Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Traffic on 495/95-S after the game...

TODD

Well I can't speak for 495/95 S because we take it N, but chances of you getting out of the parking lot within an hour, if you stay the entire game, are slim to none. At least stay for a little post-game tailgate (SO fun when we win because everyone is drunk and socialable and friendly) and just enjoy yourself. It's better then sitting in your car for an hour or two wasting gas in the parking lot, which is what will happen if you try to leave right after the game.

A lot will depend on where your seats are in relation to your car. my seats were in the lower bowl near the exit I needed and my car was close to the stadium and near a parking lot exit. about 2-2.5 hours to get to richmond. If you do not beat the ruch you will be sitting in traffic.

And No I did not leave before the games ended.

That is a long drive after a game. I have season tickets but I stay with family in Northern Va and head back early Monday morning(5am) This week I am bringing the family though and the wife has to work Monday morning so We (SHE)will drive back Sunday night this week. As far as traffic though both bridges on 495 are usually backed up and it will take you 45minutes to go 4 miles. Once you cross the bridge though the traffic magically dissapears. From now on I think I am going to cut through D.C. and take 395.

I live in Northern VA, but we go through DC every week. Once you get away from the stadium itself, there's very little traffic. I have no idea why so many people take the beltway each week, but if you know how to get through the city I highly recommend that route.

I see how I am not the only Va bch Es'er here that's cool.

Stay after the game,light some charcoal and have some dogs,then when your done the traffic is settled down, usually a nice run home,about 4 hours.

Eight o'clock games suck though because then sun is just about up when I get home.

I always stay on the beltway and try to avoid getting off except for gas at campus way off central before the stadium, I leave in time from home enough to hit the lot before the jam and I also don't exactly like the amount of enforcement on those side roads that I don't know very well.

just a few tips from a beach ES'er. Happy motoring.

Sam

I live in Northern VA, but we go through DC every week. Once you get away from the stadium itself, there's very little traffic. I have no idea why so many people take the beltway each week, but if you know how to get through the city I highly recommend that route.
I agree. I take the beltway there, but as others have said, you want to hit the WW bridge by 10 or 10:30 or it's backed up.

I tailgate after the game, then wind my way on backroads to Penn Ave. Takes a little over an hour to get to Reston.

Get a mini TV and watch the 4 o'clock game. Cause will be MUCH more bearable afterwards. You got the large amount of people. A percenatge are drunk. A percentage get into accidents. Then EVERYBODY has slow down and look at whats going on. Thats why I chill around the stadium after games.

That's the best way to do it ... I pull everything out and fire up the grill for an early dinner. I don't encounter too many problems even on the Beltway two or three hours after the game ends.

The late game this Sunday has the Vikings at the Pokes which could be interesting if Peterson romps like he did against Chicago.

cheers

I have family in and around Raleigh and when i have had to do the up and back (when games fall on or near a major holiday), we have taken 301 out of the Fredericksburg area across the Potomac especially on a Sunday evening when 95 can be a nightmare. When leaving the stadium, just take Central ave to 301 S. You will be motoring right along. It's not the best option for some, but we used to use this route a lot when we lived in VA Beach as well.

Just a thought. It's cool that you're making the trip.

Stay on 301S (turns into 207) and follow it to 95S at mile marker/exit 104. Gas is usually pretty cheap at any of the stations at 104 (AKA Carmel Church)

There is a $3 toll to cross the Potomac river coming south, none if you are going North.

I agree. I take the beltway there, but as others have said, you want to hit the WW bridge by 10 or 10:30 or it's backed up.

I tailgate after the game, then wind my way on backroads to Penn Ave. Takes a little over an hour to get to Reston.

One way or the other, I usually get back to Vienna at halftime of the next game. If it's a 1 PM game, I'm home by the 2 minute warning of the first half for the 4 PM game...or the sunday nighter if it's a 4 PM game. Like most regulars, I have a "system" I guess, and that's to go through the city and stay the heck off the beltway. If I'm forced to go around the beltway it'll be around the Silver Spring/Rockville side. After you get about 5 miles from the stadium it opens up and it's pretty clear the rest of the way home.

BRUTAL I come down from Philly for games you just have to deal

I went to the playoff clincher in Philly two years ago, and I never imagined that it would take as long to get home as it did. We waited an hour to get out of the parking lot, and then there was a three mile backup at the Delaware toll plaza (to cross back into MD). If I ever go up there again, it'll have to be an early game.

Archived