Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Movie of All Time

The Invisible Poster

Hands down - The (tragically now out of print) Godfather Epic. This is a combination of I and II, but puts them in chronological order and includes about an extra hour of footage that was edited from the original versions. The re-inserted DeNiro scenes are fantastic.

Honorable mentions:

Schindler's List

Cyrano (the Depardieu version)

Braveheart

Other Runner-Ups:

The 3 Musketeers (70s version w/ Michael York - don't even remind me of the awful teeny-bop 90s Chris O'Donnell travesty)

Fandango - The best coming of age movie, and I don't even like Costner.

Other:

(Almost Famous and Spinal Tap only for those of us who aspire to be musicians.)

Not an all-time great, but...

Most realistic High School/Teen Movie - Dazed and Confused.

All men die, but not every man really lives.:king:

Top 10 movies of all-time, in my humble opinion. Keep in mind I haven't seen every movie ever made, but I studied film many a year ago. :)

1) The Godfather

2) The Godfather II

3) Pulp Fiction

4) The Exorcist

5) Casablanca

6) The Matrix

7) Amelie

8) Requiem for a Dream

9) Fargo

10) American Beauty

1. Soylent Green

2. THX 1138

3. Dune (long version)

4. Waterworld

5. Fist Of Legend

6. Jason And The Golden Fleece (1963)

7. The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad (1958)

8. The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

9. When Worlds Collide

10. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

Honorable Mention: The Matrix

Best movie(s) of all time? Hmm..

Saving Private Ryan...had an effect on me that few films have matched.

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring...an epic version of an epic book. Many believe that when the trilogy is complete it will surpass the Godfather trilogy.

Breakfast Club...for us children of the '80s, this film (to me) said it all.

Other 'great' films:

BlackHawk Down...almost equalled Private Ryans 'effect' on me..actually, in some ways I think it's a superior 'combat' piece.

Princess Bride..great flick.

Clerks: one of the greatest comedies I have ever seen...classic dialogue.

Top 10 as of this moment (and memory): not in order and not necessarily favorite ten; just ten best movies)

Star wars (when it first came out it was revolutionary) Plus I was in the back seat of a car at a drive-in theater :D ) Maybe it was the drive in, ah "atmosphere", but....

Braveheart

The Matrix

Sparticus

The Great Excape

Apollo 13

Shawshank Redemption

Operation petticoat or Father goose (I have to include at least one of these comedies with Cary Grant; I could watch them all the time and never tire of them)

Bladerunner

Lord of the ring (all have to be grouped together)

Other mentionables:

The big red one

The devils brigade

The battle of the bulge

Enemy Mine

Glory

Highlander

The untouchables

field of dreams

Kelly's heroes

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The good the bad the ugly

Unforgiven

The sons of katie Elder

El dorado

Midway

Bull durham

Witness

Dune

Independence Day

Alien

MASH

Six Days Seven Nights

The Fugitive

Original Robin Hood was always a favorite as was the three musketeers

** Mr. Smith goes to Washington and that one that ALWAYS gets played at Christmas should be up there; but I could never vote for them.... (It's a wonderful life I think it's called :puke: )

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by riggo-toni

Hands down - The (tragically now out of print) Godfather Epic. This is a combination of I and II, but puts them in chronological order and includes about an extra hour of footage that was edited from the original versions. The re-inserted DeNiro scenes are fantastic.

Honorable mentions:

Schindler's List

Cyrano (the Depardieu version)

Braveheart

Other Runner-Ups:

The 3 Musketeers (70s version w/ Michael York - don't even remind me of the awful teeny-bop 90s Chris O'Donnell travesty)

Fandango - The best coming of age movie, and I don't even like Costner.

Other:

(Almost Famous and Spinal Tap only for those of us who aspire to be musicians.)

Not an all-time great, but...

Most realistic High School/Teen Movie - Dazed and Confused.

All men die, but not every man really lives.:king:

RE: Godfather Epic

I don't know about all-time best but that is indeed a great film. About two or three months ago they showed it endlessly on cable. IFC or some such... Great film...I've watched over and over.

