Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reality check: Win or Go home this week

nneece

I'm sure many will call me a naysayer or say that I am a glass half-empty type of guy. But here is the reality: we are 1 win over .500. This is not a bad place to be in the NFC, but 2 of our wins have come against woeful teams (Miami and the Jets) in OT. Our WR's don't have a TD this year as the passing game is almost non existent and the running game has struggled until Sunday (against the Jets which are 29th in the league against the run).

Unless we improve dramatically I don't see us getting W's against Dallas (maybe splitting) or the Giants. We have to knock out Philly this week, they are on the ropes. It's fine if we win ugly, but we must WIN. I might be wrong but it seems as if the season hinges on this game barring some major shake up or changes.

On the positive side, Philly is reeling and hopefully we are getting more healthy. Portis seems to be more healthy and we will see whether the Jets was an anomoly in the running game.

After watching the Steelers- Ravens game last night, unfortunately we seem to be closer to the Ravens then to the Steelers as far as play goes. I think turning things around starts with a dramatic shake-up in offensive play calling (ie- let Saunders call the plays instead of Gibbs if, as it has been suggested, Gibbs is still calling plays). A healthier O-line would be a big plus of course and some more stability at the WR position. I love Thrash but he is not the answer at this point in his career.

i was about to go into the same season hibernation mode that I was in last season had we lost to the Jets. I know we still have 8 games to go, but it woulda been sad to lose to the Jets and be at 4-4. Hopefully all the injuries have been recovered from and we can be 6-3 going into fighting the Cowboys.

We let the Giants up when we could have destroyed their confidence and now look at them. That was a HUGE loss this season as we now have to beat them in their house because they are fighting for the same wild card spot we are. We simply can not make the same mistake again. Philly is coming in to our house ready to be put down for the count.

This is a must win because it's a division game, and because we have Dallas immediately after. If we beat the Eagles, we could take a possible loss to Dallas on the road. If we somehow lose to Philly, then we have to go into Dallas playing to stay above .500.

Oh, and neece, we're 2 games above .500. 5-3.

I have said some negative things about the redskins' play as of late, but this is not by any means a must win game or win or go home. Any loss is bad and will set us back. However we will sitll have a favorable record no matter what happens this sunday. THe team can;t be looking ahead. If they lose to the eagles then they just have to bounce back, stay focused and try to upset dallas just like they did 2 years ago in the monday night miracle. The cowboys are beatable. The bills almost beat them and the vikings also did a decent job. Both those teams, in my mind, are not as good as the redskins can be.

Never forget 2 years ago when the redskins slipped below .500 around the same time as now. What happened after that? THe team rallied together and won 5 straight to make the playoffs. So if worse comes to worse, we will be .500 after the cowboys game. If that happens we just have to hope that the team can rally and get some wins down the stretch in a weak nfc. Our schedule after the cowboys isnt;' too bad.

I think turning things around starts with a dramatic shake-up in offensive play calling (ie- let Saunders call the plays instead of Gibbs if, as it has been suggested, Gibbs is still calling plays). A healthier O-line would be a big plus of course and some more stability at the WR position. I love Thrash but he is not the answer at this point in his career.

This is all true.

CP ran for almost 200 and Betts ran for 60 something last week, but we can't come out and get run-happy against the Iggles. They're 7th best in run defense in the NFL right now and 21st in pass defense.

People are suggesting that the reason Gibbs ran the ball like he did against the Jets was because that was the gameplan and that they were so bad against the run (29th). We'll find out for sure on Sunday.

By the way he's been talking he wants to pound the rock every game like that and that's just not going to work. We have to open things up and get our pass game rolling before we head down to Dallas because they are the 5th best in the league against the rush.:2cents:

This is the chance to take on of your main rivals, stick your foot on their throat and not let them get up. Much like the Giants game earlier in the year.

If this team has any notions about being a good team, this is an opportunity they can't pass up.

Since when is 5-3 only one game over .500?

<scratches head?>

Other than that, I agree with the OP. BUT, if we can get just a little consistancy in the passing game, I can see us realisticall going 5-3 the rest of the way.

Unfortunatley that wont get us into the playoffs because I think those three losses are going to be against Dallas (twice) and Giants (once).

Since when is 5-3 only one game over .500?

<scratches head?>

Other than that, I agree with the OP. BUT, if we can get just a little consistancy in the passing game, I can see us realisticall going 5-3 the rest of the way.

Unfortunatley that wont get us into the playoffs because I think those three losses are going to be against Dallas (twice) and Giants (once).

I thought the same thing at first but, what he is saying is we lose last week, one game, we're 4-4.

Let me break it down real simple:

Playoff teams wins this (Eagles game). If we are truly a playoff team, we win this game.

Superbowl contention teams wins this (Eagles) AND next weeks (at Dallas) games. If we are a Super Bowl contender, we win both these games.

That being said, I believe we beat Philly this week and lose at Dallas next week.

