Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To Blitz or Not To Blitz, That Is The Question

NattyLight

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It's been widely discussed on Redskins Radio that we did not implement blitz packages against Detroit. It worked. Last week the Redskins stopped a red hot Lions offense...using four man fronts and great secondary play.

Hell, our ol' boy Andre Carter even got us a safety (and me 12.5 FFP).

In the second half of last week's Bears / Pack game, the Bears put continuous pressure on Favre via the blitz forcing their high-ocatane Offe nse into paralysis...and ultimately, the win. However, it was not blitzing on the part of the Bears that led to good secondary positions to make crushing hits, resulting in 2 turnovers in the first half that kept the Bears within arms reach.

So, how do you think G. Williams prepares to crush the NFL all time leading TD passer, and his number 1 ranked passing offense?

Well it depends. Our scheme worked against the Lions because Martz expected GW to blitz like crazy. Now, since Green Bay is very similar to Detroit, McCarthy and company will be expecting us to use the same scheme. We need to catch them off guard and blitz like crazy. Sounds logical, right? Whatever, I voted for blitzing seldom since it worked so well last time.

I see situational blitzing. But not all out like 2004-05.

Then again, GB doesn't have much of a running game and Brett leg's aren't going to get the first downs. So maybe playing like we did against the Lions did would be a good thing. But Gregg is too smart to let a team gameplan against his previous weeks defense.

gotta mix it up. only reason "not blitzing" worked against the Lions is because Martz is a stubborn, arrogant moron who assumes everyone wants to blitz his D and is too dumb to change his gameplan. Can't assume GB coaches will be that stupid this week. Gotta catch 'em off guard.

I chose blitz seldom. I think we should use some of the same strategy by letting our safeties play the pass in cover 2, and eliminate the long balls or slants. Let the line get the pressure on Favre and let the LBs lay back in zone coverage and contain the run [or lack there of].

you gotta blitz some against these guys. They have a pretty good offensive line that our front four won't be able to manhandle. And even if we don't blitz we're gonna have to put an extra man in the box from time to time because Green Bay actually tries to run the ball a little bit. The packers run a lot of screens and draws to slow down the pass rush, unlike detroit who sent 5 guys deep every play. It's gonna be a challenge for our defense and we're gonna have to mix it up a little against those guys.

Probably another game where we stay off the blitz thing for the most part. Seems like Favre will get ballsy and attempt some throughs into coverage if he feels he needs too. We have to honor the run because they have been working on their run game implementation all year and one of these days they are gonna get that working better. The occasional blitz up the middle with DE stunts can force Brett to scramble, which is where he makes throws of desperation.

Can't wait to see thise game. Should be a battle of the coaches as well as the players.

HTTR

I think we'll blitz a fair amount. This isn't Detroit, their line is much better. Also, we won't be able to come out on first down with a complete pass rush line of Carter, Daniels, Griffin and M Dub the way we did against Detroit because McCarthy isn't bat **** insane like Martz and will attempt to run the ball and protect his QB (sometimes I think Martz likes watching his QB get hit). I think this week if we sit back like that ALL game, Favre will eventually pick us apart. I think we'll need to bring some pressure packages to try and force mistakes.

Im for mixing it up and primrily bringing the heat on 2nd/3rd and long distance. This will force favre to get rid of the ball quick (if we get to him) short of the first down, we can get sacks and/or he will force to ball and we can get some turnovers.

It all depends on the flow of the game. How good is Green Bays o-line?

Favre seems to be able to pick apart defenses with time to work in the pocket and when he executes designed plays. However, Favre is going to try and force the ball out when he has pressure.

Hopefully we can pressure with the front 4. I liked last week how we had MW at DE. I would like to see the same look this week.

Farve gets rid of the ball really quick and they run a lot of slants. Therefore, I don't see the point of blitzing when the ball will be out before we even get close to him. We have to be careful not to let a 5 yard slant turn into a long TD when we blitz, if we choose to blitz.

Archived