Coppola is a master.

Wait a minute, the Godfather I and II are surely among the best. I retract my previous statement. Godfather epic is certainly in that category.

Originally posted by Muskrat

Saving Private Ryan...had an effect on me that few films have matched.

I agree, though I didn't put it in my top 4 or 5. My favorite war, movie without a doubt. It had a huge effect on me. I vividly remember being stunned as I sat through the opening sequence. A small realization that I didn't know a damn thing about war (like I thought I did).

My Grandfather fought in Normandy, though after D-Day. He went in after the beachhead was established and fought against the Germens who had managed to get themselves cut off in the peninsula.

Now, when I'm getting impatient waiting on an elderly person on the road (or anywhere else), I find myself wondering what they might have gone through as a youth. I'll feel like a real a$$ for getting mad at a vet ... or maybe a vets widow ... because they are costing me a few seconds that I'd likely waste away later anyway. :)

Originally posted by Brave

I agree, though I didn't put it in my top 4 or 5. My favorite war, movie without a doubt. It had a huge effect on me. I vividly remember being stunned as I sat through the opening sequence. A small realization that I didn't know a damn thing about war (like I thought I did).

My Grandfather fought in Normandy, though after D-Day. He went in after the beachhead was established and fought against the Germens who had managed to get themselves cut off in the peninsula.

Now, when I'm getting impatient waiting on an elderly person on the road (or anywhere else), I find myself wondering what they might have gone through as a youth. I'll feel like a real a$$ for getting mad at a vet ... or maybe a vets widow ... because they are costing me a few seconds that I'd likely waste away later anyway. :)

Same here, that movie may not be one of my top 5 either, but it really did affect the way I see things.

THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE-- the greatest ever.

How is it that nobody mentioned this movie?????? Outstanding in every way! How about that Sinatra! And who'd have thought Angela Lansbury (murder she wrote) was once good looking?

other fav's:

BUFFALO 66 is also a modern-day classic. if you like dark humor check it out.

2001 a SPACE ODDYSEY (or just about any Kubrick)

WILLY WONKA and the CHOCOLATE FACTORY

SEVEN SAMURAI and HIGH AND LOW both by Kurosawa

DAS BOOT (only with subtitles though)

RUSHMORE

TRUE ROMANCE

12 ANGRY MEN (with Fonda, not the remake)

FIDDLER on the ROOF (the only musical I have ever liked)

TRUMAN SHOW

There have been so many truly great films over the years that I don't think anyone could ever name just one. So in no particular order....

Citizen Kane

Paths of Glory

A Clockwork Orange

School Daze

Cool Hand Luke

Barry Lyndon

Lolita(oh he11, just add in almost anything by Stanley Kubrick)

The Color Purple

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Saving Private Ryan

The Professional

American Beauty

I won't even attempt a 'best of' list as I'm a bigtime movie buff and I could agonize for days...but here are some of my less than mainstream favorites:

Raising Arizona

Little Big Man

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Unforgiven

Field of Dreams

Dead of Night (must see old British horror)

Patton

Tora Tora Tora

Fargo

Kingpin (sorry, I'm not proud of it!)

Alien

Flight of the Phoenix

The Incredible Shrinking Man

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (either version)

The Thing from Another World (either version)

Okay, here it is.

Glenn's Fave Movie List: The Top 10.

Aliens – My all-time favorite film. Without a doubt. Ridley Scott's Alien was a damn fine movie, and I certainly liked the hell out of it. But James Cameron's hyper-kinetic follow-up is a superior piece of work. The best sequel ever produced, in my estimation.

Terminator 2 – James Cameron is my favorite filmmaker and here he ups the ante considerably over what he accomplished in his grungy, low budget, early '80s sci-fi classic. Groundbreaking CGI, breakneck car chases, thrilling shoot-outs and genuinely affecting storytelling all can be found in ample amounts in this remarkably well-paced 2-and-a-quarter-hour epic.

