Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOXSports.com Jason Whitlock: NFL buffoons leaving terrible legacy

TC4

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7343980?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10539

NFL buffoons leaving terrible legacy

Jason Whitlock

FOXSports.com

You get one NFL Truth today. Watching Chad Johnson and Larry Johnson undermine their respective head coaches, Marvin Lewis and Herm Edwards, on Sunday gave me a singular focus, forced me to contemplate an uncomfortable truth.

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture have given NFL owners and coaches a justifiable reason to whiten their rosters. That will be the legacy left by Chad, Larry and Tank Johnson, Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, Michael Vick and all the other football bojanglers.

In terms of opportunity for American-born black athletes, they're going to leave the game in far worse shape than they found it.

It's already starting to happen. A little-publicized fact is that the Colts and the Patriots — the league's model franchises — are two of the whitest teams in the NFL. If you count rookie receiver Anthony Gonzalez, the Colts opened the season with an NFL-high 24 white players on their 53-man roster. Toss in linebacker Naivote Taulawakeiaho "Freddie" Keiaho and 47 percent of Tony Dungy's defending Super Bowl-champion roster is non-African-American. Bill Belichick's Patriots are nearly as white, boasting a 23-man non-African-American roster, counting linebacker Tiaina "Junior" Seau and backup quarterback Matt Gutierrez.

***Click the link at the top for full story***

Call me odd, but there is something I find irresistibly hilarious about actually counting the white people on a football team.

I guess it's a good thing Whitlock is black, or this thread would be even uglier than it's gonna get.

Now it's time for the ever coveted popcorn smiley. :munchout:

Honestly I dont like the gimmicks Chad Johnson has or outrageous things athlete X does or says. I know lots of people enjoy the entertainment of some talented wide receiver acting like a fool, and I know Chad Johnson doesn't have any other intent than to have fun being the "class clown" so to speak. I just think that professional athletes should act like professionals.

I think players should follow the example of players like Darrell Green and Art Monk who played the game with dignity. I'm not saying never show passion, but there is a difference between pumping your fist in excitement when you return an interception for a touchdown, and dancing like a retard. Just the same there is a difference between spiking the ball after a touchdown and going to the goalpost to pick up a planted cell phone and pretend to make a call to someone- or better yet, put on a jacket that says "Future HOF?" on it and embody everything that a real hall of famer shouldn't. The problem is whenever someone brings up playing with dignity and being the better man everyone jumps on it...

"Look out, Mr.Serious is trying to ruin everyone's fun".

Think of football like a business- you work in sales. Scoring a touchdown is like closing a sale. Some people get off the phone excited and say "Yessss!" just as some professionals in the NFL spike a ball or cheer after scoring. One thing you won't see the person doing is putting down the phone and start dancing or maybe run to the other side of the office building to pick up a prop that says "Future management material?" on it. You get that in the NFL.

Linking it to race is retarded though. Just because white people aren't dancing all over the place doesn't mean they aren't bad role models/teammates.

Honestly I dont like the gimmicks Chad Johnson has or outrageous things athlete X does or says. I know lots of people enjoy the entertainment of some talented wide receiver acting like a fool, and I know Chad Johnson doesn't have any other intent than to have fun being the "class clown" so to speak. I just think that professional athletes should act like professionals.

I think players should follow the example of players like Darrell Green and Art Monk who played the game with dignity. I'm not saying never show passion, but there is a difference between pumping your fist in excitement when you return an interception for a touchdown, and dancing like a retard. Just the same there is a difference between spiking the ball after a touchdown and going to the goalpost to pick up a planted cell phone and pretend to make a call to someone- or better yet, put on a jacket that says "Future HOF?" on it and embody everything that a real hall of famer shouldn't. The problem is whenever someone brings up playing with dignity and being the better man everyone jumps on it...

"Look out, Mr.Serious is trying to ruin everyone's fun".

Think of football like a business- you work in sales. Scoring a touchdown is like closing a sale. Some people get off the phone excited and say "Yessss!" just as some professionals in the NFL spike a ball or cheer after scoring. One thing you won't see the person doing is putting down the phone and start dancing or maybe run to the other side of the office building to pick up a prop that says "Future management material?" on it. You get that in the NFL.

Linking it to race is retarded though. Just because white people aren't dancing all over the place doesn't mean they aren't bad role models/teammates.

He didn't link it to race, if you read the article closer, you'll see where he specifically writes acting like a fool is not a thing directed by race.

I don't know how much heat he is going to get for this..but...

Can you EVEN imagine if this came out of a white man's mouth.

I don't care EXACTLY what he said...or what he meant..or if you look real close.

If Whitey says this he is already fired and crucified..and then punished !!

