Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington offensive game plan easy to read. (merged)

cozmikbuffalo

I just tallied up the amount of runs we had on first down and the number of passes.

During the standard game time we had 21 runs, 3 passes and one sack.

In overtime we had 3 runs and 1 pass.

Total is 24 runs and 4 passes on first downs.

I thought the idea was to have balance, there is no balance here. And it would be very easy to make an effective game plan against this generic offensive scheme.

I did not tally up the 3 and outs but I believe there were at leat 3 of those. And then there were the 1st and goals that turned into field goals, 2 of them.

The Jets were 67% effective on 3rd downs in the first half, we were 33% effective.

Overall we ended up being 33% effective overall, the Jets 61%.

To say there is a problem with our offenive philosophy is obvious. So, who should take responsibility. Should we blame the O-line, no. Should we blame Jason Campbell, no. He only had 23 attempts at passing the ball to 48 attempts running the ball and half of those were on first downs.

Predictable, absolutely. Now, I know I am going to be chastised for this thread. But, these are the facts and against a 1-7 team no less.

To say we need to try some play action passing more often is a no brainer.

Gibbs ability to continue doing something that doesn't work makes me sadly feel like it is time to make a change. Not hang on like Joe did with Brunell until it becomes so painfully obvious. But then again I think it already is to that point. My opinion.

They kept running the ball because it was WORKING. If it's so predictable, the Jets would've stopped it. Knowing a play is coming is all fine and dandy, but now you have to stop it, and the Jets couldn't.

It was working to a point. It got better as the game progressed as far as yards per carry. However, that doesn't change the fact that many times it didn't work or just managed to get us in to field goal range. Luckily they have a very poor run D so we were able to get good run blocking. The OP's main point is valid. Most games we play we end up being relatively predictable (except for the Lions game...and look how we did in that one).

If the OP's numbers are right, my guess is that's a departure from the run/pass ratio over the course of the season. If so it would seem the fact the Jets were among the weakest in the league against the run coming in makes the Skins decision to feature it not that surprising.

That said ... like everyone here I suspect there were three or four times on 1st down in this game I was calling for them to go over the top. :)

8 outta 10 times the defense knows whats coming. You gotta understand this. Its the NFL its about execution

You have to be kidding me. The defense can try and guess what the offense is going to bring based on their formation, etc. But the game history or history of the opponent's past game plans comes into play. When you have a team that mixes it up, shows different things on different downs and in different formations, audibles, etc then the defense has to try and adjust accordingly and play it as best they can. When you have a team that does very predictable things, then yes many times the defense is pretty much going to know for sure what is coming. Execution is important, but NO team can do the same thing over and over and expect to consistently win.

We attempted passes just about half of what the Jets did. We abandoned going to Cooley for a long time even though he was being effective. And we completely stopped calling Sellers number after he dropped that one ball. Even though he was being effective. We missed on Thrash and I believe he could have fought more for that ball. Oh , critisisms are only for BL on this board.

It still amazes me just how few three receiver sets we run. We almost never spread the field and I think it's the biggest reason we have such a hard time generating big plays and scoring points.

I thought I saw quite a few today. Or I could be confusing it with the first "look" Saunders shows before the formation morphs into something else.

If I'm not mistaken, one of Portis' big runs came out of the 3 wr formation.

:helmet:

With the exception of 3 longish runs somewhere around 3.3 yards.

:laugh:

I assume since you eliminated the 3 best plays before giving an answer, you also eliminated the worst 3?

How about just giving a straight answer and letting folks decide for themselves what they mean?

They kept running the ball because it was WORKING. If it's so predictable, the Jets would've stopped it. Knowing a play is coming is all fine and dandy, but now you have to stop it, and the Jets couldn't.
:notworthy i couldnt have said it better myself, if it aint broke why fix it and to think they won this game running the ball something that i believe is redskins football

:laugh:

I assume since you eliminated the 3 best plays before giving an answer, you also eliminated the worst 3?

How about just giving a straight answer and letting folks decide for themselves what they mean?

How about you do the math yourself so there is no doubt in your mind since you are bent on making me out to be a hater.

I thought I saw quite a few today. Or I could be confusing it with the first "look" Saunders shows before the formation morphs into something else.

If I'm not mistaken, one of Portis' big runs came out of the 3 wr formation.

:helmet:

Yes, and if memory serves, it came right after we did a WR slant on 1st down for decent yards. Passing setting up the run. Not bad, eh?

How about you do the math yourself so there is no doubt in your mind since you are bent on making me out to be a hater.

I'm asking you to answer a simple question.

You started the thread. You took the time to total up the runs vs. passes. You took the time to do the math while subjectively eliminating the 3 best plays.

Asking you to share the actual numbers hardly seems like I'm trying to indict your character.

I just tallied up the amount of runs we had on first down and the number of passes.

During the standard game time we had 21 runs, 3 passes and one sack.

In overtime we had 3 runs and 1 pass.

Total is 24 runs and 4 passes on first downs.

I thought the idea was to have balance, there is no balance here. And it would be very easy to make an effective game plan against this generic offensive scheme.

I did not tally up the 3 and outs but I believe there were at leat 3 of those. And then there were the 1st and goals that turned into field goals, 2 of them.

The Jets were 67% effective on 3rd downs in the first half, we were 33% effective.

Overall we ended up being 33% effective overall, the Jets 61%.

To say there is a problem with our offenive philosophy is obvious. So, who should take responsibility. Should we blame the O-line, no. Should we blame Jason Campbell, no. He only had 23 attempts at passing the ball to 48 attempts running the ball and half of those were on first downs.

Predictable, absolutely. Now, I know I am going to be chastised for this thread. But, these are the facts and against a 1-7 team no less.

To say we need to try some play action passing more often is a no brainer.

Gibbs ability to continue doing something that doesn't work makes me sadly feel like it is time to make a change. Not hang on like Joe did with Brunell until it becomes so painfully obvious. But then again I think it already is to that point. My opinion.

Did you read the news this week? The team is rededicating itself to the run. And the majority of teams run on first down, especially when the game is a close one.

Archived