Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean Taylor Deserves a Raise

rvan1

Said before, will say again, to this point in the season, Taylor's the league's best defensive player. He's changing every game and you hardly ever hear his name. It's amazing what he's doing.

In the past, i would never agree with this, but this year, yea he is playing on a whole new level. I thank GW for finally putting him where he needs to be.

The best part is taylor gives 110% on Special Teams as well. Gotta love it.

Sean Taylor is in the 4th year of his 7 year/18 million dollar contract. Landry has a 5 year, 41.5 mil (max) contract with at least 17.5 mil in guaranteed money. Does Sean Taylor have a right to be miffed? yes. Do the skins need to bump up ST before a holdout next season? yes. Is it early to talking about this sorta thing? never too early. Oh and just a reminder, Arch's contract was 7 year, 35 mil, 10 mil in bonuses. WHY ARE THE SKINS' ****ing around with Taylor and not giving him enough money to keep him in DC forever?!?!?!

If he is in year 4, dont worry that means there is year 5,6, and 7. To Talk contracts, i would expect them to get a deal done but with so many years left sitting out a season is not possible for ST.

Sean Taylor is in the 4th year of his 7 year/18 million dollar contract. Landry has a 5 year, 41.5 mil (max) contract with at least 17.5 mil in guaranteed money. Does Sean Taylor have a right to be miffed? yes. Do the skins need to bump up ST before a holdout next season? yes. Is it early to talking about this sorta thing? never too early. Oh and just a reminder, Arch's contract was 7 year, 35 mil, 10 mil in bonuses. WHY ARE THE SKINS' ****ing around with Taylor and not giving him enough money to keep him in DC forever?!?!?!

1. Because a contract is a contract. I'm sick of hearing guys say they outplayed their contract. Sports are the only business where a contract isn't a contract. Except maybe pre-nups. Is Lloyd giving money back for sucking? Did Archuletta, Deion, Smith, (don't have time for full list). . .It is a complete double standard. Unless players are willing to be docked for underplaying their contract, I'm sick of hearing they should be resigned halfway in for having overplayed. The best indicator of person's future performance is their past--and contracts (except teams like us that play Vegas with Lloyd, etc.) reflect this fact.

2. Because this is the first year he came into camp with his head screwed on straight, as a truly focused professional ready to maximize his potential.

3. I'm not dogging Taylor here, I love the guy, think he did the right thing in shooting at those dudes, and consider him our best player, but the unknowns in his past that started with num-nutted acts from the second he entered the league.

4. Because we signed tits like Lloyd and Arch, and don't have the cap room. This franchise consistenly fails to resign quality veterans while quibbling over what amounts to nickels, and then drastically overpays FAs. I haven't done the math, but at this rate, Lloyd will earn something in the neighborhood of a MIL per pass.

5. Because 80M is alot to have tied up at the safety positon. No matter how good those safeties are, and they are both great, that is a pile of money.

6. Contrast the Cowboys, who are $13M under the cap. They can extend Romo sits to pee this year, and the bulk of his bonus is already off the books cap wise. We are not in the same position in large part because of our free agent policy. Wouldn't it be great if we were $10M under, and could extend Taylor without screwing the future, actually front-loading the future?

7. The bigger labor picture. If you give Taylor a new deal halfway into his deal, then every player halfway into their deal will expect the same.

8. Vick. No, Taylor is nowhere in the ballpark, but the truth is the bulk of his NFL career has been characterized by erratic behaviour and play. An extra 20M is a lot of money for a guy who has been fully matured for 4 regular season games. After two full camps of maturity, its easier to call it the new status quo with him. At present, any careful businessman would have to look at the totality of his behaviour since entering league and call him a risk.

8. Give Taylor credit. He and his agent probably know all this. He is doing the right thing, being a class act, focusing on the game. He does that the rest of this year, and comes to camp next year and does the same thing, he'll get his monster deal.

9. I have to say it again. The fact that Taylor does NOT act like Samuels, TO, or Briggs is one of the major reasons I love the guy. He is the antithesis of the typical primadonna hole pro athlete, and I love it. He's acting like Jerry Rice these days, instead of holes like Chad Johnson. Another example, I loved seeing Rogers make the INT and just put the ball down instead of hot dogging. I loved Taylors quote earlier in the year about being blessed to make millions playing a child's game. If Taylor is disgruntled, he is being classy and smart enough to handle things in a professional and low-key manner. God bless him.

