Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Ex-Cowboy Ron Springs has 'no hope' of surviving (Mod Formatted Title)

ddyork

No hope? There's always hope! Dr.'s are just men..they can't heal anyone..they can only treat. God is able! My prayers to the Springs family. Never lose hope! Hope Springs eternal! Here's to you Shawn..be strong and let your Dad know who he is to you. Hopefully things will turn around.

Horrible horrible horrible thing to happen to the Springs family. My thoughts go out to you at this moment.

This smell highly of malpractice. Some nurse probably gave him the wrong type of iv fluid. Diabetics need a special kind I think.

Lets all hope for a miracle.

I am litterally tearing up reading about this story. This is awful. I think I remember seeing Ron Springs and his teamate who donated the kidney. After such an act of ultimate friendship, it must be devastating to be facing such a situation.

All of our hearts and prayers to the Springs family.

Hate to hear the even poorer prognosis (even though it has rightly been noted that it comes from "someone").

This article about the Springs from the Washington Post may have been linked before, but as someone who has worked as an RN, I'm especially impressed with the part about Mr Springs talking to others about the dangers of not watching for and attentively treating diabetes:

He [Ron Springs] was in New York last month because leading diabetes foundations were so taken by his ordeal and his subsequent candor that they asked him to explain, virtually naked in front of the world, how he did not care for his body and how he is paying a high price.

His son calls the consortium the Dream Team, the powerful group of diabetes experts -- the National Kidney Foundation, the National Federation of the Blind, the Amputee Coalition of America, Mended Hearts and the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists -- that saw his father on television after the kidney surgery.

"We've learned a lot over this," Springs said. "You know how difficult it would be for someone who is used to being so strong to come out and do this? Most football players, most guys, period, would crawl into a shell. They wouldn't want anyone to see them like that. My dad is a really strong guy."

In my book? That's one strong man.

I doubt its Staph but you have to wonder what went wrong. Ron was a pro athlete and his body probably has more bounce back than someone more than half his age.

Furthermore I think its pretty classless for someone to comment anonymously to the media that there is "no hope" in the situation.

MRSA is the biggest problem. The hospital I work at puts the patient in a semi-quarantine (have to wear gown and gloves as contact precautions) for the first 48 hours. Blood tests are automatically done and if the pt is cleared for MRSA, then the sign comes off the door and you can go in without gown or gloves.

B Mitch stated that he had heard that there was speculation that the anesthesitics had unplugged his oxygen by mistake and that he had gone without air for 10 minutes. He said someone close to the family told him. He said that most people felt that it was odd for this to happen like this. Either way it is sad, especially if it was a mistake that killed him. God Bless Ron Springs.

I would never beleive B-Mitch. It may be true, then again maybe not. He was a diabetic and maybe he had an adverse reaction to the anesthesia and went into a diabetic coma. We won't know until after he passes.

Mr. Springs went in to a diabetic coma right? If so his kidneys would probably failed. And if that is the problem they can do whatever for him but if He has other problems there not releasing that might contribute to his death. Ron probably didn't really take care of his condition. If you dont then you are doomed. I saw him at the Dallas game on tv and was glad he was doing so well. How sad we might lose a good person.

My grandma died from a diabetic coma and she had other health issuses that contributed to her death. She had lung cancer and cardio problems too. She was beating the cancer but because she didn't take care of ther diabetes she went into a coma. Her glucose level was around 1700.

My father is 53 and has had diabetes since he was 32years old. He has done his best to keep his glucose level and check. He still has all his limbs because he has done well enough to keep this disease in check the best he can. You can even develop alzhemeiers from diabetes. Am just glad he is with me still. I just hope he lives 30 more years.

Shawn Springs I know what you are going thru. I have been there. The light at the end of the tunnel doesn't look good. I just hope your father comes out of this. I wish you and your family the best if worse turns the course. Let GOD be with you and your family.

Dear Shaun Springs, Although you may never even see this I feel compelled to write this, I lost my Dad about 9 years ago he died right in my arms just before Xmas. Some days after he past he came to me in a dream a very vivid dream I had a million questions tears began to roll down my face and I asked him if I would ever see him again and he said "yes". Since then he has come to me several times much the same way I have learned from him and from his many lessons while he was alive to live life really live life. Do and try things you have never done before fish ,camp, rock climb or whatever. I have taken that advice and find my father's spirit with me more and more. Me and my family will pray for you and yours. Negron family

Anybody who would like to know a little more about diabetes could check out the following: http://diabetes.webmd.com/default.htm

It is also important to note that African American and other ethnic groups have an especially high incidence of this disease. You can fill in some very simple info and get a rough idea of your risk factors: Diabetes Risk Test

For those of who have not been touched by this "common" sounding disease, here's some of the reasons it is one of the worst things you and your family can have to deal with. It is basically due to the sugar that your food is converted into not getting moved along and out of your blood and into storage and/or usage. Okay, that means you've got some, maybe one heck of a LOT, of sugar floating around in your blood a little while after you eat. Sounds like not all that terrible a thing, right? Wrong, as it turns out. Like about everything else in the body, there are feed back systems that keep a needed thing from becoming a problem. It's regulated by chemicals, basically... not any kind of particularly conscious control. So if something goes wrong with the regulating systems, very common sounding things like sugar, oxygen, adrenaline, thyroid chemicals, etc., etc. can become, basically, poisonously overabundant.

With too much sugar, that means effects like "corroded" eye cells, nerve cells, kidney cells... well, actually any cells that are fed by the stuff the sugar is being carried around in... your blood. And that, folks, is pretty much every cell in your body. The list of body systems that can be slowly, insidiously "corroded" is about endless. The reason you may have heard about diabetics loosing limbs like Mr. Springs can happen like this: 1st) the sugar hurts the nerves especially in areas like the feet 2nd) you get a sore that you don't feel so much because of the nerve damage 3rd) the bacteria that inevitably gets into the sore gets fed like crazy by all that sugar in your blood 4th) the growing infection is again not felt as much because of the nerve damage...

Nice, huh? It can get WAY out of control before you know it. As Mr. Springs told people, you CAN stop this type of progression. VERY simple blood sugar tests possibly followed by a more specific tests like an HgA1C can clue you into if you or a loved one has a problem. From there it is a huge amount of work to change the way you intake, use, and store sugar. But you can make a very decisive difference in all the nasty stuff listed above.

Ask your doctor when is the last time you (or a loved one) have had a "blood glucose level" done. Especially, but not only, if you fall in the higher risk groups noted above. This is a nice, very straightforward chart you might want to look at.

I think the Springs would agree that one of the best ways to respond to their family struggles is to get the word out. Especially with a surprisingly prevalent and rapidly increasing disease in which it is all about the-earlier-the-better detection and control.

Archived