Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who said the Skins can't draft?

Brave

The Redskins organization has, in recent years, received its share of criticism regarding the draft. To be sure, much of it fair and deserved. However, as I look up and down this line-up, they've assembled some nice talent through the draft. Talent that is paying dividends right now for this team:

Ladell Betts

Jason Campbell

Chris Cooley

(Jon Jansen)

LaRon Landry

Rocky Macintosh

Carlos Rogers

Chris Samuels

Sean Taylor

Considering how futile this team is portrayed at the draft, that's a pretty nice list. Now ... let's go get some more. :)

THe problem with the skins is not drafting. It never has been drafting. The problem is that they have never had enough draft picks to adequately build thruogh the draft. Therefore they have had roster and depth problems at key positions which has lead them to splurge in the offseason and reap little reward from it making them pretty criticizable.

This is one of the main things I feel Gibbs has turned around significantly. Although we should probably get some better scouting on offense, the defensive scouting has been amazing. Outside of Campbell and Cooley we really havent drafted anybody that great on offense since Gibbs came in.

don't forget keenen mccardell

the problem with the list you have up there though, is that those are all first day draft picks, i believe. nobody says that we don't pick good top 10 draft picks, it's more an issue that we have no depth b/c we don't have or keep any day 2 picks.

The people you chose to list actually don't help your argument that much since its mainly a bunch of first rounders and a few second rounders. Not to mention, that for a few, we gave up more than just one pick.

With that said, we have to be impressed with the Golston and Montgomery pick. Stephon Heyer might also turn out to be a player. A few more finds like that and then you'd have a more valid argument.

The Redskins organization has, in recent years, received its share of criticism regarding the draft. To be sure, much of it fair and deserved. However, as I look up and down this line-up, they've assembled some nice talent through the draft. Talent that is paying dividends right now for this team:

Ladell Betts

Jason Campbell

Chris Cooley

(Jon Jansen)

LaRon Landry

Rocky Macintosh

Carlos Rogers

Chris Samuels

Sean Taylor

Considering how futile this team is portrayed at the draft, that's a pretty nice list. Now ... let's go get some more. :)

Yeah, since the Gibbs era we have drafted well. We started getting a bad reputation for drafting lousy with the Westbrook and Shuler picks in 94' and 95'. Marty drafted Fred Smoot, which was a good selection. Spurrier's best pick was Patrick Ramsey and as we know, Ramsey was trade value equaled into a 6th round pick four years later.

You are on point here but what we've been derided for in the past, and rightly so, is that we deal too many picks away. I'm hoping that this is something we've finally put in the past because even though we do have some talent developing, we do need more depth than we presently have on board. Basically, we're less able to handle injuries than other teams are because they haven't dealt picks away. I'm stoked how this team is coming together though and I think we've finally got the franchise QB we've needed the past 10+ years. HTTFR!

Archived