Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you think Springs and Smoot are doing?

Leonard Washington

:applause: LOL

I can only dream of what this offense might look like with a taller, top-flight WR to take the pressure off of Moss and ARE. Imagine for a minute what a Chad Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald would do for this offense...and Campbell's development. :drool:

Oh yeah, sorry. Daydreaming again. This is a thread about Springs and Smoot.

I think they are doing fairly well. They get a lot of help from the Safeties but bye and large they have been pretty solid, but not spectacular, IMO. Their tackling has certainly been their strong point. They have not gotten many INTs but they also have not let up the big pass like they were doing all of last year.

I just hope these guys can stay healthy. Now that Rogers is gone for the year, I truly realize how precarious the CB situation is (is that a Cinderella song I hear in the background?)

Chad Johnson or Fitz... que the homer simpson drooling effect.

Smoot isn't playing well yet but he'll improve as he recovers from injury which seems to be bothering him since week 2.

Springs always plays well.

I miss Los' dancing.

Sean Taylor and Landry are helping the secondary tremendously.

Deep routes havent been an issue (except Pats game), we need to tighten up on the short outs and posts.

:eaglesuck

Pats only hit one deep ball against us (Moss against Springs)... Everything the Pats threw was over the middle and short to RBs and TEs.

I think our team has a problem with making in-game adjustments... Against the Patriots, when "bend-don't-break" isn't working, we should've changed things. Against the Jets, when we rushed everyone and let KC scamper for rushing yards, we should've put a spy on him. It's like we stick with one philosophy throughout a game and don't mix things up... ever... Why not drop 8 against the Jets? Why not rush 8 against the Patriots a few times and put Brady on his arse? Who cares if they score once or twice when you do that? They scored anyway...

it's interesting how Springs/Smoot were a great tandem in 2004. Now we're wondering whether they can keep it up since both are banged up. It kinda does suck.

On a side note, I'm wondering why Macklin is always inactive and even Eubanks was made active last weekend over Macklin.

I was pleased with Smoot's play on Sunday. I'm still nervous about him facing better receivers, but Sunday he showed up very nicely. His positioning was practically perfect, in many cases he was in better position to make a catch than the receiver. Very good instincts and vision.

I was not terribly happy with re-signing Smoot, but I'm coming around.

Springs when healthy is one of the best cover corners in the game, and he's playing up to it.

~Bang

I'm not really impressed with Smoot so far, he hasn't done anything really impressive but drop an INT against the Dolphins. He' been hurt by a hamstring injury which is limiting his time on the field. And against the Jets, he lost his man on coverage and Clemons completed a 30 yard pass on third and long.

Hopefully he'll get better as the season goes on, but I think Smoot lacks the physical ability that Rogers has.

I like Carlos. He is a good corner. He just doesn't generate big plays. He'll tackle a guy for a loss or limit YAC, but he doesn't make the momentum changing play.

He seems to be missing something you can't teach or maybe the coaching staff has him playing like a robot. Two interceptions by Smoot/Springs, and everyone will be like "Carlos who?".

Don't get me wrong, Rogers is the type of player we need on this team. A steady blue collar guy who plays it safe. Given how conservative our offense can be, we are going to be in games this season where we need a spark and guys like Smoot and Springs can provide it. No knock against Rogers, but this CB combo brings something extra to the table.

Pretty much spot-on. If had to choose pure coverage I'd go Smoot<Rogers<Springs but Smoot does seems to be a decent trip up type of corner, and he's pretty accurate at throwing his body into runners' legs. Not quite the powerful tackler Rogers is or the coverage guy that Carlos is for most of the time, but it's a fair enough trade off if Smoot can make the most of the breaks he takes on balls and can get us a few turnovers.

Archived