The Terminator – What it lacks in pyrotechnics & state-of-the-art FX (especially when compared against its mega-buck sequel) it more than makes up for in efficiency and ingenuity. Who knew that robots could be this scary? James Cameron certainly knew. And in his capable hands, The Terminator, which easily could've been just another B-level piece of trash, becomes a genuinely frightening tale of nuclear destiny and technology run horribly amok.

RoboCop – Paul Verhoeven's best film -- by a mile -- as well as one of the most violent films ever made. This flick is so unabashedly gory that it makes most of Sam Peckinpah's stuff look downright tame by comparison. However, what really makes this film stand out all these years later is its witty lampooning of Corporate America and The Media, as well as it's well-told tale of one man's circuitous quest for revenge and redemption.

Manhunter – Based upon Thomas Harris' novel Red Dragon, this largely overlooked prequel to 1990's Silence of the Lambs is one hell of movie. In fact, as much as I enjoyed Silence, I liked Manhunter even more. Director Michael Mann has certainly made a number of great films since this artful serial killer thriller hit the screen (e.g. Heat, The Insider), but Manhunter remains his magnum opus, in my opinion.

Die Hard – Crossbreed Dirty Harry with The Towering Inferno and what do you get? One of the best -- if not the very best -- of the modern cop movie spectaculars. Thanks to ace action director John McTiernan, the film is perfectly cast and brilliantly photographed & edited.

Ghostbusters – Bill Murray. Dan Ackroyd. Harold Ramis. Rick Moranis. Does it get any better than this? This flick is hilarious and, at times, pretty damn scary.

Poltergeist – I don't know whether Tobe Hooper, who gets the "Directed by" credit on this film, actually called the shots or not. Hell, maybe the rumors are true and Steven Spielberg, who was supposed to be just producing and co-writing the movie, took over the directing reins from the eminently green Hooper. Either way, this is one truly frightening film. I don't think I went anywhere near the TV for about six months after seeing this flick!

The Breakfast Club – Before John Hughes sold his soul to The Devil and starting making mindless kiddie fare (e.g. Curly Sue, Dennis the Menace, Baby's Day Out), he used to make great teen flicks. In fact, he made the best teen flicks. Sixteen Candles. Pretty in Pink. Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Some Kind of Wonderful. But the best of the bunch was The Breakfast Club, where Hughes mixes his trademark smart-aleck comedy with surprisingly affecting drama.

Blade Runner – I'm talking about the original 1982 theatrical cut here, not Ridley Scott's revisionist, incoherent Director's Cut that was released in 1991. Sadly, the original cut of the film can no longer be found on VHS, and only the Director's Cut has ever been released on DVD. Harrison Ford's voice-over narration in the theatrical cut may have struck some as excessive, but at least it explained story elements and personal items about Ford's character in the film that would have gone unknown otherwise. In addition, the film's original ending might have seemed a tad too "upbeat" to some, but at least it was a real ending! The Director's Cut merely fades to black and rolls the end credits, leaving true narrative resolution of any kind maddeningly out of reach.

Hey Glenn, do you have a robot fetish or what? :)

You're top four films are about, or at least have, robots in them.

What does this mean?

By the way, did you catch "Red Dragon" at the theaters this past fall? I also saw "Manhunter" but found "Red Dragon" superior in every way. Same story, but Hopkins makes a better Lector and I thought Ed Norton made a better Graham than Will Peterson. If you haven't seen it ... check it out.

Originally posted by Brave

Hey Glenn, do you have a robot fetish or what? :)

You're top four films are about, or at least have, robots in them.

What does this mean?

By the way, did you catch "Red Dragon" at the theaters this past fall? I also saw "Manhunter" but found "Red Dragon" superior in every way. Same story, but Hopkins makes a better Lector and I thought Ed Norton made a better Graham than Will Peterson. If you haven't seen it ... check it out.

I saw both movies, Red Dragon was awsome. I read the book as well, and they did a much better job of making the movie out of the book than they did with Hannible. I loved the book Hannible, but the movie was average. Red Dragon was just as good as the book.

Archived