Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN's Bill Simmons complaining about Pats-Colts officiating

BraveWarrior

I think Bill Simmons has lost his mind. I used to find his articles on ESPN's Page 2 to be amusing, but since the Pats and Red Sox have been winning the last few seasons, he is becoming a one-trick pony, seemingly unable to discuss anything besides his hometown teams.

This week he has gone off the deep end. He is complaining about calls against the Patriots in their game against the Colts - a game his team won!:doh: Pats fans have no room to talk about bad calls. They went to a Superbowl on one of the worst calls in NFL history when the infamous (and previously unknown) tuck rule allowed them to retain possession of a Tom Brady fumble that would have cost them a playoff game against the Raiders. There should be a big, fat asterisk next to their name in the Superbowl record sheets because of that call, yet he is upset because Randy Moss got called for pass interference in a regular season game.

Anyway, here's my e-mail to him:

Bill, here's a quote from your recent article -

"At one point, after a rarely seen "blocking someone while they're out of bounds" penalty on Willie Andrews, my dad called me just to say, "They're calling things that I never even knew were penalties!!!"

Sounds a lot like the Raiders fans during the Snowjob game, eh? I can't believe you have the balls to whine about officiating in a game your team won, when your team has a Superbowl trophy they should have never received due to poor officiating.

Keep this up and I will predict this - while you may enjoy your team's season, it will be the undoing of your career. Everyone - outside of homer Patriots fans - is going to stop reading your commentaries. You used to talk about all the teams, but since your hometown's run of good luck the past few years you can't seem to be objective or write about anything other than the Pats or Red Sux.

Oh, and your wife was wrong in asking about whether the Pats were on a "bi-week". She should have known they are on a "bi-year."

I'm sure he won't respond - not so much because he's a Michael Rappaport look-a-like *****, but because his wife just gave birth last week - but I'd would love to see how he rationalizes his complaining when confronted with the fact that his team had a championship season that should have ended but didn't due to a horrible call.

I don't disagree with you, and I had no problem with the blocking out of bounds penalty, but those two pass interference calls (one offensive one defensive) against the Pats were both terrible.

Thats fine. Perhaps Pats fans do have and argument there, but Randy Moss gets to push off so much and gets away with it all the time. You get some calls and you don't get some calls, it happens.

Oh, and your wife was wrong in asking about whether the Pats were on a "bi-week". She should have known they are on a "bi-year."

Didn't notice this part until just now...the misspelling of bye week.

"Oh, and your wife was wrong in asking about whether the Pats were on a "bi-week". A bi-week is what your wife had when she and your sister came to visit me last month."

Or something funnier, preferably...

Thats fine. Perhaps Pats fans do have and argument there, but Randy Moss gets to push off so much and gets away with it all the time. You get some calls and you don't get some calls, it happens.

Like, say, against us on that fake-spike play?

Not that I'm bitter or anything. :)

I am really sick of the whole "the world is against us" mentality of Pats fans. STFU! You are 9-0. Do you really have grounds to ***** about penelties when you are 9-0? NO. Look at the calls they get in Foxboro. Randy Moss can shove Torrence 5 yards to catch a TD. Matt Light can put a choke hold on Carter to keep him away from Brady. But Skins fans aren't complaining about it because we freakin lost by 45! Bill Simmons shouldn't be ****ing because they are 9-0!

Pats fans should be worried about game #2 against the Dolphins. That is the game when Brady takes a helmet to the side of his right knee right as he plants to throw a bomb with the Pats leading by 35. They need to worry about the big, boiling cauldren of karma that is being stirred over their heads by the football gods. I don't wish injury on Brady, or any player for that matter. But I have been watching football long enough that I expect an injury to Brady simply because of the way they are coached.

The world IS against Pats fans. Because they won't stfu. Seriously, just stfu and we'll leave you alone. No one wants to see your trophies or hear about your broken curses anymore. Its a self-fulfilling prophecy when you pop up in front of people's faces and scream into them "I know you hate me!" as loud as you can for hours and then ask "why do you hate me?" That's basically what the Pats have been doing by following tasteless blowout wins with totally unwarranted complaining. Its not enough that they embarrass every team but when they meet a team that takes them to the wire, they have to rationalize how they didn't mutilate them, "oh the officiating was terrible, we would have won by 30 points otherwise." Please STFU!

Edit:

I am really sick of the whole "the world is against us" mentality of Pats fans. STFU! You are 9-0. Do you really have grounds to ***** about penelties when you are 9-0? NO. Look at the calls they get in Foxboro. Randy Moss can shove Torrence 5 yards to catch a TD. Matt Light can put a choke hold on Carter to keep him away from Brady. But Skins fans aren't complaining about it because we freakin lost by 45! Bill Simmons shouldn't be ****ing because they are 9-0!

