Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington offensive game plan easy to read. (merged)

cozmikbuffalo

I would like to look into it a little more. I would like to see how much we run on first down with the lead.

Like I said before our two biggest plays in the passing game have come on first down.

I think what frustrates me more is that when the d has a turnover or we come up with a big play we ram it right into the middle of the field. I would love to see a play down the field.

Also I thought we would have seen more of that after the eagles game when late we missed that long one. (of course there is the line issue with the right side being decimated by injuries)

One more thought why don't we see more role outs with Jason? It would get him some more time and allow the receivers to get open.

Good work.

Taking those additional 2 games into account, my trusty abacus calculates as follows over the first 8 games:

210 1st down plays = 119 runs, 91 passes

First down runs: 57%

First down passes: 43%

In the Jets game, the numbers were:

First down runs: 79%

First down passes: 21%

Good work OM. Also, I put this in another thread, but I feel it applies here as well. I have been noticing people griping that we run too much, the offense isn't balanced, blah blah blah.

Through 8 games (per nfl.com) the Skins have 228 pass attempts and 257 rush attempts. That looks pretty balanced to me.

I would like to look into it a little more. I would like to see how much we run on first down with the lead.

Like I said before our two biggest plays in the passing game have come on first down.

I think what frustrates me more is that when the d has a turnover or we come up with a big play we ram it right into the middle of the field. I would love to see a play down the field.

Also I thought we would have seen more of that after the eagles game when late we missed that long one. (of course there is the line issue with the right side being decimated by injuries)

One more thought why don't we see more role outs with Jason? It would get him some more time and allow the receivers to get open.

Don't disagree with any of that.

Probably once or twice per game a situation will come up (like we've just gotten a turnover) when I think we're going to go over the top to try to consolidate the momentum immediately.

There were a couple of times in the Jets game where I wrongly predicted we'd at least go over the medium middle on 1st, but did not.

Memory says that Gibbs used to do that more often than he does now ... although that could be memories from seasons later in Gibbs I when we were already an established winner.

It's one of the signs I've been looking for that he's getting comfortable enough with where his team is that he's willing to "take shots" more often, as he used to say, without concerns over possible negative plays (sacks, INT's) holding him back. He may NEVER get back to that point, but I'm not sold on that thought quite yet. I've seen him take shots often enough over the past couple years to think he's just not quite ready to go balls out with this group yet.

I know that will make some people's hair burn around here, but to me it's just an often frustrating (as a fan) part of the process of building a team prepared to put together consistent, fundamentally sound performances week in and week out.

Good work OM. Also, I put this in another thread, but I feel it applies here as well. I have been noticing people griping that we run too much, the offense isn't balanced, blah blah blah.

Through 8 games (per nfl.com) the Skins have 228 pass attempts and 257 rush attempts. That looks pretty balanced to me.

You'll like this post from earlier in the thread, then. ;)

Just for grins, thought I'd take a look at the run/pass ratio the team has featured through the first 8 games. Note that this is for ALL downs, I haven't broken it out beyond that yet.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=WAS

228 passes

257 runs

And since we don't generally just put a stat out there on ES w/o even a cursory look under the surface ...

1) those stats include 23 runs by Jason Campbell in the rushing totals. Having watched each of those, my recollection/impression is that around a half-dozen have been called runs, i.e., QB sneaks on short yardage.

2) they've been sacked 20 times, which need to be added to the number of pass plays called.

Taking those (admittedly estimated on #1) numbers into account, the pass/run ratio for the first half of the year looks something like this:

228 passes (+ approx. 17 Campbell scrambles + 20 sacks) = 265 called passes.

257 runs (- approx. 17 Campbell scrambles) = 240 called runs.

Friggin' Redskins pass too much. :cool:

Thanks for the numbers, maxiumone.

Here's what I had for the first down plays in the two games you missed:

Green Bay 17 run/14 pass

New England 5 run/18 pass

So essentially, in terms of first down run/pass ratio, the Jets game was an anomaly.

As was the New England game.

I find it interesting that our best game to date is the Detroit game and it was right down the middle.

Archived