Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Len Shapiro : Coaching Is Not for Gibbs These Days (Mod formatted title)

ccsl2

You can stick your head in the sand and wave pom poms until the cows come home, but it is not going to change what we are witnessing on the field. Get real, the Pats just throttle us 52-7 and we squeaked by 2 of the weakest teams in the league and gave away 2 other wins. We're a very soft 4-3. Kind of hard to see the forests through all those trees, now isn't it?

Thank you for saying that :applause:

Accurate assessment and exactly how I feel too...

You can stick your head in the sand and wave pom poms until the cows come home, but it is not going to change what we are witnessing on the field. Get real, the Pats just throttle us 52-7 and we squeaked by 2 of the weakest teams in the league and gave away 2 other wins. We're a very soft 4-3. Kind of hard to see the forests through all those trees, now isn't it?

Thank you for saying that :applause:

Accurate assessment and exactly how I feel too...

This writer has balls. Gibbs the second is basically worse than Norv Turner. I can bet that Norv will be taking his team to the playoffs. What has Gibbs done? Nothing. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, but it's our defense that's great. Credit goes to Gregg Williams, who actually knows how to coach.

Norv didn't build the team he will likely be taking to the playoffs, he inherited it. Inaccurate and invalid comparison.

No disagreement in that Williams is a very good and knowledgable coach. But for you to make a cheapshot statement that Gibbs doesn't know how to coach shows your ignorance of the game as a whole.

This writer has balls. Gibbs the second is basically worse than Norv Turner. I can bet that Norv will be taking his team to the playoffs. What has Gibbs done? Nothing. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, but it's our defense that's great. Credit goes to Gregg Williams, who actually knows how to coach.

Norv didn't build the team he will likely be taking to the playoffs, he inherited it. Inaccurate and invalid comparison.

No disagreement in that Williams is a very good and knowledgable coach. But for you to make a cheapshot statement that Gibbs doesn't know how to coach shows your ignorance of the game as a whole.

all 3 posts of yours..I am afraid...are spot on. there appear to be two core problems that have persisted:

- this team, while improving, still doesn't haven't a scouting/personnel dept that finds the right players and stocks the roster

- we have a fairly smart, "modern" coaching mindset on defense.....we have an offense that just can't play to the level of the best teams these days. we don't have the talent and the coaches default to old formulas to compensate.

as you state.....the facts speak for themselves. I would assess us as having turned a corner this season....but still a ways from raching into the upper echelons. that will take someone with smarts pulling the personnel strings...across the entire roster in a manner that times thing correctly. that's the biggest problem in my book...we find talent...but it is not orchestrated in way that all phases of the game are staffed with players executing to a high, physical, athletic level. nothing ever seems to ccome together at the same time for at least one season.

all 3 posts of yours..I am afraid...are spot on. there appear to be two core problems that have persisted:

- this team, while improving, still doesn't haven't a scouting/personnel dept that finds the right players and stocks the roster

- we have a fairly smart, "modern" coaching mindset on defense.....we have an offense that just can't play to the level of the best teams these days. we don't have the talent and the coaches default to old formulas to compensate.

as you state.....the facts speak for themselves. I would assess us as having turned a corner this season....but still a ways from raching into the upper echelons. that will take someone with smarts pulling the personnel strings...across the entire roster in a manner that times thing correctly. that's the biggest problem in my book...we find talent...but it is not orchestrated in way that all phases of the game are staffed with players executing to a high, physical, athletic level. nothing ever seems to ccome together at the same time for at least one season.

I posted this before, but I think it bares repeating:

I don't get it. When Gibbs signed back on during the 04 offseason, 99.9% of all Redskins fans were elated, and why? Because the man has proven he is a winner at all levels at more than one sport. We all wanted Gibbs football.

Then, after 04, which was played mostly with Spurrier leftovers, Gibbs football took us to the playoffs and got us a win in 05. Had Brunell not been hurt in the earlier Giants game, I guarentee you we would have seen the Steelers that postseason.

