Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Traffic on 495/95-S after the game...

TODD

I'm thinking of coming up for a game for the first time since I've lived south of D.C. How bad is traffic leaving the game on a Sunday evening? Will I be sitting in traffic through Quantico?

Normally it's a five-hour trip back down here from D.C., so I was wondering how bad it might be leaving the area after the game.

Thanks...

That is a long drive after a game. I have season tickets but I stay with family in Northern Va and head back early Monday morning(5am) This week I am bringing the family though and the wife has to work Monday morning so We (SHE)will drive back Sunday night this week. As far as traffic though both bridges on 495 are usually backed up and it will take you 45minutes to go 4 miles. Once you cross the bridge though the traffic magically dissapears. From now on I think I am going to cut through D.C. and take 395.

I have family in and around Raleigh and when i have had to do the up and back (when games fall on or near a major holiday), we have taken 301 out of the Fredericksburg area across the Potomac especially on a Sunday evening when 95 can be a nightmare. When leaving the stadium, just take Central ave to 301 S. You will be motoring right along. It's not the best option for some, but we used to use this route a lot when we lived in VA Beach as well.

Just a thought. It's cool that you're making the trip.

That is a long drive after a game. I have season tickets but I stay with family in Northern Va and head back early Monday morning(5am) This week I am bringing the family though and the wife has to work Monday morning so We (SHE)will drive back Sunday night this week. As far as traffic though both bridges on 495 are usually backed up and it will take you 45minutes to go 4 miles. Once you cross the bridge though the traffic magically dissapears. From now on I think I am going to cut through D.C. and take 395.

That's what I usually do to get back to Alexandria on game days. It works like a charm. I highly recommend it!

TODD, it might sound dumb, but i would come up, take the Franconia Rd in Springfield. Metro from there to the closest exit to the stadium... You already have a 5 hour drive, sitting in traffic will EXHAUST YOU. Then, after the game, take the metro back to your car, and jump right back on 95. It's going to be a lot less of a headache that way.

I live in Springfield myself and it honestly took me over an hour to get back to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge last week on the way home. Luckily i had been drinking (so i wasnt driving) and i actually fell asleep on the ride back.

It might sound like a headache but you dont want to sit in that traffic. I'd say get together with the Metro Regulars to find the best route and make sure you head in the right direction.

TODD, to avoid the traffic at the WW bridge and other areas along 495, may i suggest you take CENTRAL AVENUE SOUTH (it may be east) after the game(central avenue is one of the main roads the stadium is off of) to 301 south. Take that until you run into 95. I see you are in NC, thats the way i would go home if i lived down there. There is a $3 toll when going into VA from MD over the 301 bridge, aka "nice bridge" You wont ever be standing still like you will on 495.

Google the rout and see if thats good for you, and GL

I have family in and around Raleigh and when i have had to do the up and back (when games fall on or near a major holiday), we have taken 301 out of the Fredericksburg area across the Potomac especially on a Sunday evening when 95 can be a nightmare. When leaving the stadium, just take Central ave to 301 S. You will be motoring right along. It's not the best option for some, but we used to use this route a lot when we lived in VA Beach as well.

Heading back to Richmond, this is exactly what I do. I will never, ever take another route home other than 301 South.

This is definitely the best option. i came up for game against Detroit and drove back to Greensboro right after game. I avoid the beltway and 95 at all cost...

G

I stay till the lot clears and tailgate, then hop on 495 toward the WW bridge, take the Pennsylvania Ave. exit and take it to 295. Take 295 S to the WW bridge. This avoids the huge backup on 495. Then hop on Route 1 south and stop at the Kripsy Kreme store for some fresh hot just baked donuts. mmm

Then take route 1 home.

I make the trip up from NC for about five games a season, and take it from me & the other posters here, definitely take 301 instead of going up 95 to the beltline. I have made that mistake twice and I will never do it again. Both times gridlock once I got close to the 95/495 intersection.

I live right outside of Hickory, NC and it takes me exactly 6 hours to get to Waldorf, MD which is where I have stayed for the games this season.

My route is I-40 to Durham, then I-85 to Petersburg, I-95 (or I-

295 which is the beltline around Richmond) through Richmond to Hwy 301 N (which is exit 104 off 95) You will go through Bowling Green, (where Fort AP Hill is located) Port Royal, and Chestnut Hill in VA before crossing the Potomac River Bridge into Maryland. No toll going north, but $3 coming back south.