Pats fans should be worried about game #2 against the Dolphins. That is the game when Brady takes a helmet to the side of his right knee right as he plants to throw a bomb with the Pats leading by 35. They need to worry about the big, boiling cauldren of karma that is being stirred over their heads by the football gods. I don't wish injury on Brady, or any player for that matter. But I have been watching football long enough that I expect an injury to Brady simply because of the way they are coached.

Do'h, I was too slow on most of my points.

I don't disagree with you, and I had no problem with the blocking out of bounds penalty, but those two pass interference calls (one offensive one defensive) against the Pats were both terrible.

If you go to the NFL.com site and watch the officiating segment on video that they do every wednesday, they actually go over that defensive PI against NE. Because the defender made contact with the receiver before he turned around and looked for the ball, it was PI. Pretty cut and dry and a good call.

On this page: http://www.nfl.com/videos goto NFL Network and then watch the NFLTA Official Review. He explains it for you.

They go over the Landry fumble pick up in our game too.

If you go to the NFL.com site and watch the officiating segment on video that they do every wednesday, they actually go over that defensive PI against NE. Because the defender made contact with the receiver before he turned around and looked for the ball, it was PI. Pretty cut and dry and a good call.

On this page: http://www.nfl.com/videos goto NFL Network and then watch the NFLTA Official Review. He explains it for you.

They go over the Landry fumble pick up in our game too.

I'll take your word for it. From memory, the replay when that one happened looked pretty standard. Maybe a technical violation but a good no-call. But anyway, :patriotsu . Or maybe they don't, but I'm tired of their bs.

I'll take your word for it. From memory, the replay when that one happened looked pretty standard. Maybe a technical violation but a good no-call. But anyway, :patriotsu . Or maybe they don't, but I'm tired of their bs.

You're not gonna watch it? I find that kind of stuff fascinating. I ***** all the time about the refs being blind, but it's amazing how much I think I know that I don't actually know. I watch that segment every week.

I think Bill Simmons has lost his mind. I used to find his articles on ESPN's Page 2 to be amusing, but since the Pats and Red Sox have been winning the last few seasons, he is becoming a one-trick pony, seemingly unable to discuss anything besides his hometown teams.
It's not just Bill unfortunately. Seriously everytime I have turned on ESPN or NFL Network this week they were talking about the Pats, and it is their freaking bye week.

Exactly. Seems if you're a big name you can get away with that. Thrash fights off a defnsive hold and they call offensive pass interference. Moss shoves Torrence to the ground and no call. Both Burress and Moss get away with murder. They both learned from the High Priest of the Pushup - Crackhead Irvin.

I read Simmons pretty religiously; he's a good writer, funny, and I enjoy all the 80's pop culture and other stuff he throw in there. That said, he's been on a serious Boston sports kick recently, which makes it hard to get through his articles. I wish he's go back to writing about stuff like The Warriors and live blogging WWE pay per views.

Can't believe that us Skins fans(notorious for ****ing about the officiating) are suprised that other teams' fans are ****ing about officiating too.

Can we show any more hypocrisy ??

Every team's fans piss and moan about the officiating. That's what it's all about. When you play tight games like we do, one call could be the difference, although I don't recall anyone on ES (except the radical ones) blame refs for a loss.

The point of the thread was, when you're 9-0, beat everyone by 25 points and are pretty much guaranteed another Lombardi, you really have nothing to complain about. The Skins 1991-92 season, I did not complain one time (post game) about any calls made. Complained during the game.

I read Simmons pretty religiously; he's a good writer, funny, and I enjoy all the 80's pop culture and other stuff he throw in there. That said, he's been on a serious Boston sports kick recently, which makes it hard to get through his articles. I wish he's go back to writing about stuff like The Warriors and live blogging WWE pay per views.

Clippers, not Warriors.

My favorite Simmons article was about how the Dolphins "gave" away Chris Chambers to the chargers to sabotage the Pats potential perfect season and protect the 72' record.

Well I guess the phins genius plan backfired when they traded him to a team the Pats HAD ALREADY BEATEN.

, when you're 9-0, beat everyone by 25 points and are pretty much guaranteed another Lombardi, you really have nothing to complain about. .

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Pats didn't blow out the Colts.

As far as the officiating goes, that game was a classic example of the refs "home cooking" for the Colts.

Indy: 4 penalties for 25 yds

N.E.: 10 for 146 yds.

Now, if you replace N.E. with Wash., this board would be ready to storm the league office.

Archived