I sorta agreee with him...But thats not my point.

He didn't link it to race, if you read the article closer, you'll see where he specifically writes acting like a fool is not a thing directed by race.

He said...

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture ...

He didn't say "Players" caught up in hip hop...

Jason Whitlock is a friggin racist or attention whore this guy is ALWAYS ****ing about black people.

I don't care if he is black.

He isn't happy with Black America...Should he be ??

he is apart of a group he wants MORE for...and wants this group to require more from themselves...

And he is an attention whore !

He said...

African-American football players caught up in the rebellion and buffoonery of hip hop culture ...

He didn't say "Players" caught up in hip hop...

This is a place people shouldn't go. Once you start labeling people by color/ethnicity than that's no good. Theres a line, and Whitlock crossed it. :2cents:

I don't know how much heat he is going to get for this..but...

Can you EVEN imagine if this came out of a white man's mouth.

I don't care EXACTLY what he said...or what he meant..or if you look real close.

If Whitey says this he is already fired and crucified..and then punished !!

I sorta agreee with him...But thats not my point.

What IS your point?

While I agree with his general sentiment of there being too many damn knuckleheads in the league, he looks like a complete moron to me for blaming hip hop.

This has nothing to do with music, it's a generational thing that socio economic factors can be blamed just as much as the constant hype and special treatment gifted athletes get in our society.

As a society we have gotten away from holding people accountable, whether it's our own children, friends, relatives, co-workers, or the leaders of this nation. We're too quick to accept and excuse peoples shortcomings and pro football isn't an exception.

I get sick of hearing the black and white stuff , there is so much more wrong inthis country and for people to still focus anything on black and white is just dumb , every race has idiots , every race has racists , every race has good people , everyone , black people , white people , freakin green people , whoever it is , just stop crying about it and do your thing

Call me odd, but there is something I find irresistibly hilarious about actually counting the white people on a football team.

Agreed.

I actually remember being surprised when I found out that Darrel Green was black. (And then feeling guilty that I was surprised.) I'd never paid attention. It wasn't important.

To me, he was Burgundy.

I get sick of hearing the black and white stuff , there is so much more wrong inthis country and for people to still focus anything on black and white is just dumb , every race has idiots , every race has racists , every race has good people , everyone , black people , white people , freakin green people , whoever it is , just stop crying about it and do your thing

I disagree. Every green person i've met is a friggen idiot

Agreed.

I actually remember being surprised when I found out that Darrel Green was black. (And then feeling guilty that I was surprised.) I'd never paid attention. It wasn't important.

To me, he was Burgundy.

Burgandy with a hint of gold!

so you're saying Joe Horn was closing a sale when he took out the cell phone during his touchdown celebration?

While I agree with his general sentiment of there being too many damn knuckleheads in the league, he looks like a complete moron to me for blaming hip hop.

This has nothing to do with music, it's a generational thing that socio economic factors can be blamed just as much as the constant hype and special treatment gifted athletes get in our society.

As a society we have gotten away from holding people accountable, whether it's our own children, friends, relatives, co-workers, or the leaders of this nation. We're too quick to accept and excuse peoples shortcomings and pro football isn't an exception.

Who can argue this statement ??

Another very good point.

The race thing has really slowed the country down.Many WHite and Black folk are still just to invested in what color they are. I have found that BOTH black and White want to have separation...To be considered different. ya know...Their own group.And that seems to come before other commonality (is that a word?)

I personally have never owned a slave.I have raised my child to be color blind.This is after being raised in a home where I was kicked out for having a BLACK friend. So the tide can be changed. But only one parent at a time.

Can you imagine how cool things would be around here if we didn't care about color.

I happen to believe that humans need to hate something.Some kind of weird stress relief...Some way to blame others for personal shortcomings.So I don't think the day will come when we are all as one.

If it's not color...We will start hatin people with big noses or peeps with hair on their knuckles...or whatever.

While I think you make some valid points, I believe Whitlock is actually referring to "Hip Hop Culture", not "Hip Hop Music". Hip Hop Culture is one in which does NOT hold "people accountable, whether it's our own children, friends, relatives, co-workers, or the leaders of this nation". Hip Hop culture is one in which people show no remorse for their actions, show no respect towards others, is all about Me Me Me, and honestly it is a disgrace to even refer to it as a "culture" - yet so many people embrace it as being something they want to be a part of. It's all about the "bling" - and that is sad.

Is the NFL affected negatively to some degree by Hip Hop Culture? Yes. Does race factor into the definition of this "culture"? Yes, of course it does to some extent. To use a familiar saying we should all know: "It is what it is".

Totally off-topic but I stil chuckle when I remember your baghead avatar. :)

Archived