Once in MD, you will go through La Plata and then come into Waldorf. From there, it is about a 35-40 min. drive to Fedex Field. And actually, I always come in the back way from there too instead of chancing it and taking Hwy 5 all the way to the beltline. I stay on 301 N like I'm going to Baltimore, then take a left in Upper Marlboro on Marlboro Pike, go about 1/4 mile, then take a right onto Hwy 202 which is Largo Road. This will take you all the way into Landover. Largo Rd. turns into Landover Rd once you cross Central Ave (Hwy 214). Once you pass Central Avenue, go to the next stop light and take a left onto Arena Drive, and head straight into the stadium. This is a great way into the stadium if you want to avoid the hassles of traffic jams.

Hail!! :point2sky

:applause: :applause: This is how I got back home. No big waits anywhere..smoooooothe sailing. To & fro!

I make the trip up from NC for about five games a season, and take it from me & the other posters here, definitely take 301 instead of going up 95 to the beltline. I have made that mistake twice and I will never do it again. Both times gridlock once I got close to the 95/495 intersection.

I live right outside of Hickory, NC and it takes me exactly 6 hours to get to Waldorf, MD which is where I have stayed for the games this season.

My route is I-40 to Durham, then I-85 to Petersburg, I-95 (or I-

295 which is the beltline around Richmond) through Richmond to Hwy 301 N (which is exit 104 off 95) You will go through Bowling Green, (where Fort AP Hill is located) Port Royal, and Chestnut Hill in VA before crossing the Potomac River Bridge into Maryland. No toll going north, but $3 coming back south.

Once in MD, you will go through La Plata and then come into Waldorf. From there, it is about a 35-40 min. drive to Fedex Field. And actually, I always come in the back way from there too instead of chancing it and taking Hwy 5 all the way to the beltline. I stay on 301 N like I'm going to Baltimore, then take a left in Upper Marlboro on Marlboro Pike, go about 1/4 mile, then take a right onto Hwy 202 which is Largo Road. This will take you all the way into Landover. Largo Rd. turns into Landover Rd once you cross Central Ave (Hwy 214). Once you pass Central Avenue, go to the next stop light and take a left onto Arena Drive, and head straight into the stadium. This is a great way into the stadium if you want to avoid the hassles of traffic jams.

Hail!! :point2sky

Going the 202 rout is a little slower IMHO, just take 301 to central avenue, higher speed limit, less lights, and most of 202 is a single lane each way until you get near the stadium, my :2cents: I live in Waldorf.

I drive up from Richmond for every game (been doing it for over 25 years). Here's the deal...Don't listen to these guys:

Take 95 North to the Beltway. Once you cross the Wilson Bridge, take 295 North. Take this until you exit at Route 202. Once you get off the exit, turn Right (east) and go about 3 miles. You'll see a guy waving a flag on the right (at a traffic light at the bottom of a hill). Make this right, then a left at the next flag waver. Pay your $20 and you'll be right at the corner of Redskins Drive and Brightseat Rd, at the entrance to the stadium. Drink beer, pee, go to the game.

The trick is to get to the WW bridge about 1030am. After that, you are eff'd. It gets pretty nasty. Never, ever go to the Snyder parking lots. It sucks and you pay $35(?) to park and take a bus.

Leaving is even better. Same route. I can get to Richmond in 2 hours. Sometimes 2.5 hours. Still not bad. Just DO NOT ever head towards the Beltway. Take 295 south towards DC and life is grand....

btw...the 301/202 route everyone is talking about is filled with traffic lights. If 95 North is jammed, jump off and take Route 1 North to the Beltway (brings you out at the Wilson Bridge) then follow the same route above. Route 202/301 is fine if you want to hit traffic lights. If no traffic on 495/95S you're doing at least 70mph for the trip. Can't beat it...

Going the 202 rout is a little slower IMHO, just take 301 to central avenue, higher speed limit, less lights, and most of 202 is a single lane each way until you get near the stadium, my :2cents: I live in Waldorf.

Yeah, I've taken that route as well.... But, one time traffic did back up pretty good on Central Avenue after the game headed back towards 301. And this was after we stayed and tailgated for a while after the game. So, I decided to try the 202 route and that's the way I've been coming in since then.

Take 301 to 202. It will be a breeze.

Just get on 301 after Richmond and continue into Maryland.

The toughest part would be finding 202 after being on 301. While on 301N it would be a Left onto Marlboro Pike Road. This would be tough even though that it is at a stoplight, 301 isn't a large highway with numbers for each exit so you'd have to have an idea of when to start looking for your turn.

There would be a Shell gas station on the left and you'd be maybe a quarter mile past exits for Route 4. In about 50 yards, you'll pass over train tracks and almost immediately you'll want to take a right onto 202N and this will pretty much take you all the way to FedEx field (you'll see parking signs and such).

I'd suggest bringing a map.

I'm not sure how 495 is before the game, but I'd take this route both ways. The only traffic I ever see is about 20-30 minutes of stop-and-go traffic at a light as people try to exit onto 495 AFTER the game. Once you pass the 495 exits on 202, its smooth sailing.

Archived