesterday. The lame A&& defense we're trying to run against teams we fear can pass is. So we don't give up the big pass play? What damn difference does that make if the opposing offense can march down the field any other way they want and score.

This loss doesn't rest on Taylor's ability to play, it rests with Gibbs allowing Williams to call this defensive scheme and Gibbs/Saunders not coming away with more than 22 points after 7 trips inside the red zone.

I agree with the fact that ST being out hurt us (not to mention Washinton and Rogers too).

And while I agree that the conservative playcalling on defense is a bit confusing, did you not happen to notice that their big plays in the 4th quarter both came on plays taking advantage of us blitzing??

Fletcher was in man-to-man against Reggie Brown (a terrible mismatch), and our blitz didn't get there in time. Prioleau was the help over the top (not Taylor), and he trips over his own two feet, resulting in 6 for the bad guys.

And how about that screen? Does Westbrook go 57 yards untouched on that screen play if we drop into a conservative zone? Can you at least acknowledge that play worked to perfection because we blitzed?

If we didn't blitz on either of those two plays (especially the screen), it's a whole different game.

But honestly, this didn't really matter either. 81artmonk said it - we lost because of stupid pentalties.

I don't have a problem saying that the blitz there may have hurt us. But still, you have a responsibility in a blitz or a zone and that play shouldn't go for that many yards and a TD. We were WAY out of position and took bad angles, but I do agree that the blitz didn't help us there.

Taylor isn't the reason we lost yesterday. The lame A&& defense we're trying to run against teams we fear can pass is. So we don't give up the big pass play? What damn difference does that make if the opposing offense can march down the field any other way they want and score.

This loss doesn't rest on Taylor's ability to play, it rests with Gibbs allowing Williams to call this defensive scheme and Gibbs/Saunders not coming away with more than 22 points after 7 trips inside the red zone.

What defense would you suggest? A zone where we've been weak in the hook/curl zones and the flats? Or perhaps a man with a blitz where we get beat for a TD (See: Westbrook, Brian; Screen Pass)?

What defense would you suggest? A zone where we've been weak in the hook/curl zones and the flats? Or perhaps a man with a blitz where we get beat for a TD (See: Westbrook, Brian; Screen Pass)?

One where we aren't in Cover 2 with our safeties 20-25 yards off the ball and the middle linebacker is 8-10 off. One where the linebacker knows that he's responsible for the back coming out on his side of the field.

We came out of it for a brief a while yesterday and went with only 1 safety. During that time the Eagles were not moving the ball. What did we do after we thought they would starting going vertical again? You got it....the same stupid Cover 2 scheme. Answer this question....what happened after we went back to it?

Exactly, don't forget about Carlos either, some people think he sucks but his absence is hurting us too.

One where we aren't in Cover 2 with our safeties 20-25 yards off the ball and the middle linebacker is 8-10 off. One where the linebacker knows that he's responsible for the back coming out on his side of the field.

We came out of it for a breif a while yesterday and went with only 1 safety. During that time the Eagles were not moving the ball. What did we do after we thought they would starting going vertical again? You got it....the same stupid Cover 2 scheme. Answer this question....what happened after we went back to it?

Honestly I'm not going to answer that. I don't have game film.

That's not ST's being injured fault...that's Gregg Williams lets play the same defense that we have the entire game's fault.

But that makes no sense. If it worked in the first half, and Taylor got hurt somewhere shortly after that, what else happened to make it stop working in the second? :confused:

It was a rhetorical question... I figured you already knew the answer to. You are fully aware the outcome of the game though so enough said.

I am aware... However, I would have sworn that the Westbrook screen touchdown was on a man scheme with a blitz and NOT that deep safety cover two scheme.

So I really don't feel comfortable in making a comment on something that I have obviously confused without the help of game film.

I am aware... However, I would have sworn that the Westbrook screen touchdown was on a man scheme with a blitz and NOT that deep safety cover two scheme.

So I really don't feel comfortable in making a comment on something that I have obviously confused without the help of game film.

I'm not talking about just one play... I'm talking the defensive approach/scheme to this game and the Patriots game. It isn't Taylor. I agree that he's an important part of the defense but lets face it.... If you loose one monkey the circus goes on.

That and allowing the eagles to come close enough to converting 3rd and a mile to go for it on 4th. If there was a point in time to apply pressure, I would have thought that this would have been it. If the eagles punt here, it would have been over for them. :2cents:

I'm not talking about just one play... I'm talking the defensive approach/scheme to this game and the Patriots game. It isn't Taylor. I agree that he's an important part of the defense but lets face it.... If you loose one monkey the circus goes on.

What if that one monkey is Tom Brady or Peyton Manning?

Archived