Saunders is hired after that season. With injuries playing a part, we did nothing the first part of the season. Once we got back to Gibbs football, our offensive production increased tremendously. Some say it was the switch at QB or RB, but honestly, the execution and plays were much better. Unfortunately, our banged up D could not close the deal for us for most of those games.

This season, Gibbs and co. were banking on more experience with Saunders system paying off. Notice how we went back to all of the screen passes that everyone said was due to Brunell having a "noodle arm." Truth be told, we aren't playing true Gibbs football.

Now it looks like we will be, and if that is the case, I can only see good things coming from that. We still have a banged up o-line that needs a lot of work. I trust Buges to get that done. He has proven himself as well. I don't expect it to happen over night, not with all of the holes we have to fill. But, this week, I expect the line to look better, and even better the following week, and so on.

All of the people who keep saying the game has passed Gibbs by are ignoring the things that are uncontrollable. Because, Gibbs is taking control and working to fix everything he can.

Don't forget that Campbell is still getting his NFL feet wet. So many people were screaming to have him be the starter, yet they don't have the patience to let him get all of the kinks out. There is a reason Gibbs historically didn't like using anything but vets at QB. People want the training wheels taken off, but I don't think most people are ready to handle the bruising that would happen if he was completely unleashed.

Gibbs knows football. He knows what he's doing. Try not to forget that.

I posted this before, but I think it bares repeating:

I don't get it. When Gibbs signed back on during the 04 offseason, 99.9% of all Redskins fans were elated, and why? Because the man has proven he is a winner at all levels at more than one sport. We all wanted Gibbs football.

Then, after 04, which was played mostly with Spurrier leftovers, Gibbs football took us to the playoffs and got us a win in 05. Had Brunell not been hurt in the earlier Giants game, I guarentee you we would have seen the Steelers that postseason.

Saunders is hired after that season. With injuries playing a part, we did nothing the first part of the season. Once we got back to Gibbs football, our offensive production increased tremendously. Some say it was the switch at QB or RB, but honestly, the execution and plays were much better. Unfortunately, our banged up D could not close the deal for us for most of those games.

This season, Gibbs and co. were banking on more experience with Saunders system paying off. Notice how we went back to all of the screen passes that everyone said was due to Brunell having a "noodle arm." Truth be told, we aren't playing true Gibbs football.

Now it looks like we will be, and if that is the case, I can only see good things coming from that. We still have a banged up o-line that needs a lot of work. I trust Buges to get that done. He has proven himself as well. I don't expect it to happen over night, not with all of the holes we have to fill. But, this week, I expect the line to look better, and even better the following week, and so on.

All of the people who keep saying the game has passed Gibbs by are ignoring the things that are uncontrollable. Because, Gibbs is taking control and working to fix everything he can.

Don't forget that Campbell is still getting his NFL feet wet. So many people were screaming to have him be the starter, yet they don't have the patience to let him get all of the kinks out. There is a reason Gibbs historically didn't like using anything but vets at QB. People want the training wheels taken off, but I don't think most people are ready to handle the bruising that would happen if he was completely unleashed.

Gibbs knows football. He knows what he's doing. Try not to forget that.

:bsflag:

If the Redskins had won or played NE close this article would have been entirely different. Don't be so naieve. Yes, we know there are problems. But you had to know it take longer than a couple years to fix over 10 years of medocrity; we sucked before Snyder bought the damn team -- WITH A GM in charge!!!

I'm willing to give Gibbs until next year and then see how it ends up. If at that time we haven't made progress then I'll sadly bid him so long. We owe Coach the right to finish his five years without all these amateurs who don't really know what goes on behind closed doors running around with their hair on fire.

I totally disagree with this line of thinking. Would the article have been entirely different had we won or played NE closer? Of course it would have been; but not because we won or played them closer. The article would have been totally different because it would mean that our coaching staff had been adaptive, aggressive and innovative during a game that required those qualities.

