Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington offensive game plan easy to read. (merged)

cozmikbuffalo

It still amazes me just how few three receiver sets we run. We almost never spread the field and I think it's the biggest reason we have such a hard time generating big plays and scoring points.

That's the part that gets me too. Running a tight formation is one thing. Doing it with Thrash as your only WR is like yelling "Its a run! Stack the Box!"

Plus, games like this against 1 win teams just convinces some coaches that it'll work against everybody. Which is sad.

They kept running the ball because it was WORKING. If it's so predictable, the Jets would've stopped it. Knowing a play is coming is all fine and dandy, but now you have to stop it, and the Jets couldn't.

They keep doing it when it doesn't work, too. Running just seems to be the thing the coaches want to do no matter what.

And that is the only one example you can give. And it worked by golly, gee whiz how about that.

I was responding to one specific play that another poster mentioned. It was from a 3 WR set and it was after we threw out of a 3 WR set on 1st down. Just saying that spreading the offense and passing helps to open up the run at least as well, if not more so in the current NFL, as running to set up the pass. Problem is, we tend to only concentrate on one.

I'm asking you to answer a simple question.

You started the thread. You took the time to total up the runs vs. passes. You took the time to do the math while subjectively eliminating the 3 best plays.

Asking you to share the actual numbers hardly seems like I'm trying to indict your character.

Sorry I am a bit punch drunk. It's been a battle today. I apologize. I will run those numbers. I only meant to say that as much negative responses that I have recieved today I just thought it would be considered more genuine if I wasn't the one doing the math so there would be no questions of it's authenticity. That's all.

Yo dude, we had almost 300 yards rushing. If it was so predictable to you, maybe you should submit your resume to the owner of the Jets. He has teams of paid professionals who couldn't stop our predictable offense.

Yo Dude, the Jets are 27th against the run and yes they did stop our offense. We were 33% on third downs and we had to kick 2 field goals when starting the drive 1st and goal. I would say that is stopping our offense. Not to mention that it went into OT.

Yo dude, we had almost 300 yards rushing. If it was so predictable to you, maybe you should submit your resume to the owner of the Jets. He has teams of paid professionals who couldn't stop our predictable offense.
the thread title should be "Washington offensive game plan was effective"

Om is right cozmik. If you're going to eliminate outliers you have to balance it.

Actually, I was only making the point of how often we run of first down and how little we throw. I am not compiliing the statistics of how far each of those plays got. Read the post it says nothing about yardage. It is about the amount of runs and passes and % on third downs. That is all. I would be curious to find out just how much each of those first downs did get us, but I am not prepared to do that right now. I am still venting.

You call climbing out of a 14 point lead an effective game plan against a 1-7 team. Your standards for excellence must come into question here.
who gave up those pts? not the running game, last i checked the running game kept our defense off the field for once and allowed us to control the clock most of the game, if not for the 1st kickoff going for 6 the game would have been easier to manage but atleast we won right? are you still arguing about the run game after a win?

who gave up those pts? not the running game, last i checked the running game kept our defense off the field for once and allowed us to control the clock most of the game, if not for the 1st kickoff going for 6 the game would have been easier to manage but atleast we won right? are you still arguing about the run game after a win?

By the same arguement you are making, if the Eagles reciever had caught that ball, If Moss hadn't fumbled that ball,If Arizona had made that kick and if Miami didn't throw that inteception, and If that Jets reciever didn't drop that ball things would be really really different wouldn't they.

They keep doing it when it doesn't work, too. Running just seems to be the thing the coaches want to do no matter what.

They don't know it's not going to work when they call it. They call because they think it will work. You can't have them all. The point is, it worked more often than not.

Are you in the wrong thread OM. I never stated any stats concerning yards per 1st down did I??

You said it was about a 3.3 yard per carry average, minus some plays that worked. :laugh: Come on man, you can't do that. You can't say, "Oh, well without these good plays, it was a 3.3 ypc". That's called bending the stats in your favor. Why are you so bent on being negative? Why can't you guys just appreciate a win, no matter what kind?

