Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you think Springs and Smoot are doing?

Leonard Washington

SPRINGS

Springs started the year shaky. After summer contract issues, the skins seemed to want to arrington/archeleta/lloyd him. Even Springs thought he may not get significant playing time. After seeing that we needed the guy, he has been playing more and is quietly having a nice season in the face of extreme adversity (34 tackles and a forced fumble in 6 starts/8 appearances).

SMOOT

After getting molested as a viking, Smoot has returned back to us! He has been targeted but he has improved as the season progressed. Now that Rogers is out, I think Smoot will get back to being a leader in INTs. I love his attitude, and his swagger really brings something extra to the skins.

TOGETHER

These guys seem to be the master of playing off the receiver without looking like an idiots (sorry Rogers/Torrence). If we can make a playoff push, these guys will be instrumental due to their playmaking skills.

HTTR :cool: :eaglesuck :point2sky

As seaon progresses, people will start to realize how valuable Carlos Rogers is to us. Except for a couple of bad plays by Carlos, before his injury, he was essentially a shutdown corner. Sure, he can't make interceptions, but that's why he is no wide receiver. Trust me, Smoot is nowhere as good.

As seaon progresses, people will start to realize how valuable Carlos Rogers is to us. Except for a couple of bad plays by Carlos, before his injury, he was essentially a shutdown corner. Sure, he can't make interceptions, but that's why he is no wide receiver. Trust me, Smoot is nowhere as good.

I like Carlos. He is a good corner. He just doesn't generate big plays. He'll tackle a guy for a loss or limit YAC, but he doesn't make the momentum changing play.

He seems to be missing something you can't teach or maybe the coaching staff has him playing like a robot. Two interceptions by Smoot/Springs, and everyone will be like "Carlos who?".

Don't get me wrong, Rogers is the type of player we need on this team. A steady blue collar guy who plays it safe. Given how conservative our offense can be, we are going to be in games this season where we need a spark and guys like Smoot and Springs can provide it. No knock against Rogers, but this CB combo brings something extra to the table.

Heck, our wide receivers aren't playing like wide receivers. :doh:

:helmet: The Rook

Springs is really a staple in this D. His tackling and constancy is paramount to the function of the entire defensive unit.

Smoot's energy and enthusiasm may be his greatest asset for this team. Play-wise, we has been playing acceptably well this season and his tackling is somewhat better than I remember it being. He's not a shut-down corner by any means, but I'm very glad he is here none the less.

Smoot was back to his old self last week. Did anyone catch that play where the receiver he had no doubt been harassing all day dropped an easy throw because he looked back at Smoot before he caught it? Then Smoot came up and patted him on the back. I loved it.

They haven't really been attacked consistently because opposing teams have more success with swing passes, passes hitting the middle of the field, and deep outs ...If you notice our corners pass coverage to the safeties A LOT! My opinion is... Fred Smoot needs to bulk up...I don't care if you feel you are a cornerback & not a bodybuilder...I believe he is frail when he has to make certain tackles on offensive players, and I believe he would be better if he bulked up

I like Carlos. He is a good corner. He just doesn't generate big plays. He'll tackle a guy for a loss or limit YAC, but he doesn't make the momentum changing play.

He seems to be missing something you can't teach or maybe the coaching staff has him playing like a robot. Two interceptions by Smoot/Springs, and everyone will be like "Carlos who?".

Don't get me wrong, Rogers is the type of player we need on this team. A steady blue collar guy who plays it safe. Given how conservative our offense can be, we are going to be in games this season where we need a spark and guys like Smoot and Springs can provide it. No knock against Rogers, but this CB combo brings something extra to the table.

I think what happened with Rogers was last year's terrible season...He was thrown into the fire on many occassions/games and his development from rookie year was curbed because the situations weren't permissible for further development...It was lay it all on the line, which is good but when you are still developing as a player, it's like stunting one's growth...He had a very good rookie season...The year after I just don't feel he was able to build upon his technique...And before his injury, it was almost like he was given the go-ahead to play how he knows best, instead of learning to play better...

"SMOOT

After getting molested as a viking, Smoot has returned back to us! He has been targeted but he has improved as the season progressed. Now that Rogers is out, I think Smoot will get back to being a leader in INTs. I love his attitude, and his swagger really brings something extra to the skins."

Well, Smoot better get a move on then. He has to grab at least six INTS to top ST. :cool:

Rogers went from being a very poor-average cornerback last year to being an average NFL cornerback this year. It is disappointing he is injured. We could use the depth, especially since they aren't using Macklin (that's annoying).

For Fred Smoot to not live up to what Carlos Rogers gave us (even this year), he would have to miss at least one critical play every game and not help generate substantive turnovers. Fred Smoot's gambling cost us one large play on Sunday, but it's hard to blame him since Kellen Clemmons (sp?) was running for large chunks of yardage. How does Gregg Williams not make a half-time adjustment to count for that? I believe Smoot's gambling is what makes him more effective in man coverage and less effective in zone coverage. Smoot is a capable tackler and if anyone has been limiting YAC this season, it has been Smoot.

Springs has played as well this year as he has in any season. His tackling the last two weeks has been amazing. He isn't getting INTs, but that FF he caused on Sunday really made the difference in the game.

Both guys need to be healthy... For the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see what changes the Eagles make and if Gregg Williams puts pressure on their WRs like he did last time.

i'm not sure if calling rogers a shutdown corner is the funniest or the dumbest thing I've ever heard. either way, it is a false statement!

Heck, our wide receivers aren't playing like wide receivers. :doh:

:applause: LOL

I can only dream of what this offense might look like with a taller, top-flight WR to take the pressure off of Moss and ARE. Imagine for a minute what a Chad Johnson or a Larry Fitzgerald would do for this offense...and Campbell's development. :drool:

Oh yeah, sorry. Daydreaming again. This is a thread about Springs and Smoot.

I think they are doing fairly well. They get a lot of help from the Safeties but bye and large they have been pretty solid, but not spectacular, IMO. Their tackling has certainly been their strong point. They have not gotten many INTs but they also have not let up the big pass like they were doing all of last year.

I just hope these guys can stay healthy. Now that Rogers is gone for the year, I truly realize how precarious the CB situation is (is that a Cinderella song I hear in the background?)

Rogers went from being a very poor-average cornerback last year to being an average NFL cornerback this year. It is disappointing he is injured. We could use the depth, especially since they aren't using Macklin (that's annoying)...

Yeah I was kinda wondering what happened to Macklin. Why isnt he playing ahead of...uh...whatever that other guys name is?

Didn't Carlos have a pick-6 in the Detriot Lions game? I love all three. We need Smoot to get healthy but I understand how difficult it is to practice and he heal a hamstring injury. Its impossible. You need rest, elevation and ice. Hopefully, he will be permitted to skip practice this week and play on Sunday cause thats the only way his hammy will get better. However, I prefer Torrence over Prioleau in Nickel situations. Prioleau is getting toasted in short yardage situations. (He blew his assignment in the Cardinals game in the TD right before the half and got beat by Welker on the goaline with a simple spot route). Lets see what we have in the young Leigh Torrence. He did great against Randy Moss and the TD he gave up to him was an obvious push-off by Randy so I won't knock him for that.

Archived