10. Next year really seems about the right time to extend. I hope it happens.

how about...A. he plays out the contract he signed and B. you stop talking about giving him a raise making him think that the fans will think he would be justified in holding out next year if he wants to.

Assuming he continues his high level of play through this year, he would be justified in holding out next year. He's grossly underpaid.

You can't give every one of your playmakers huge as contracts every year...there's a thing called a salary cap. Look at who we signed last year:

Arch, Lloyd, ARE, Carter, and Betts (towards the end)

This year:

Fletcher, Cooley, Smoot, Landry

Trust me, next year or the year thereafter, ST will get his money.

Assuming he continues his high level of play through this year, he would be justified in holding out next year. He's grossly underpaid.

Grossly underpaid, eh?

2004: 13MIL signing bonus

2005: 9MIL Pro-bowl

2006: 9MIL Pro-bowl (maybe a little less as an alternate)

2007: ???

Assuming he makes the probowl, and racks up ANOTHER 9MIL that would be the maximum amount allowed under his contract, 40MIL and he would be making 10MIL a year over 4 years!?! Grossly underpaid.

Am I interpreting this right? He would have to restructure his contract in 2008 to actually get paid, correct?

he signed a contract. he is being paid what he bargained for. end of story. there is no "grossly underpaid." he's getting paid what he signed for.

he signed a contract. he is being paid what he bargained for. end of story. there is no "grossly underpaid." he's getting paid what he signed for.

Not quite. The team doesn't have to honor the contract. They can part ways at any point. If he is uderperforming, the team would either ask him to take a pay cut or he would be released. If he performs beyond expectations, then he has every right to ask for a raise. He can even hold out and decide not to honor the deal, just like the team can release him.

Not quite. The team doesn't have to honor the contract. They can part ways at any point. If he is uderperforming, the team would either ask him to take a pay cut or he would be released. If he performs beyond expectations, then he has every right to ask for a raise. He can even hold out and decide not to honor the deal, just like the team can release him.

i'm well aware that the teams hold the trump card over contracts, but taylor signed his contract. he signed it, so he should honor it. there are still at least 3 years left of his original contract. there is no reason for anybody to start discussing increasing his pay or him holding out.

so drop it.

i'm well aware that the teams hold the trump card over contracts, but taylor signed his contract. he signed it, so he should honor it. there are still at least 3 years left of his original contract. there is no reason for anybody to start discussing increasing his pay or him holding out.

so drop it.

He can decide he doesn't want to play for that deal. Completely within his right. The team needs to step up and extend him sooner. He will be resigned and each week will increase the price that will be paid. It is hilarious how fans always see it one way, both the player and the team sign the contract. Why should the team be the only party allowed to change the terms?

Said before, will say again, to this point in the season, Taylor's the league's best defensive player. He's changing every game and you hardly ever hear his name. It's amazing what he's doing.

This is so true it's not even funny. There was one play early in the Lion's game where Kitna tried the deep ball to Furrey I believe and overthrew him, but other than that there were no deep ball attempts. Know why? Sean Taylor.

He will get signed before his contract is up. Especially if GW is still here, don't expect to see ST leave. Mr. Snyder will make him the leagues highest paid safety. He deserves it.

ST signed the richest deal for a safety the time he signed as a rookie. He plays for his teammates. He was only miffed at first because Kellen Winslow's daddy made that idiotic comment that ST signed a bad deal(richest ever for a safety at the time)

He can decide he doesn't want to play for that deal. Completely within his right. The team needs to step up and extend him sooner. He will be resigned and each week will increase the price that will be paid. It is hilarious how fans always see it one way, both the player and the team sign the contract. Why should the team be the only party allowed to change the terms?

you are completely wrong. he has two options: play the contract he signed, or sit out and not play football. holding out is a recourse to a union strike. the difference however, is that when you hold out, you are going on strike for something that you already bargained for and now are unhappy about.

i completely understand the issues involved in contract negotiations and sports law; what is hillarious is that you think it is simply his right to hold out.

Archived