You said it was about a 3.3 yard per carry average, minus some plays that worked. :laugh: Come on man, you can't do that. You can't say, "Oh, well without these good plays, it was a 3.3 ypc". That's called bending the stats in your favor. Why are you so bent on being negative? Why can't you guys just appreciate a win, no matter what kind?

I said I it was about 3.3 and that was a guess because I didn't do the math. It is probably much less when taking into account the minus 7 loss on the sack and the mulitible 1 yard gains. But again that is just a guess and again this threat is not about yards per attempt. Read the thread.

By the same arguement you are making, if the Eagles reciever had caught that ball, If Moss hadn't fumbled that ball,If Arizona had made that kick and if Miami didn't throw that inteception, and If that Jets reciever didn't drop that ball things would be really really different wouldn't they.
i dont live in fantasy, "if this and if that" doesnt win football games, its obvious to me that 300 yard rushing helped us win this game, not a bunch of what "if's" football is played for 60 minutes anything can happen but when you start talking about what could have happened it doesnt mean we could have won or lose now does it? you make no sense to talk about what if, "if" we could have still won the game, maybe he catches it and landry lays the wood and he fumbles it and Springs picks it up and returns it for a td :rant:

Indeed sir, you're statements are amazingly convincing.

You are amazingly correct.

The coaches have been pushing for "Balance", and we've actually had that in many games.

This game we did not have balance.

Now, lets look at some other "Stats".

Oh looky here....Nearly 300 rushing yards. Hmmm, that's odd.

Now lets take these stats all together. The rest of the season, we've actually ran it rather balanced, with somewhere between 45-55% of one and the other. This time, we ran the ball a lot more. And in doing so, we got 4 yards from 300.

Could it be that, you know, our running game was working very well today against the jets, we were picking up great yardage...espicially towards the end of the game when we were getting 4 or 5 yards a run and thus kept running it down their throat (Thus largely skewing your numbers)...and thus we kept up with it?

GRRRR STUPID COACHES! They never adjust to the game at hand! GRRR...wait, crap, they did adjust. STUPID COACHES! They never stick with the game plan, grr!

I'm asking you to answer a simple question.

You started the thread. You took the time to total up the runs vs. passes. You took the time to do the math while subjectively eliminating the 3 best plays.

Asking you to share the actual numbers hardly seems like I'm trying to indict your character.

It may be a simple question but it doesn't have relavance to the Thread does it?? You are free to make those calculations and start a different thread but this thread is about the predictable pattern of our offense. And it's unproductive nature on third downs. Nothing at all about yardage. Nothing.

Sorry I am a bit punch drunk. It's been a battle today. I apologize. I will run those numbers. I only meant to say that as much negative responses that I have recieved today I just thought it would be considered more genuine if I wasn't the one doing the math so there would be no questions of it's authenticity. That's all.
Are you in the wrong thread OM. I never stated any stats concerning yards per 1st down did I??

Those 2 posts were 13 minutes apart. What happened?

Quote by One Shot- if not for the 1st kickoff going for 6 the game would have been easier to manage but atleast we won right?

I am not the one that brought up the "ifs" I was showing you that by that logic one could debate that other possibilities and outcomes could be rethought also. You simply can't have it one way man.

It may be a simple question but it doesn't have relavance to the Thread does it?? You are free to make those calculations and start a different thread but this thread is about the predictable pattern of our offense. And it's unproductive nature on third downs. Nothing at all about yardage. Nothing.

Dude. Is there more than one of you using that account?

Quote by One Shot- if not for the 1st kickoff going for 6 the game would have been easier to manage but atleast we won right?

I am not the one that brought up the "ifs" I was showing you that by that logic one could debate that other possibilities and outcomes could be rethought also. You simply can't have it one way man.

Archived