And what happens if we lose to Philly and beat Dallas? It won't happen. But if it does, attribute it to the "any given sunday / NFC East" rule.

Let me break it down real simple:

Playoff teams wins this (Eagles game). If we are truly a playoff team, we win this game.

Superbowl contention teams wins this (Eagles) AND next weeks (at Dallas) games. If we are a Super Bowl contender, we win both these games.

:applause:

Well said.

I thought the same thing at first but, what he is saying is we lose last week, one game, we're 4-4.

Not to be a stickler, but I think some people are confusing the definitions of "games above .500" and "games behind the division leader."

Games above .500 refers to the difference between wins and losses. Thus, at 5-3, we have five wins and three losses. Five minus three equals two. Thus, we are two games above .500.

As for games behind the division leader, let's take Dallas at 7-1. We are 5-3. Thus, we are two games behind Dallas. The logic of this math is as follows: if we were to play two head-to-head games against Dallas on consecutive weeks, and we beat them both times, then we would be 7-3 and so would Dallas. However, let's say that the NFL schedule is more erratic, somewhat like the NBA schedule in which different teams have played a different number of games at the same point in the season. So let's say we have play two more games over the next two weeks while Dallas does not. Let's say we win both of those. Now we're 7-3 while Dallas is 7-1. Then we would be one game behind Dallas. Then, if we played them and won, we would be even because we would be 8-3 while they would be 7-2. They have one fewer loss, but they also have one fewer win as well, thus they are even. At that point we would be placed below them in the standings because they have the potential in their next two games to win both, and thus get to 9-2 with the same overall number of games played.

Hopefully that makes a little sense.

I'm sure many will call me a naysayer or say that I am a glass half-empty type of guy. But here is the reality: we are 1 win over .500. This is not a bad place to be in the NFC, but 2 of our wins have come against woeful teams (Miami and the Jets) in OT. Our WR's don't have a TD this year as the passing game is almost non existent and the running game has struggled until Sunday (against the Jets which are 29th in the league against the run).

Unless we improve dramatically I don't see us getting W's against Dallas (maybe splitting) or the Giants. We have to knock out Philly this week, they are on the ropes. It's fine if we win ugly, but we must WIN. I might be wrong but it seems as if the season hinges on this game barring some major shake up or changes.

On the positive side, Philly is reeling and hopefully we are getting more healthy. Portis seems to be more healthy and we will see whether the Jets was an anomoly in the running game.

After watching the Steelers- Ravens game last night, unfortunately we seem to be closer to the Ravens then to the Steelers as far as play goes. I think turning things around starts with a dramatic shake-up in offensive play calling (ie- let Saunders call the plays instead of Gibbs if, as it has been suggested, Gibbs is still calling plays). A healthier O-line would be a big plus of course and some more stability at the WR position. I love Thrash but he is not the answer at this point in his career.

this is where i stopped reading you post. we are 5-3. thats 2 games above .500

which shows your football intelligence right there. :laugh:

/thread

Lefty..

Off subject and no offense... but...

That house looks really small. It doesnt have the foundation contour of a basement, and at least it looks like a very small garage for 2 cars...

What subdivision? I built a house several years ago in Sawhill out in Spotsy. They are like 400,000 - 1/2 mill minimum tho....

It just looks really tiny.

this is where i stopped reading you post. we are 5-3. thats 2 games above .500

which shows your football intelligence right there. :laugh:

/thread

Not really, dude. The idea is that one loss instead of one win would leave us at 4-4.

Meaning .500. Sure, if you want to play around with the number of games we've played or something like that, you'd be right but since we aren't engaged in such nonsense...

We've played eight games, so if we had lost 2 more instead of won 2, we'd be 3-5.

/your post and football intelligence

who are you too talk crap about someone building a house. Grow Up dude

Lefty..

Off subject and no offense... but...

That house looks really small. It doesnt have the foundation contour of a basement, and at least it looks like a very small garage for 2 cars...

What subdivision? I built a house several years ago in Sawhill out in Spotsy. They are like 400,000 - 1/2 mill minimum tho....

It just looks really tiny.

this week is really a gut-check week

we were a prime playoff contender in the nfc, and then the pats got to us. if we can put away the eagles, then i believe we re-establish ourselves as a real threat in the nfc

I agree that the fans (and Im sure the team) are still feeling the effect of the patriots game but the truth is the psyche of this team right now is deeper than that. Its the way the entire season has gone. win, lose, win, lose, win, lose. . . Its not just getting pasted by the patriots in front of the entire country, it was escaping winless Miami at home (when our team was completely healthy) in overtime, blowing the giants game AT HOME with 17-3 lead after we beat the (now we know fraudulent) eagles at their place in front of the world!! Than we blow the greenbay game one week after we blow out ( a now real) detroit team (also note we had the bye the week before) at home only to barely escape the hapless Cardinals at home before getting smashed to oblivion against the Pats and finally falling behind and barely eclipsing the 1-8 Jets starting a true rookie for the first time.

Archived