:bsflag:

If the Redskins had won or played NE close this article would have been entirely different. Don't be so naieve. Yes, we know there are problems. But you had to know it take longer than a couple years to fix over 10 years of medocrity; we sucked before Snyder bought the damn team -- WITH A GM in charge!!!

I'm willing to give Gibbs until next year and then see how it ends up. If at that time we haven't made progress then I'll sadly bid him so long. We owe Coach the right to finish his five years without all these amateurs who don't really know what goes on behind closed doors running around with their hair on fire.

I totally disagree with this line of thinking. Would the article have been entirely different had we won or played NE closer? Of course it would have been; but not because we won or played them closer. The article would have been totally different because it would mean that our coaching staff had been adaptive, aggressive and innovative during a game that required those qualities.

People...wake up...31 coaches do not get it done every year! We are 4-3 and have a good chance at being 6-3 over the next two games. This team could get on a roll with a big win at the Jets and beating the Eagles at home. If we go into Dallas 6-3 we have a decent chance.

People...wake up...31 coaches do not get it done every year! We are 4-3 and have a good chance at being 6-3 over the next two games. This team could get on a roll with a big win at the Jets and beating the Eagles at home. If we go into Dallas 6-3 we have a decent chance.

The only thing we can hope is that this article puts a fire into the coaches and players. How they react this Sunday against the Jets will make things a lot clearer about the future of the Joe Gibbs 2 era. Will the players play with unrelenting passion for Joe or will they roll over because they think he can no longer coach. Put down the pitchforks for now. Wait till after the Jets game to see the results of this insult to their coach. If they don't come out fired up like madmen for 60 minutes I think all is lost.:(

How many winning seasons before Snyder and after Gibbs left?

2 out of 6. 33%. Despite the team needing a complete overhaul after Gibbs left the first time.

And arguably the most successful season under Snyder ('99) was his first season in which he had virtually zero say in the makeup of the roster. Since he took over? 1 in 8 seasons. That's 12%.

Think back to '05 and that run into the second round of the playoffs. If you watch this video

you will remember what Joe Gibbs can do. The team plays with passion and commitment to the coaching staff. Or do you forget when the team rattled off 6 straight wins to make the playoffs and defeating Tampa Bay in round one?

A few things....

1) Yes the WP is losing readers, but so is every newspaper in the world. The internet is taking that over completely (duh, what are we all doing here at ES instead of at WP) but the WP has BY FAR the best internet strategy of any traditional newspaper journalism outfit. They know exactly what they are doing with the transition to the digital world and writing "shock" articles is not the answer.

So you can take that conspiracy theory right out the door.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.

The WP crew is in panic mode. Nothing they do is working, they started a RADIO STATION for crying out loud!

And that has failed misserably.

Repeat after me, Shapiro is writing shock articles out of desperation because they need the attention. And so is Wilbon.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's a fact.

The WP crew is in panic mode. Nothing they do is working, they started a RADIO STATION for crying out loud!

And that has failed misserably.

Repeat after me, Shapiro is writing shock articles out of desperation because they need the attention. And so is Wilbon.

How do you know it is FACT? Do you work for the Washington Post?

By writing what they wrote, do you think it will drive circulation up THAT much? The WP may be worried about circulation, but I doubt the editors sat around a table and said, "I know how we can increase circulation...let's write an article about how JG should retire!". If that is the case, I know a lot of papers, magazines, and radio hosts who are desperate for ratings.... :rolleyes:

It's a fact that their circulation is down, I don't need to work for the WP to know their circulation numbers.

The editors don't tell the writers what to write.

I didnt question the circulation. I questioned your entire premise about how they are "panicking" over at the WP and how the writers came up with this brilliant plan to write about JG being washed up as a way of driving up circulation. Simply brilliant.

Archived